The two jouranlists jailed in NK

A Can of Man

Je suis aware
Actually it's 12 years hard labor.
But really you have got to be an idiot to walk into North Korea like that.
Odds are they won't stay the whole 12, but I think they should. Stop f*cking around in dangerous areas.
Kind of like those South Korean missionaries in Afghanistan. Should have let them die.

So how did they get arrested? were they stupid and write something, or is it just because they are journalists?

It's been all over the news actually.

On another note... I thought three people were arrested. The third person in question was their guide. The guide seems to get no mention but it's very doubtful that he/she was released. Oh yeah, f*ck the guide isn't it? I remember something like this a few years back... the sort of regard these idiots have for their guides is just disgraceful. As for why the guide went ahead... they play a dangerous game too but their folks depend on it for the income.
Most times it's White folks who usually have full immunity from arrests who have no regard for the safety of their guides but these two characters forgot that they're not White and therefore very much arrestable by North Korea's view of things.

I don't know why someone would start a thread with out knowing something about it. Here as a link for the basics, Who, what, why, where, when.

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1888004,00.html?iid=sphere-inline-sidebar

Who: Laura Ling and Euna Lee

What: Reporters for San Francisco based Current TV.

Why: Its North Korea and they are not telling.

Where: Tumen River that marks the border between China and the brutal regime of Kim Jong Il.

When: Week ending March 21st, 2009

As for the guide and another reporter they were not caught.

Funny, initial reports here said three people were caught. Maybe it was wrong but yeah, they did say three.
No, I didn't have a website address because I saw it on the TV. It was funny that they didn't mention the guide but I guess now that you've made it clear, the guide being captured wasn't true after all.
Chupike, I know more about that area than you know. It's a terrible place to go and whether or not you are on the Chinese side of the border or the North Korean side, it's not a place for f*cking around. And yes, guides to get caught as well. You're not going to believe the sort of stuff that happens over there.

There were some conflicting reports, some claiming they were on the Chinese side when they were nabbed, some saying they actually crossed over into North Korea. Either way, some parts of that river is pretty shallow and narrow. Anyone who knows even the most basic swimming could physically make it to the other side no sweat.

Actually I could say more but I'm keeping my mouth shut because it's pretty sensitive.

Last edited:
Funny, initial reports here said three people were caught. Maybe it was wrong but yeah, they did say three.
No, I didn't have a website address because I saw it on the TV. It was funny that they didn't mention the guide but I guess now that you've made it clear, the guide being captured wasn't true after all.
Chupike, I know more about that area than you know. It's a terrible place to go and whether or not you are on the Chinese side of the border or the North Korean side, it's not a place for f*cking around. And yes, guides to get caught as well. You're not going to believe the sort of stuff that happens over there.

There were some conflicting reports, some claiming they were on the Chinese side when they were nabbed, some saying they actually crossed over into North Korea. Either way, some parts of that river is pretty shallow and narrow. Anyone who knows even the most basic swimming could physically make it to the other side no sweat.

Actually I could say more but I'm keeping my mouth shut because it's pretty sensitive.

From link I supplied it is apparent you don't need to be able to swim to cross the river.
Also by a simple Internet search, Reporters North Korea, you will get 11 or 12 pages of sites to get information from.
It is usually polite to supply sources when asked.
If it is so sensitive why did you start it in the first place?

Reporters think the the freedom of the press they enjoy in the US is how it should be everywhere. In realty their are very few countries that give reporters the freedoms they have in the US. Unfortunately these reporters found that out the hard way.

A lot of it is sensitive but the fact that the two are being held are not.
If we couldn't talk about anything that has any OPSEC in it, we might as well not have any military forums.
Actually did write "you can wade through some of it" but I haven't exactly made the journey across the river myself nor do I know anyone who waded across personally, so I deleted it. You can see, I edited my post.
Also Chupike, everyone's in a difficult position about these reporters because if it is indeed the case that they crossed over into North Korea, North Korea has a legitimate reason for imprisoning them, at the very least, illegal immigration.
Imagine some Iranian journalists crossed over illegally across the US-Mexico border to create anti-US propaganda. I don't think that would fly very well either.
I can totally see you spinning this post out of context.
The popcorn is ready.

They're American citizens and journalists, the two most protected people in the world.:rolleyes: I think these two just got an introduction to the real world.

Yep.
But over there usually other citizenships also recieve a lot of protection: Australian, New Zealander, British, most EU countries... but there's a second element to the protection: you have to be White. If you are from those countries but are Asian, odds are some pretty bad things can happen to you. Not as much as if you were a South Korean with South Korean citizenship. Then your ass gets sent into the slammer for a long ass time. Hard labor + torture would be your reality.
Mostly because of the way it's percieved. Two Asian people get jailed in North Korea, not such a big deal. Two blonde reporters get jailed in North Korea, and the outrage would be ten fold.
Reminds me of something an Australian Journo asked me about... let's just say that guy had no idea how well protected he was opposed to his peers in country.

Back