Type 98 Main Battle Tank (Copy of Xion's Thread)

AsianAmerican

How about the Type 98 MBT. PLA's newest bad boy. The Type 98 is the first known Tank to carry the "Dazzler" Laser System. (The latter two MBTs also are fitted with a JD-3 integrated laser rangefinder/warning/self-defense device – also called a "dazzler" – which uses a high-powered laser to directly attack the enemy weapon's optics and gunner.)

AFPC said China is believed to be the first country to use such active laser defense devices on its tanks.

SPECIFICATIONS

Crew: 3
Weight: 50 tons
Engine: 1,200 hp liquid cooled diesel
Transmission: Mechanical, planetary
Track: Metallic with RMSh, with rubber-tyred road wheels
Suspension: Torsion bar
Radio: Receive/transmit, telephone, laser communications
Dimension: Length: 11.00 m; Height: 2.00 m; Width: 3.40 m
Ground Pressure: N/A
Cruising Range: 450 km, or 600 km with external tanks
Speed: Max road 65 km/h; max off-road 47 km/h; average cross-country 35 km/h; max swim N/A
Fording Depths: 5 m with snorkel
Main Gun: Indigenous 125 mm smoothbore
Rate of Fire: 8 rounds/min
Elevation/Depression: N/A
Auxiliary Weapon: One coaxial 7.62 mm machine gun; one 12.7 mm air-defence machine gun
Fire Control: Laser rangefinder input, onboard computer, wind sensor, and control panel

Links...... http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=32501
or
http://www.sinodefence.com/army/tank/type98.asp

type98_4.jpg

I hope there's a way to counter the laser weapon. Not only is it an illegal weapon, it's highly effective and will give this Tank which seems in many ways a T-72 given an extreme makeover.
I just don't see any real improvements over the T-72 except the angled turret. The chasis is exactly the same.
Also the 125mm gun's performance needs to be determined. If it's more or less like the T-72's then it's just a T-72 with a pretty face.
It's the laser that's the problem.

the_13th_redneck said:
I hope there's a way to counter the laser weapon. Not only is it an illegal weapon, it's highly effective and will give this Tank which seems in many ways a T-72 given an extreme makeover.
I just don't see any real improvements over the T-72 except the angled turret. The chasis is exactly the same.
Also the 125mm gun's performance needs to be determined. If it's more or less like the T-72's then it's just a T-72 with a pretty face.
It's the laser that's the problem.

yeah but if it gonna be laser on it , then it will be only on few of them.

And yes it just like T-72

Im trying to find the site but I have read a source that the dazzler system is being made in mass productions since China believes lasers will be very valuable to them.. Still trying to find the source, but yeah that laser on the tank as well as the new Chinese laser gun could be a very good tool for the PLA since the laser gun has a range of up to 3km.

just don't see any real improvements over the T-72 except the angled turret. The chasis is exactly the

Yes, but we dont know what the armour is made of and what the Fire-Control system is worth...Might be much better than a T72...

"The Type 98 reportedly weighs 50 tons and is powered by a new 1200-hp diesel engine. As far as armor protection is concerned, some initial observations can be made. Generally speaking, the Type 98's turret is larger than the turrets of other PLA tanks. More importantly, the turret has been lengthened or extended forward, creating a noticeable gap between the lower edge of the turret-front and the hull decking. This new gap is most visible just to the right and left of the driver's position (see photo on top of next page). It is very likely that the Chinese decided to increase/improve the turret frontal armor protecting the Type 98 to the point where extending the turret forward became a requirement"

More On The Dazzler

" According to its promotional information, one of the ZM-87's major uses is to "injure or dizzy targeted individuals." The ZM-87 can reportedly injure the human eye at 2-3 kms, this rising to over 5 kms using a 7-power magnification device. Additionally, short-term "flaring blind-ness" can be inflicted on the human eye at up to 10 kms. The ZM-87 and the laser weapon carried by the Type 98 should not be confused with electro-optical "dazzlers" like those turret-mounted de-vices used by the Iraqis during Operation Desert Storm. Those Iraqi devices (some of which are believed to have been supplied by the Chinese), are designed to confuse the tracking systems of Western/NATO anti-tank guided missiles (ATGMs), without directly attacking the controlling optics or the eyesight of the weapon's gunner. The available photos of the Type 96 have also confirmed that the laser weapon can be elevated to a higher angle than the tank's main gun, indicating that the engagement of attack helicopters
is possible"

LINK---- http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/china_Tanks.htm

Type98-1_light.jpg

Hmmm... I would think that they have a better fire control system, after all it's not like China lacks in good technicians and they got lots of very competent computer experts.
If anything, given a smarter software package.
About the dazzle laser, can just slap those on our tanks if it comes to it. Or if it continues to be an issue, just fight by infra red sensors. Oh there's an idea ;)

I dont think America has anything that can protect their eyes because the beam is to strong.... GOD it would just suck to get hit buy one... OUCH :twisted:

Great.
Well this is what I know will work... I mean just has to. Smoke screen. And then go on IR sensors. Laser is notorious for not being able to get through clouds and a smoke cloud might also do the trick.
The worst case scenario would be a surprise ambush by T-98s where they go after the tanks with those laser beams.

We should try it i'll go into a T98 and u go into another tank and see if the smoke screen works.... If it doesn't i hope you have good medical insurance. :p..... J/K

acctually thats a good point. and no one fights better in the dark than the US anyways....Put down a smoke screen and than fight...

"The Chinese opted to equip their new Type 98 with a different countermeasure suite, based mainly on defeating ATGM, by the use of directed high power laser. A typical is the JD-3 "Dazzler" system comprises of laser warning devices, a dome shaped sensor installed on the turret's roof-top, and a box shaped Laser Self Defense Weapon (LSDW) which "fires" a laser beam at the illuminating source, either a tank gunner, helicopter or missile launcher. The system employs two modes of operation – the low power mode is used at the general direction of the threat, in a search pattern designed to locate the target's optics. Once locked on a target, the laser switches to high power mode, to defeat the target by blinding the operator or saturating its electro-optical circuits.
"

Isnt it possible to by optics reflect the laser light, ie filtering all light in that wave length? It is possible to filter specific wave lengths so why wouldnt it work in this case? unless it shoots laser in many different wave lengths

Hmm I was thinking about that.
Or something that will let light pass, but reflect something with high energy like laser. Then again I'm no scientist.

A filter would work, if it was very very tough. It would also need to withstand the heat. I read about this on sinodefence and sounds very interesting, smoke clouds would limit the effectiveness of the laser, but visibility would be reduced, both ways... wouldn't it? It would also mark off your location.

I think if he's trying to lock the laser onto your sights, he's seen you already and you're better concealed behind a smoke cloud.
I wonder how good the IR sensors are at looking through the smoke screen though!
I guess an angled screen could work... based on tech of the "one way mirror." Set at a very shallow angle so that the laser will just deflect off it. The challenge is to make that work and still have the gunner be able to see the target.
Either way this is a pretty evil thing to do and I'm sure there's something in the Geneva convention or whatnot about using the blinding laser weapons. They party poop about everything. Their laser tools might have to work very well in event of war or the enemies might return the favor by breaking the "do not slaughter enemy civilians" part of the Geneva convention.

This may sound naive but wouldn't a sniper armed with an appropriate high calibre rifle (12.7,14.5,20mm) knock that box out?
I mean it doesn't look pretty solid too.

Back