U.S. grounds entire F-35 fleet pending engine inspections

--

July 4th, 2014  
jillyz12

Topic: U.S. grounds entire F-35 fleet pending engine inspections

http://news.yahoo.com/u-grounds-enti...--finance.html
July 5th, 2014  
Remington 1858

The F-35 is an aircraft that communicates with it's host via satellite from anywhere in the world. The engine and other critical components notify it's masters of any real or potential maintenance issues. The USAF maintainers say that the F-35 is the "whinny airplane". It complains about everything, and believe me when it does, the USAF crews have to drop everything and fix it even if it is a fly in the engine intake. This airplane is just being introduced into squadron service and there is a "de-bugging" process that will go on for sometime. The USAF doesn't want to lose one of these planes, so they are treating them with kid gloves.However, it's not like these are the only planes in USAF service, they have plenty of others, so a temporary grounding to resolve maintenance issues is no big deal.
July 7th, 2014  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington 1858
The F-35 is an aircraft that communicates with it's host via satellite from anywhere in the world. The engine and other critical components notify it's masters of any real or potential maintenance issues. The USAF maintainers say that the F-35 is the "whinny airplane". It complains about everything, and believe me when it does, the USAF crews have to drop everything and fix it even if it is a fly in the engine intake. This airplane is just being introduced into squadron service and there is a "de-bugging" process that will go on for sometime. The USAF doesn't want to lose one of these planes, so they are treating them with kid gloves.However, it's not like these are the only planes in USAF service, they have plenty of others, so a temporary grounding to resolve maintenance issues is no big deal.
Interesting for the stealth and electronics thy gave up a fair amount of speed. Its only about 2/3 as fast as the F-15
--
July 8th, 2014  
Yossarian

The Premise of Stealth I fear however, and any project coordinator with foresight or Congressional Defense Committee member should take into account the very real possibility that research into stealth neutralizing weapons , since on par are capable of being cheaper, may outpace Stealth development itself. Turning the F 35 Into a smooth sided Turkey if our adversaries can abandon building comparable stealth planes to match, and just build capable conventional fighters, as well as using the time effort and money saved to build more types of anti stealth weaponry.

Also if the United States is the only serious proponent of stealth and the only nation force feeding it's armed services to live with it.

Then if I were a potential adversary I would work with other nations to build weapons to take out this innovation or avoid it all together. Giving me a degree of freedom in find ways to neutralize it.

Just an thought.
July 8th, 2014  
JOC

Topic: F-35

I believe that only ~95 have been built a reasonably limited number of F-35 fighter to date. They appear to want to eventually but all their eggs in the stealth basket using this fighter for the US Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and then share a version of the plane with our allies there after.

Both the F15 and F16 are considerable faster and very well armed. The F-35 is slated to replace the F15, F16 and F22 in the years ahead. The F15 however will still stay in service until at least 2025.
July 9th, 2014  
VDKMS

Stealth does not make the plane invisible but much harder to detect. The slower speed is probably to reduce the propablity of Infra Red detection. The higher the speed the hotter the plane and the engines gets the easier it is to detect with IR. If I'm not mistaken the Russians are betting on IR to detect stealth planes.

Stealth is not the F-35's best bet, it's the battlefield awareness. This is a force multplier.
July 9th, 2014  
JOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
Stealth does not make the plane invisible but much harder to detect. The slower speed is probably to reduce the propablity of Infra Red detection. The higher the speed the hotter the plane and the engines gets the easier it is to detect with IR. If I'm not mistaken the Russians are betting on IR to detect stealth planes.

Stealth is not the F-35's best bet, it's the battlefield awareness. This is a force multplier.
The only thing that concerns me is that except for some F-16's they are putting all their eggs in one basket. The older technology has proven itself time and again in many dogfights and fighter-bomber-runs and nobody can beat it. I worked as a Electronics-Engineer for > 15 years most of it with military electronics and an intimately familiar with the Kiss principle: to a degree mind you: "keep it simple stupid". That is not to say to not make use of technology but as the complexity increases the amount of unknowns that can be covered by testing becomes questionable. Of course the leak for a virgin product is to be expected.
July 10th, 2014  
VDKMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
The only thing that concerns me is that except for some F-16's they are putting all their eggs in one basket. The older technology has proven itself time and again in many dogfights and fighter-bomber-runs and nobody can beat it. I worked as a Electronics-Engineer for > 15 years most of it with military electronics and an intimately familiar with the Kiss principle: to a degree mind you: "keep it simple stupid". That is not to say to not make use of technology but as the complexity increases the amount of unknowns that can be covered by testing becomes questionable. Of course the leak for a virgin product is to be expected.
Doesn't the US Navy already put all their eggs in one basket with the F/A-18? It seems to work for them.
I'm quite confident in the capabilities of the F-35. The F-22 also had a lot of critique until it showed its capabilities against other planes.
July 10th, 2014  
Yossarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDKMS
Doesn't the US Navy already put all their eggs in one basket with the F/A-18? It seems to work for them.
I'm quite confident in the capabilities of the F-35. The F-22 also had a lot of critique until it showed its capabilities against other planes.

The F 22 also showed catastrophic oxygen system problems theorized to have resulted in the death of an Airman in Alaska few years back, judging by past development cycles for aircraft such as the F 15 or F 16. Having dangerous problems like this after over 20 years development is completely unacceptable. Congress has debated that same question many times.

Honestly I don't think you should ever try to build a airplane on the assembly line and design and test it at the same exact time, it's cheaper and safer to work out bugs on a prototype for 10 years than have 10 half finished planes on the factory floor from 2008 for instance that need to be retrofitted with each redesign sky rocketing the cost.

Then have 10 built in 2009 planes for example that need another retrofit with the original ten 10 from 2008 off to the side blowing the cost even more sky high.

Sounds really complex and like a ton of paper work doesn't it? That's because it is, this whole program makes the F 22 look like a dress rehearsal, and that program still is suffering serious cuts and setbacks. Not to mention every one hour of flight time is accompanied by at least 8 hours maintenance. Imagine strenuous combat situations, how long before the hundreds of systems inboard being to require serious maintenance? What if an F 22 receives shrapnel damage from AA (stranger things have happened) or a new Missile hit? Now you have to fly the whole thing or ship it back in pieces stateside for months of repair work.

Point being, Congress gave in to manufacture pressure, and wrote a blank check, now they see it's a dud and it's far too embarrassing to admit it is , and far to much overspending has occurred that now we are just trying minimize the bleeding and deal with it.

Australia last I checked cast such serious doubt of the F 35 then contemplated pulling out. Senior Members of the Canadian Air force are struggling to throw the plane out of Canada's future force composition all together.

The only one's really spin doctoring it is seems are test pilots and Lockheed, who have said sorry for overruns so many times it's seems to be a adjective forever linked to the plane.

We could have built 100 Stealth like new Generation F 16s with the money spent on the Air Force's Prototype F 35 redesigns alone.

The Engine heating problems are so severe even in certain cruising speed scenarios that hot climate operations and speed restrictions are in place on the F 35 to keep the engine from damaging the adhesives in the airframe. So much for low IR signature.

Plus in the Case of the Royal Navy there is concern over the Plane's exhaust it would case burn damage to equipment on the flight decks of their carriers.

If I were a Russian arms salesmen I'd be throwing new generation Missile technology that hone's on IR signatures all over my sales ads. Effective or not I'd be having a sale's field day.

Countries that signed on, are either backing out or cutting orders, members of project allocation are showing embarrassment.

My opinion? This plane and Lockheed got the DOD and Ministry of Defense excited in bed but then rolled over and went to sleep.
July 20th, 2014  
George

looks like a blade failure. Back in the air.