U.K. GENERAL ELECTION RUN-UP.What is your important issue? - Page 2

View Poll Results :WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THE U.K. ELECTION?
National security. 3 30.00%
The Health Service. 0 0%
Education. 1 10.00%
Unemployment. 0 0%
Social security. 0 0%
Transport. 0 0%
The European Union. 1 10.00%
Local government spending. 0 0%
Crime and anti-social behaviour. 3 30.00%
Immigration. 0 0%
The powers of devolved government(WALES,SCOTLAND) 1 10.00%
Other....(post comment on what it would be for you?) 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

April 17th, 2005  
Kenty

It's a tradition thing... I hate it when anything British changes.

The black watch has been around for ages and I guess it'll be sad to see it go...
April 18th, 2005  
Bish

Every Regiment in the Army has tradition, many going back further than the Black Watch. If this has to happen, then why should English Regiments be hit again just to save the Scottish ones. The reasons they give for not touching them have already been disproved with all the other merges. They should just shut up and get on with it.
April 22nd, 2005  
Kenty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bish
If this has to happen, then why should English Regiments be hit again just to save the Scottish ones.
No no no! lol- you got me wrong!

I don't think that just the Scotish regiments should be saved [I'm English!].

I was just using the Black Watch as an example
--
Boots
April 22nd, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenty
I can't believe they're getting rid of the Black Watch...
Why, whats so special about the Black Watch. Every current English Regiment is made up of varies old Regiments, many have been hit twice. While the Scottish Regiments have got away with it. Now its their turn. My own Regiment is also going, but we don't hear the same out cry as with the Scottish regiments.
It's sad when any regiment disappears but I'd like you to explain why you think the Scottish Regiments have 'got away with it'. Don't you feel any sympathy for the Black Watch, a regiment that have been doing more than their fair share of Iraq tours, knowing they are being disbanded when they come home. My Dad served in the Gordon Highlanders and now the Regiment that swallowed it up, the Highlanders, is being merged again. Hardly looks like the Scottish Regiments have gotten away with it to me.
April 22nd, 2005  
Bish

Up until now they have gotten away with. While all English Regiments have already merged with others, some twice, many of these Scottish Regiments have never been touched. The BW have done 2 tours in Iraq, and they ain't the only ones. Both the Kings, who i am attached to, and the QLR have been to Iraq and they are both being merged with the KORBR who go to Iraq soon, should they then also be spared. And if it wasn't for the BW going to camp Dogwood would we even have heard of their tour. Every Regiment could argue a case if it wanted to, but only the Scottish ones are making a deal of it.
April 23rd, 2005  
KC72

well said bish
April 23rd, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Up until now they have gotten away with. While all English Regiments have already merged with others, some twice, many of these Scottish Regiments have never been touched. The BW have done 2 tours in Iraq, and they ain't the only ones. Both the Kings, who i am attached to, and the QLR have been to Iraq and they are both being merged with the KORBR who go to Iraq soon, should they then also be spared. And if it wasn't for the BW going to camp Dogwood would we even have heard of their tour. Every Regiment could argue a case if it wanted to, but only the Scottish ones are making a deal of it.
Ah well, it's an emotive issue for any regiment facing disbandment, no matter what part of the country they come from. I think the Scottish regiments are being highlighted for political reasons, i.e. it's in the best interests of the Scottish Nationalists to make a big deal out of it.