Turkish military coup attempt

Remington 1858

Some important career decisions were made in the Turkish Armed Forces this week. Are you in ( on the coup) or are you out? A wrong answer could have unfortunate results.

I give them points for some aspects of the planning. Make the coup attempt on Friday night and have the whole weekend to consolidate. Do it when the President is out of town. Take over the television station and the airport, Not bad!

They forgot about social media which has become a powerful force.
They needed some way to totally black - out all communications and that's not as easy as it used to be. You can't have the President rallying his forces on an IPhone when your busy locking down the bridges.

Possibly another factor is that the Turkish Armed Forces is mostly conscripts so it's hard to say how committed the troops were.
Anyway, they will do better next time and there will be a next time.

The success of this coup depends on who is behind the coup.

I find it rather interesting that a coup breaks out on a weekend where several European consulates and Embassies are closed due to "security" concerns and barely a couple of weeks after a major terrorist attack.

It is also well known that one of the few things preventing Erdogan from assuming almost dictatorial power in the country is the jusiciary and military and who is in the process of being purged?

Yes, this coup looks like something put together on Thursday night over a few beers. They really must do better!
Their fathers and grandfathers were much better in the past at coups, having taken over the government, I believe, a total of six times successfully.
And to top it off, this was against a Prime Minister who is wildly unpopular.
You really can't get any decent help these days.

I would suggest that had the Turkish armed forces wanted to take over they would have, they are a well armed, well trained force.

The only question that needs to be answered is whether this is a power play by a small faction within the military as is being sold at the moment or a move by Erdogan to consolodate power at the expense of those who can stop him as quite a few suspect.

Lets be honest here, if you wanted to over throw a government and get rid of the existing leader to the point that you were prepared to open fire on your own people wouldnt the first place you would go is to the holiday resort the president was staying and not let him get on a plane and fly back to his power base through skies monitored by supposedly rebel fight jets?

Last edited:
Back