Turkish Military hardware.

xman

gladius said:
welcome aboard!

Since you made the offer i'll throw out the first questions.

What assualt rifle does the Turkish Army use?

Also what main battle tank and apc?

I'm just curious.

First,thank you very much for everbody to kindly welcome me here.

@gladius,

Your guestions are little hard.Because Our army has mixed platforms.
But also I will try to reply for your post.

1- We have three type of assualt rifles G3,HK-33 and Kalesnikov.

2- Our army also uses three type of tank,M-48(upgraded to cannon 105mm about number of 3000),Leopard 1(about the number of 300 ) and M-60s that are about number of 960.
So, unfortunately, now we have no a tank that has cannon of 120mm.

But We have 960 of M60 and 170 of them will be upgraded with cooperation of Israel is called project of SABRA III modernizetion that has cannon of 120mm.

Currently, Israel continue to work on this project to produce a prototype.
I think We will upgrade the rest of M60s anyway then.Below photo is the tank of SABRA that is upgraded of M60.

sabra2b.jpg

3-Our army is better on APC.We have a lot of upgraded M113 and
new APCs that are produced locally, just below photos.

ARMORED INFANTRY FIGHTING VEHICLE (AIFV)

zma_giat5.jpg

01-04.jpg

Alright, let me ask you a somewhat off-toppic, yet relevant question. What do people in turky think about this cooperation with Israel?

Most of people in turkey do not have trouble on cooperation with israel.
Because, We are not arabian but sometimes We have trouble with israel due to attacking mercilessly to plestinians who are muslim.

But currently, We most of Turks thinks that this matter is almost for arabian.

Our goal is to get technologies of military from Israel and establish cooperations on all field.There are advantages for both countries.

I agree that there is a great deal to earn, for both sides. I hope that Turkey can help midiate between the sides in the Palestinian-Israeli comnflict. I am also a great supporter of selling armes to Turkey. This is because Turkey, in my eyes, is the only true democracy with a muslim majority. Also, Israel and Turkey share a common threat, Syria. Back on toppic, what about the turkish air force? What is the main fighter in service? How about attack helicopters?

Of course, We have some plans on army to improve its power.

We have huge of F-16 in NATO and plan on upgrading BLOCK-40,getting 50 new attack helocopters and also We need new tanks about the number of 1000.

We will try to replay your question more detail tomorrrow.

See you later.

xman said:
First,thank you very much for everbody to kindly welcome me here.

@gladius,

Your guestions are little hard.Because Our army has mixed platforms.
But also I will try to reply for your post.

1- We have three type of assualt rifles G3,HK-33 and Kalesnikov.

So which type of units use what or are they all mixed together?

If not, do the more elite units get the G3 or the HK, and the lesser ones get the Kalishnikov?

Those Modified APCs looked pretty good, by the way.

SHERMAN said:
what about the turkish air force? What is the main fighter in service? How about attack helicopters?

1-Turkish Air Forces

Our air forces have total of 220 F-16:
Blok-50 number 76
Blok-40 number 106
Blok-30 number 38

Blok-40s will be upgraded over CCIP mod.

Turkish air forces have also various of F4E:

F-4E 2020/Terminator number 50 (these are dedicated to ground attacking especially with popeye-1 and popeye-2 missiles)
F-4E about number 100 (48 of them will be upragraded for multi role mod. additional BVR)
We have a plan to acquire surplus of F4E Kurnas which are upgraded F4Es from Israel.May be the number of 24 or 48.

Turkish airforces will have AEW&Cs(4 + 2 option) which are currently produsing by Boeing.

On the other hand,Turkey is in the F-35 project.Future, F-16s are replaced by F-35, about number is 150 or 200.

2-Attack Helicopter

We had a plan to acquire King Kobra which were the number of 145 by produsing locally.But the cost of one King Kobra was over 50 million dollar.It was not logical and our authority canceled this project and made a decision to acquire by direct from companies.
The number of attacking helicopter is revised as 90.Now, the possible proposals are waiting from helicopter companies and now I am hearing plausible prices for first batch of 50 helo.But even produsing of mission computer and software by locally are important.I think that this project will be concluded until end of the 2005.

Our Land Forces are also currently using AH1W of 9 and about AH1P of 30.

3-New tank project.

Recently Our authority also canceled to acquire tank of 250(total 1000) produsing by locally under license.Cost of one tank was about 14 million dollar.It was also stupid price.

So We made a decision for indigenous production of Turkish tank.Because the platform of tank is very vital weapon in any battle and our goal is to be independent of tank technologies.We are afraid of any embargo.

From the beginning I've been an avid supportor of Turkey's modernization of tanks and due to the Koreans sharing technology from the XK-2 the indigeneous production of tanks in Turkey is seeming to be an ever closer reality.

On the other hand Our army is looking for surplus thanks of ABD and,or Germant and I am hearing well offers from that countries for Leoapard IIA and M1A1.Amount may be 250 or about 500.

I hope that you would be informed from some ideas on Turkish Army.

Back