U.S. Army Special Forces

Remember21

So I've been wanting to go to West Point since the 8th grade, and I am still working towards that goal (I am now a Junior) But when, and if I graduate from west point what will I do? I am interested in Special Forces,and I know it takes alot of training. I've read alot of different things about them. But I havn't found anything on how dangerous it is being involved, such as comparison's to Infantry or anyother Combat MOS. Don't want to sound like a coward....just wondering.

You can not be in any SOF unit and expect it to be safe.

For reading materials, check PM.

I was trained by Australian SAS in 1 Commando Company in Sydney. You need to be a more independent intelligent person. You have to be mentally tough as well as physically. They do wonderful things like sending you on a 20 mile run and as you get to the trucks they drive off leaving you to walk back. They test your ability to operate under extreme stress and sleeplessness. They watch your attitude to see if you moan a lot or if you just suck it up. You tend to operate in smaller teams and there is a little more latitude between officers and men.

I was trained by Australian SAS in 1 Commando Company in Sydney. You need to be a more independent intelligent person. You have to be mentally tough as well as physically. They do wonderful things like sending you on a 20 mile run and as you get to the trucks they drive off leaving you to walk back. They test your ability to operate under extreme stress and sleeplessness. They watch your attitude to see if you moan a lot or if you just suck it up. You tend to operate in smaller teams and there is a little more latitude between officers and men.

You were in 1:st Cdo Regt?

What squadron were your instructors from?
Would be interested to get intouch with some of the old dogs of war..

1 Commanco Company is a reserve unit but trains much more intensely than other reserves. The Major in charge and the Warrant Officers were on secondment from Perth. Besides being a regular soldier, 1 Com Comp is the only way you can enter the SAS. We lost about 1 or 2 a year to them. It was about 25 years ago so names are a bit fuzzy. If you think I am a BS er so be it. I never did anything but train anyway.

Some advice for what it's worth.

I was USASF 1966-1970.
2 tours on the Cambodian border.
I am active in the SF assn and belong to a coiple SF specific boards who discuss this stuff all day every day.
All ranks, all time periods present.

Guys who are or who make it into SF never even consider a question like you asked.

That's not just some chest thumping BS-just the facts.

If you are not a self motivator who has learned to take the future as a challange to be experienced, forget SF-simple as that.

One question, can you join the SF as a junior? I thought that the SF were selected experienced soldiers from normal army branches?

What do you understand by junior?

It varies somewhat depending on which country we're talking about. In Denmark you can choose either the Army or Navy. In the Army you must be at least 18 years and have fulfilled your national service before you can apply for the admission test. In the Navy you must be minimum 19 years old before you can apply but you don´t need to have a military background.

I mean can we join the Special forces since its first year in the army...

Or do they have to join a military branch, get experience on the field, and then be called for a special forces training...

You can enlist with a 18X contract at initial entry into the armed services. You will go to Fort Benning for Infantry school and then Airborne school after that. You have to pass the PT test to a certian standard before you can move further along the pipeline. I had 6 - 10 guys with 18X contracts at Infantry school with me and not a single one made it to selection.

Last edited:
Back