Turkish Military.

He's right phoenix, look at the link, over two decades the United States sold almost $200 million worth of equipment to Iraq or .5% of their total import of arms from that time period. Clearly we are responsible in whole for anything Saddam was ever done, not say the Soviet Union which supplied Iraq with 69% of their weapons systems over that time period, or France at 13% or China at 12%, just us.[/sarcasm]

Egypt sold more weapons to Saddam and most of that would be second-hand Soviet equipment.

Last edited:
He's right phoenix, look at the link, over two decades the United States sold almost $200 million worth of equipment to Iraq or .5% of their total import of arms from that time period. Clearly we are responsible in whole for anything Saddam was ever done, not say the Soviet Union which supplied Iraq with 69% of their weapons systems over that time period, or France at 13% or China at 12%, just us.[/sarcasm]

Egypt sold more weapons to Saddam and most of that would be second-hand Soviet equipment.

I still can't buy that my friend. There was not a single AMERICAN equipment in their army when Iraq liberated in 2003.

I am still waiting to hear about examples of American military equipment in the Iraqi army

It's BS

Name one American warplane in their inventory, for instance.

Soviets didn't have to go to Americans to be able to sell their stuff to Iraqis. They sold them directly.

Phoenix, if you read my post carefully you will see that i did not refer to the USA selling to Iraq, equipment made in the USA. I said that the USA arranged for non-american origin weapons, in this case soviet weapons, to be sold to Iraq.

I don't see why you're still harking on about US equipment in Iraqi hands in 2003 :confused:

I also did not say that the Soviets did not have to go to the Americans to sell their stuff to the Iraqis. I said that the soviets did not supply ALL the soviet weaponary to Iraq. They did sell most of it but that is not all of it.

My claim that the US provided iraq with weapons of non US origin in the 80's or my claim that the soviets did not supply all the soviet origin weaponary to iraq but supplied the majority?

The link i posted earlier, cos its wikipedia has a list of references for that article. You should find the answers and evidence there.

"Iraq successfully gained some military and financial aid, as well as diplomatic and moral support, from the Soviet Union, China, France, and the United States, which together feared the prospects of the expansion of revolutionary Iran's influence in the region."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saddam_Hussein#The_Iran-Iraq_War_.281980.E2.80.931988.29

"Iraq's army was primarily armed with weaponry it had purchased from the Soviet Union and its satellites in the preceding decade. During the war, it purchased billions of dollars worth of advanced equipment from the Soviet Union, France,[27] as well as from the People's Republic of China, Egypt, Germany, and other sources (including Europe and facilities for making and/or enhancing chemical weapons). Germany[28] along with other Western countries (among them United Kingdom, France, Spain (Explosivos Alaveses), Canada, Italy and the United States) provided Iraq with biological and chemical weapons technology and the precursors to nuclear capabilities"

"The U.S. sold Iraq $200 million in helicopters, which were used by the Iraqi military in the war. These were the only direct U.S.-Iraqi military sales and were valued to be about 0.6% of Iraq's conventional weapons imports during the war"

"The United States, United Kingdom, and Germany also provided "dual use" technology (computers, engines, etc.) that allowed Iraq to expand its missile program and radar defenses. The U.S. Commerce Department, in violation of procedure, gave out licenses to companies for $1.5 billion in dual-use items to be sent to Iraq. The State Department was not informed of this. Over 1 billion of these authorized items were trucks that were never delivered. The rest consisted of advanced technology. Iraq's Soviet-made Scuds had their ranges expanded as a result.[32]"

"According to Iraq's report to the UN, the know-how and material for developing chemical weapons were obtained from firms in such countries as: the United States, West Germany, the United Kingdom, France and the People's Republic of China."

"On 25 May 1994, The U.S. Senate Banking Committee released a report in which it was stated that pathogenic (meaning disease producing), toxigenic (meaning poisonous) and other biological research materials were exported to Iraq, pursuant to application and licensing by the U.S. Department of Commerce. It added: "These exported biological materials were not attenuated or weakened and were capable of reproduction."[41] The report then detailed 70 shipments (including Anthrax Bacillus) from the United States to Iraqi government agencies over three years, concluding that "these microorganisms exported by the United States were identical to those the UN inspectors found and recovered from the Iraqi biological warfare program."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Iraq_War#Armament_and_support

There's one thing I respect the Turks for, and its their strong military culture.

Their culture respects their soldiers and they love the military.

There's one thing I respect the Turks for, and its their strong military culture.

Their culture respects their soldiers and they love the military.

They were certainly an honourable enemy during WWI. We Australians (along with many others) invaded their country, they beat us off but remained magnanimous in victory.

Then again, it was only to be expected from people led by such a great statesman as Mustapha Kemal. (Attaturk).

Well said Senojekips.​

Here's what our (former) enemy said of our war dead and those left to grieve for them. Magnamimous indeed:​

Those heroes that shed their blood

And lost their lives...

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly Country.

Therefore rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies

And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side

Here in this country of ours...

You, the mothers,

Who sent their sons from far away countries

Wipe away your tears,

Your sons are now lying in our bosom

And are in peace

After having lost their lives on this land

They have become our sons as well

- Atatürk

Yeah Padre, any chance you could put a good word in with The Boss to get Ataturk back as an Aussie Statesman?

I use the word Statesman (with a capital letter) deliberately as I feel there is little similarity between Statesmen and "politicians".

Turkish Brigade in Korean War

Some comments by American officers give insight into the Turks and their abilities. "They really prefer to be on the offensive and handle it quite well," went one appraisal. "They are not as good at defensive positions, and certainly never retreat." Another report told of their patrol skills: "Certain Turkish patrols always reported high body counts when they returned from patrols. Headquarters always scoffed at the high numbers, much higher in fact than any other unit, until the Turks decided to bring the enemy bodies back and dump them at headquarters for the body count."

http://www.rt66.com/~korteng/SmallArms/TurkishBrigade.htm

Turkish people are given a warm welcome in Korea because of the bravery the Turkish soldiers showed during the Korean War. They were Turkey's finest ambassadors.

Yeah, the Turks were some great fighters. I have mad respect for them as a nation and culture.

I wish my country, South Korea, have as much repect for our men as the Turks. Its too bad most young people here moan about their military duty and military culture in our society.

Well said Senojekips.​

Here's what our (former) enemy said of our war dead and those left to grieve for them. Magnamimous indeed:​

Those heroes that shed their blood
And lost their lives...
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly Country.
Therefore rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies
And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side
Here in this country of ours...
You, the mothers,
Who sent their sons from far away countries
Wipe away your tears,
Your sons are now lying in our bosom
And are in peace
After having lost their lives on this land
They have become our sons as well

- Atatürk

Great post bro...

Turkish Patrol and Anti-Submarine Warfare Ship - Milgem (indigenous design)

milgem_maket_orko_8_idef_2005.JPG

MİLGEM.jpg

http://www.ssm.gov.tr/EN/Projeler/denizaraclari/prjgrpgemi/Pages/milgem__D.aspx

Turkey is shaping up to be a powerful country and a good ally to have on our side. I like their taste in equipment as well, they're not afraid to mix it up with American and Russian implements.

Project Genesis

Project Genesis (ship management integration system):
A naval battle management system modernization project for the FFG-7 Perry class frigates, which entails a battle coordination system (GSYS). Development of hardware, software, ECDIS map screen, network centric warfare software, automated target tracking system, electronic warfare systems database.

The aim of the Genesis project is to blow new life in the ageing fleet of 8 Perry frigates.
Genesis will equip the frigates with up to date modern warfare command and control features, communications and C4I capabilities.

September 2006: Factory Level Acceptance Tests completed, all of the hardware related to the Ship Integrated Combat Management System GENESIS has been installed on the first of eight Gabya Class (ex-US Perry Class FFG)
Engineers are currently working to integrate the indigenous Combat Management
System with all the sensors and weapon systems aboard the frigate, including the Mk-13 launcher, SQS-56 sonar, Phalanx CIWS, AN/SPS-65 surface search radar, AN/SPS-49 air search/surveillance radar, Mk-92 fire control system, Mk-32 torpedo system, Mk-75 76mm gun, Mk-XII IFF and SLQ-32 ESM systems.

GENESIS project for upgrading 8 frigates costs US$97.5 Million ($12.2 Million/ship)

Genesis project will also take place on the Milgem(National ship) project.

The Perry class frigates currently have the outdated analogue command on control bridge

genesis1.jpg

After the Genesis upgrade the control bridge will look like this, modern, digitalized and full automated tracking and targeting systems
genesis2.jpg

Last edited:
Back