U.S. Compulsory Military Service?

Would you like the U.S.A. to have compulsory military service?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Bad idea.

I didn't want to be surrounded by people who didn't want to be there. There's a reason why the US militray remains one of the best (arguably the best) in the world. Self-motivated troops, higher re-enlistment rates, rock solid morale even under dire circumstances.

Now, I'm not knocking other countries that use it. Sometimes, it is needed. I'm also proud of the US men that served because of the draft. They didn't ask for it, but they didn't shirk the duty.

I just think it's not the way to build a force capable of maintaining protracted military campaigns.

When I was younger, I used to think that compulsory military service was a good idea, that it would be a good way to keep America's military strength up and provide valuable training as well.

But over the years, I have had opportunities to reflect upon what it means to be an American and enjoy the rights thereof -- especially the Bill of Rights in general and the Second Amendment in particular.

The Second Amendment states that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. Please note that this is the RIGHT to bear arms, not the REQUIREMENT to do so. You cannot give someone the right to do something if you do not also allow them the right not to do it.

Now, this does not mean that I oppose the neccessity of a draft in times of war if such is needed for the good of the nation. But I feel that at present there are enough fire-breathers among our citizenry (including several members of this very forum) to make such an action unneeded at this point. Even if a draft is enacted, there are many ways that a truly conscientious objector can serve without bearing arms.

So no, I don't see the need for America to enact compulsory military service. But that's just my opinion...

I would like everyone to experience the military, but overall it would be bad. As a soldier, I would much rather be with people who want to be there.

I've been on 2 deployments. One to Kosovo while I was active and one to Iraq with the reserves. My deployment to Kosovo was much better because most people on active duty want to be there. In the reserves, there are a few people who did not "sign up" to be deployed. It really sucked working with those people.

Back