U-214 AIP Submarines: most advanced in South Korea

longriver

source:http://forum.globaltimes.cn/forum/showthread.php?t=7912

The German Type 214 was selected by S. Korea over the French/Spanish Scorpene Class that has been ordered by Chile, India, and Malaysia. Some would argue that U-214s are the most advanced diesel-electric submarines on the market, with an increased diving depth of over 400 meters, an optimized hull and propeller design, ultra-modern internal systems, and an Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) system that lets the diesel submarine stay submerged for long periods without needing to surface and snorkel air.

South Korea ordered its first 3 KSS-II/ Type 214 boats in 2000, which were assembled by Hyundai Heavy Industries. The Batch 2 order will add 6 more of the 65m, 1,700t boats, effectively doubling the ROKN’s number of modern submarines. The latest development is a large combat system order, whose recipient should not be a surprise…

DAPA has selected Daewoo Shipbuilding & Marine Engineering to build the first boat from Batch 2, and expects to send out another set of tenders for the 5th U-214 boat

Yeah the North Koreans like using submarines to cause various kinds of mischief so what better way to solve this problem than to have a few submarines parked at the bottom of the sea?

It makes a good deal

The U-214 AIP Subs would pack a special punch to the ROKK Navy. I could see it being modified and equipped with UGM-84 which would give it extended capabilities while keeping it outta range of the enemies weapon system.......-cough-watch out china.:rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo::rambo:

Best coastal waters (rather defensive is my assessment) sub around currently, the one that *really* could sink a carrier, just lying in wait.

Rattler

Best coastal waters (rather defensive is my assessment) sub around currently, the one that *really* could sink a carrier, just lying in wait.
Rattler
Provided the carrier 'comes' to the SSK/AIP -SSI. The AIP gives the SSI endurance not, increased mobility!! Now, it is a real threat to the amphibious fleet not, chasing a "CV" around the ocean. SSIs are most effective at choke points and controlling who goes through.

Back