March 17th, 2006  
5.56X45mm

Rip...
March 17th, 2006  
sunb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmarsh
RIP...

I dont wish to sound disrespectful as this is indeed a sad day. My parents had a summer place in Vermont, anyone whose ever lived in New England knows winter is pretty serious up North. I used to see ice fisherman drive 4x4 on the the lakes during January and Febuary and every once and a while a car would break through. Global Warming made this occurence more frequent in later years...

Anyway, the point being, is driving a 62T tank on a frozen lake that smart an idea? Espically when you consider that this is late march and things are being to thaw?

Again, no disrespect intended...
The bog/lake was not on the map issued to the unit. When the army contacted the local sports club (after the accident) they received maps where this bog/lake is marked as dangerous area. So it is fair to say that if the tank crews had maps of a smaller scale they would have known where they were driving.

As the picture shows it is not much of the MBT that is above water, picture released by Nor Army.

http://www.hsty.no/CR06/bilder/ulykk...es/ppage11.htm
March 17th, 2006  
Redleg

The bog/marsh was also very small, so the locals was actually a bit surprised that a Leopard 2 could "fit" in there...

Both the Army and the Police are investigating this accident now, so we'll hopefully find out why and how this tragedy could happen soon.
--
March 17th, 2006  
tomtom22

RIP
March 18th, 2006  
Rock'n Roll

RIP
March 18th, 2006  
mmarsh

sunb! and Redleg

That makes sense, thanks for the explaination.