Turkish Military Leader Prepared To Lead Attacks In Iraq

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
New York Times
April 13, 2007
By Sabrina Tavernise
ISTANBUL, April 12 — The head of Turkey’s armed forces said publicly on Thursday, in the military’s sharpest language to date, that he was prepared to conduct operations in northern Iraq to crush Kurdish rebels hiding there.
It is a frightening situation for the United States, which is struggling to keep the war in Iraq from spreading beyond that country’s borders. And while the threat is not immediate — it would require approval from the country’s diverse Parliament — the issue has grown more urgent here in recent weeks, spurred by highly publicized funerals of soldiers killed in battles with rebels and by calls for action from politicians of all stripes.
“Should there be an operation into northern Iraq?” said Gen. Yasar Buyukanit, Turkey’s chief of staff, speaking at a hastily convened news conference in Ankara, his first since taking the position eight months ago. “If I look at it from an exclusively military point of view, yes, there should be. Would it be profitable? Yes, it would.” Still, he added that, “For a cross-border operation, there has to be a political decision.”
The remarks, the most strident in a series of recent expressions of rising frustration by Turkey, ratcheted up pressure on Iraq over the presence of Kurdish rebels based in the autonomous region south of the mountainous and porous border between Iraq and Turkey.
The issue is highly sensitive. While Shiite and Sunni Arab politicians in Iraq appear to be increasingly resistant to American influence, the Kurds remain the United States’ strongest allies in an increasingly bloody war.
But the United States is also an ally of Turkey, and the government here is growing increasingly frustrated that it is not able to use its leverage in a country occupied by its fellow NATO member.
General Buyukanit criticized Massoud Barzani, the Kurdish leader of northern Iraq and a major American ally who dismissed Turkish concerns about looming Kurdish autonomy in a recent interview with an Arabic television station, but said he held the United States responsible. When entering northern Iraq today, “You are met by Kurdish flags, not Iraqi ones,” he said.
In a briefing in Washington, Sean McCormack, State Department spokesman, said that Turkey “faces a real threat,” from the Kurdish rebels, whose organization, known by its acronym, the P.K.K., has been declared a terrorist organization by the United States. But military intervention, he said, was not the answer.
Turkey’s growing nervousness over Kurdish influence on its doorstep has developed into recent shifts in policy. The state minister for trade, Kursad Tuzmen, was quoted by the Anatolian News Agency in recent days as saying that the government planned to open a border crossing with Syria at Akcakale over the next two months to keep the flow of Turkish goods moving south in case the single border crossing with Iraq was shut down. The government also has plans to open three additional border crossings with Syria, he said.
The parliamentary chairman, Bulent Arinc, who spoke at a news conference before General Buyukanit, said that the Americans had abandoned the Kurds in the past, a piece of history that could repeat itself. “Even under Saddam, every time the Kurds revolted, trusting the United States, they always perished, lost and felt wretched. I advise them to be cautious also today.”
“The U.S. leaves this region,” he added, “but we have been here for thousands of years.”
Sebnem Arsu contributed reporting from Istanbul.

If the US attacks a NATO Member in defense of Iraqis I view the consequences of such an action as catastrophic, and perhaps an end to the NATO Alliance.... which will adversely affect the Afghan Operation.
How NATO Member States in Europe will view any such action is hard to gage, on the one hand the United States will be attacking a NATO Member State while at the same time protecting a Terrorist organization, on the other hand the United States is used to getting its way in the area, and Turkey is the only Muslim State to hold full NATO Membership.

The US is now deep in the minefield trying to navigate a course to safety.

In a worse case scenario I'd say the safest way out would be to give Northern Iraq to Turkey before War breaks out between the US and Turkey.... because in my opinion Turkey has already proven to be the better Ally all the way around.

If Northern Iraq is the place that PKK terrorist train themselves and try to enter Turkey from there then Turkey has the right to stop them.
So there needs to be an operation.

So noone can stop Turkey on this event but Turkey gives importance to relations with US. So If there is an operation in the future, Turkey will absolutely share it with US and maybe there will be a co-operation against PKK.

But about the situation of Kirkuk, I hope there won't be bad news. Because I don't believe that US will choose Kurds to 70 Million Turks. We have been allies since Korean War. We fought together there. We were together in Bosnia.We supported US forces in the 1st Gulf War. We are still together in Afghanistan against evildoers. So I believe that US knows what to do ...

But about the situation of Kirkuk, I hope there won't be bad news. Because I don't believe that US will choose Kurds to 70 Million Turks. We have been allies since Korean War. We fought together there. We were together in Bosnia.We supported US forces in the 1st Gulf War. We are still together in Afghanistan against evildoers. So I believe that US knows what to do ...

You got that right, Turkey has been there for the USA and been a good Ally, unlike, in my opinion, Iraq.

If Northern Iraq is the place that PKK terrorist train themselves and try to enter Turkey from there then Turkey has the right to stop them.
So there needs to be an operation.

And yes, Turkey has every right to self defense just as the United States of America does, so if the US can say any Terrorist, in any Nation, and any Nation offering safe haven for Terrorists then so can Turkey.

I think that if the Kurds want to practice terrorism, the U.S. can step back and let them face the consequences of their actions alone.

Back