U.S. combat vets; a force to be reckoned with

LCPLSMITH

Recent studies suggest that up to 75% of todays United States military has been to Iraq or Afghanistan at one point or another during their careers. The knowledge one learns during combat is invaluable. There is no way to train for war. War is the only way one can truly prepare he or she for the riggers of combat ops. With a military of combat veterans, the United States military makes it self even more powerful. When I went through my training, the war had already begun and all of my instructors at the School of Infantry had been to combat. They taught us more out of their own experiences than on the text books we were issued. This training became invaluable as I used much of what they taught me when I ended up in Iraq. The U.S. Marines have manuals for everything, and they have just begun a huge re-write process of those manuals, especially those concerning Military Operations in an Urban Terrain (MOUT). The United States Marine Corps, known for being stingy in terms of sign on bonuses, now offers up to $80,000 re-enlistment bonuses (depending on the Marines military occupational specialty). They are willing, now, to give out kickers (extra money every month as incentive pay), and told me they'd give me $10,000 just for passing the Basic Reconnaissance Course at Coronado island in San Diego. This clearly shows that the U.S. military values its combat veterans more than its recruits (as they don't give initial sign on bonuses). Offering huge re-enlistment bonuses is an incredibly smart move by the U.S. Department of Defense.

How the hell did this "report" end up with the number of 75%? Only about 1 in 7 soldiers has an MOS that would be considered a combat role, granted war has a way of dragging people into it, but still, 75 percent? I'm calling the bluff here, the Air Force has very few boots on the ground in Iraq, the Navy doesn't dock at Basra on a regular basis, the Marines are spread all over the world with Embassy duties and the whole have to be ready to hit any beach any time with 48 hours policy. Plus our presence in Afghanistan has never been that large, we probably have more troops in Germany, Japan and South Korea (separate, not combined) than we ever did in Afghanistan.

This clearly shows that the U.S. military values its combat veterans more than its recruits (as they don't give initial sign on bonuses).

A.) Yes, the military should always value its veterans more than finding new recruits. B.) Where do you get this idea that the military doesn't have "sign on" (enlistment?) bonuses? When I initially joined three years ago my enlistment bonus was.... $5,000ish back when the Army was still exceeding its legitimate quotas, not these ridiculously reduced numbers that the Army uses now because missing their mark for 15 consecutive months doesn't look good, today's enlistment bonuses are up to $20,000 in the Army, see link below.

Link

How the hell did this "report" end up with the number of 75%? Only about 1 in 7 soldiers has an MOS that would be considered a combat role, granted war has a way of dragging people into it, but still, 75 percent? I'm calling the bluff here, the Air Force has very few boots on the ground in Iraq, the Navy doesn't dock at Basra on a regular basis, the Marines are spread all over the world with Embassy duties and the whole have to be ready to hit any beach any time with 48 hours policy. Plus our presence in Afghanistan has never been that large, we probably have more troops in Germany, Japan and South Korea (separate, not combined) than we ever did in Afghanistan.

A.) Yes, the military should always value its veterans more than finding new recruits. B.) Where do you get this idea that the military doesn't have "sign on" (enlistment?) bonuses? When I initially joined three years ago my enlistment bonus was.... $5,000ish back when the Army was still exceeding its legitimate quotas, not these ridiculously reduced numbers that the Army uses now because missing their mark for 15 consecutive months doesn't look good, today's enlistment bonuses are up to $20,000 in the Army, see link below.

Link

Recent studies suggest that up to 75% of todays United States military has been to Iraq or Afghanistan at one point or another during their careers.

Need I say more?

Last I knew the Marine Corps is the only service that did not do sign on bonuses. He may have been a bit bias and was speaking of the USMC on points rather than the military as a whol.e

Last edited:
Back