Two cautioned over wireless Internet "piggy-backing" - Page 3

--

April 25th, 2007  
philam15

err, is 2Wire a router? I don't know much about computers...
April 25th, 2007  
Donkey

Yeah 2wire is a router, usually the one you get from your telecom company (ISP) and has the DSL modem built in....

PM me and I should be able to assist you in securing your network....

or you can try for yourself with the use of the 2wire site http://www.2wire.com/
August 16th, 2008  
AikiRooster

I like DTop's answer. No harm as long they aren't doing any freaky on there that can be traced to the net service provider and doesn't catch the piggy backer.
--
August 17th, 2008  
Insomniac

heh, i find it all alright, as long as it's unsecured. If it's out there, it's fair game. Like leaving a picnic basket full of food and open in the middle of a playing field un-attended. It'll probably be missing a few bits when you get back, but you should have secured it if you didn't want that to happen.
August 18th, 2008  
MontyB

Piggy backing will become more of a problem as ISP's move away from unlimited bandwidth accounts to capped accounts, this was something that I didn't believe would ever happen given the development of technology but I see it is becoming more common.
August 18th, 2008  
DTop

If that happens, then the whole scenario would indeed change. A piggy-backer (I hate that phrase) would be denying part of the limited internet access to the paying customer, IMO. Considering how easy it is to at least require a password to access your router, I don't know why anyone wouldn't.
August 19th, 2008  
major liability

If it gets that bad, and the internet becomes a totally commercialized space run solely by corporations... there will be no reason to pay for it, or use it for that matter.