U.S. Army Motor Transport Operator + airborn.

Toyuzu

I've completed enlistment and my MOS is 88M. (Motor transport operator). I was also offered the opportunity to earn my "wings" in airborn training. I jumped at the chance without thinking, since I have always wanted to learn how to sky-dive.

But now I'm wondering how an airborn qualification applies to a motor transport operator. :? Any ideas?

its the army, they want to throw you out the AC then the humvee and see who hits the ground first :p. actually i think its an incentive thing, like buy this car get free gas for a year, join the army get your jump wings, doesnt have to do anything w/ your primary MOS, just another cool cert you can get, that i someday want :)

But remember military parachuting and skydiving are completly different as you will find out.

LIPS said:
But remember military parachuting and skydiving are completly different as you will find out.

I'm sure they are quite different. From what I've seen, there is very little free-fall time before the 'chute is deployed in the mililtary.

There are two types in the US military .. static-line and free fall (HALO/HAHO and HANO if you're really unlucky). You will not attend free fall.

There is no free fall in static line parachuting, you are attatched to a line until your chute deploys (once you get to the end of it, it pulls your chute for you). From exit to deployment you have four seconds, if your canopy isn't open in four seconds, you're in trouble.

As for needing it, you won't in your MOS. It's uniform candy and you'll never do anything with it unless you decide to change MOSes later.

If you want to sky dive, you will have to take a civilian course.

I do not agree with sending soldiers to courses that do not serve a purpose for them, but if they are offering you the course, take it if it interests you. You may find later that you want to do something that will require you to be abn qual'd and it will make the transition easier.

RnderSafe said:
There are two types in the US military .. static-line and free fall (HALO/HAHO and HANO if you're really unlucky). You will not attend free fall.

There is no free fall in static line parachuting, you are attatched to a line until your chute deploys (once you get to the end of it, it pulls your chute for you). From exit to deployment you have four seconds, if your canopy isn't open in four seconds, you're in trouble.

As for needing it, you won't in your MOS. It's uniform candy and you'll never do anything with it unless you decide to change MOSes later.

If you want to sky dive, you will have to take a civilian course.

I do not agree with sending soldiers to courses that do not serve a purpose for them, but if they are offering you the course, take it if it interests you. You may find later that you want to do something that will require you to be abn qual'd and it will make the transition easier.

Thanks for the info, RnderSafe. By the way, I asked about EOD. It is not currently available as an MOS, but I suspect I'd have had the same problem with security clearance there anyway. It is still a consideration for the future though.

Toyuzu said:
Thanks for the info, RnderSafe. By the way, I asked about EOD. It is not currently available as an MOS, but I suspect I'd have had the same problem with security clearance there anyway. It is still a consideration for the future though.

Yes, your credit would have disqualified you for EOD. It requires a secrent clerance intially, but 85 to 90% of the jobs actually require a TS/SCI with CNWDI.

Clean up your credit while you are in, and live right - and will certainly be an option for you later on.

Back