U.K. GENERAL ELECTION RUN-UP.What is your important issue?

WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THE U.K. ELECTION?

• National security.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Health Service.

• Education.

• Unemployment.

• Social security.

• Transport.

• The European Union.

• Local government spending.

• Crime and anti-social behaviour.

• Immigration.

• The powers of devolved government(WALES,SCOTLAND)

• Other....(post comment on what it would be for you?)

• Total voters

mentor scotus

Hello again.There has been a lot of hype over the important issues of the forthcoming election.What do BRITS AND EX-PATS THINK?
Is it National Security or Social Security? :cheers:

its the economy if people have money in thier pocket and a secure job they are more likely to vote for whose already in power

Sorry.

Didn't think of the Economy.Sorry.I suppose it is implicit in areas like employment and social security,but I ought to have put it, in the choices. You get so mersmerised by the news stories of the day in the vast array of newspapers of every type, kind and persuasion, that you start to forget things. Must be old age.
Today the headlines are still on the health service and immigration.We are very affected by the former(rubbish hospitals with lovely staff... poor things).But not affected greatly by the latter,as long as the paperwork is top notch. (In my part of the country we need people to fill vacancies in certain jobs, where we do not have the trained people.)Does that lead us neatly into the realms of Education?Possibly.

Keep posting and voting BRITS AND EX PATS.

Utinam populus Romanus unam cervicem haberet!
Would that the Roman people had only one neck!

For me it has to be National Security. And immigration goes along with this. But i think there are so many important issues on going at the moment and its hard to put one in front of others. But if we are threaten with being swampt with immigrants or attacked by terrorists then the other issues take second place.

I voted for Crime and Anti-Social behaviour, but National Security is a close second along with more vigilant immigration procedures.

As a future coppa- I naturally voted for crime... the police needs more money, I want them to take me on next year! :shock:

beardo said:
Cannibalising the Armed Forces

If you mean the current round of merges and amalgamations, i wounder what peoples views are on this. Personally i think its the best thing they could have done. I don't know if this has been discussed on here, if not i'm sure it could take a whole thread of its own.

Kenty said:
I can't believe they're getting rid of the Black Watch... :evil:

Why, whats so special about the Black Watch. Every current English Regiment is made up of varies old Regiments, many have been hit twice. While the Scottish Regiments have got away with it. Now its their turn. My own Regiment is also going, but we don't hear the same out cry as with the Scottish regiments.

It's a tradition thing... I hate it when anything British changes. :roll:

The black watch has been around for ages and I guess it'll be sad to see it go...

Every Regiment in the Army has tradition, many going back further than the Black Watch. If this has to happen, then why should English Regiments be hit again just to save the Scottish ones. The reasons they give for not touching them have already been disproved with all the other merges. They should just shut up and get on with it.

Bish said:
If this has to happen, then why should English Regiments be hit again just to save the Scottish ones.

No no no! lol- you got me wrong!

I don't think that just the Scotish regiments should be saved [I'm English!].

I was just using the Black Watch as an example ;)

Bish said:
Kenty said:
I can't believe they're getting rid of the Black Watch... :evil:

Why, whats so special about the Black Watch. Every current English Regiment is made up of varies old Regiments, many have been hit twice. While the Scottish Regiments have got away with it. Now its their turn. My own Regiment is also going, but we don't hear the same out cry as with the Scottish regiments.

It's sad when any regiment disappears but I'd like you to explain why you think the Scottish Regiments have 'got away with it'. Don't you feel any sympathy for the Black Watch, a regiment that have been doing more than their fair share of Iraq tours, knowing they are being disbanded when they come home. My Dad served in the Gordon Highlanders and now the Regiment that swallowed it up, the Highlanders, is being merged again. Hardly looks like the Scottish Regiments have gotten away with it to me.

Up until now they have gotten away with. While all English Regiments have already merged with others, some twice, many of these Scottish Regiments have never been touched. The BW have done 2 tours in Iraq, and they ain't the only ones. Both the Kings, who i am attached to, and the QLR have been to Iraq and they are both being merged with the KORBR who go to Iraq soon, should they then also be spared. And if it wasn't for the BW going to camp Dogwood would we even have heard of their tour. Every Regiment could argue a case if it wanted to, but only the Scottish ones are making a deal of it.

Bish said:
Up until now they have gotten away with. While all English Regiments have already merged with others, some twice, many of these Scottish Regiments have never been touched. The BW have done 2 tours in Iraq, and they ain't the only ones. Both the Kings, who i am attached to, and the QLR have been to Iraq and they are both being merged with the KORBR who go to Iraq soon, should they then also be spared. And if it wasn't for the BW going to camp Dogwood would we even have heard of their tour. Every Regiment could argue a case if it wanted to, but only the Scottish ones are making a deal of it.

Ah well, it's an emotive issue for any regiment facing disbandment, no matter what part of the country they come from. I think the Scottish regiments are being highlighted for political reasons, i.e. it's in the best interests of the Scottish Nationalists to make a big deal out of it.

Back