U.S. confirms drone strike killed al Shabaab leader in Somalia

News Manager

Milforums News Bot
By David Alexander WASHINGTON (Reuters) - An unmanned U.S. aircraft that unleashed Hellfire missiles at a vehicle in Somalia earlier this week killed a leader of the al Shabaab militant group, dealing a setback to its ability to carry out anti-government attacks, the Pentagon said on Wednesday. Rear Admiral John Kirby, the Pentagon press secretary, said in a note on Twitter the department could now "confirm that Tahliil Abdishakur, chief of al Shabaab's intelligence and security wing, was killed in a U.S. air strike in Somalia on 29 December. ...

More...

I do hope for the combined success of the African Forces from several countries trying to restore some semblance of law and order across Somalia.

Although dealing forcefully with the extremist groups has a part to play in rebuilding the shattered war torn nation, I think foreign investors both Private and state bodies, should look for ways to offer employment and a chance at even basic education here and economic development here.

If done right then this would in time sap recruitment away from extremist groups and even help address other problems such as rampant piracy.

I have high hopes for Somalia, I don't expect a metropolis to pop up over night, but seeing peace and the absence of extremist violence here would be a good start, with kids in school and fishermen able to apply their trade instead of forced occupations of desperation such as being child soldiers and pirates.

Back