Turkey unveils new infantry rifle

Lunatik

mehmetcik1.jpg

It's called Mehmetcik-1. Based on advanced HK designs, jam free and very durable, can be modified with all kinds of electronics and grenade launcher. And its per unit price is much cheaper than other rifles in the same league. Suitable for both regular infantry and SF use. Serial production starts in 2009. Likely will be available for NATO and allied countries.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjW52acGbfg

At a glance looks like a modification of the M4 model. They redesigned the front sight post, but still didnt truly float the barrel. Those buttstocks look oversized and bulkey, but may provided a better weld.

I love the 145 on the one on the right... everything else on the table is brand new and shiny, but that looks rather used.

Looks nice but its from Turkey... ;)
well reminds me of H&K so it can't be that bad... wld like to shot em

they look very similar to the HK 5.56 CAR-15 versions. frankly id liek to see someone gettign a new rifle already, its all getting rather boring (m16. m16 and more m16)

Actually, it's based on HK416 and yes, it is practically jam free. :cool:

They dip it in water, burry it in sand/mud, yet it just keeps on firing like fresh out of the box.

Check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZpZryZEiY4

Source: http://www.hkpro.com/update.htm

Mehmetçik 1 is an assault rifle designed and manufactured by MKE (Makina ve Kimya Endustrisi Kurumu) to be an improved version of the Heckler & Koch HK416 rifle. It is speculated that 'Mehmetçik' symbolises Turkish Soldiers. So far the weapon has reportedly been tested by the Turkish Minister of Defence. It is currently only available to government, law enforcement and military organizations.

Mehmetçik 1 uses a proprietary gas system derived from the HK G36, replacing the direct impingement gas system used by the AR-15 family of weapons. The HK system uses a short-stroke piston driving an operating rod to force the bolt carrier to retract. This design prevents propellant gases from entering the weapon’s interior, a traditional short-coming with direct gas impingement systems. The reduction in heat and fouling of the bolt carrier group increases the reliability of the weapon and extends the interval between stoppages. It also reduces operator cleaning time, and stress on critical components.

Mehmetçik 1 is equipped with a proprietary accessory rail forearm with MIL-STD-1913 rails on all four sides of the front hand guard. This allows for accessories such as, sights, lights, grenade launcher to be equipped with Mehmetçik 1. Mehmetçik 1 can be disassembled and maintained without the use of tools, using a bolt locking lug as the screwdriver. The quad-rail is of the 'free-float' variety and does not contact the barrel. This allows for improved accuracy.

The Barrel of Mehmetçik 1 is cold hammer-forged which allows the barrel to maintain its accuracy for over 20,000 rounds, with minimal degradation of muzzle velocity. The cold hammer-forging process also allows for improved operator safety during obstructed bore occurrences or after extended firing sessions. This includes "OTB" (Over-the-beach) capability; Mehmetçik 1 can be safely fired after being submerged in water and not completely drained.

mehmetik1wp6.png

memoko8.jpg

the ak did that 50 years ago so they are just catching up

Apparently the modern AR meets the reliability of the AK.
The thing about the AK series is that the quality varies significantly depending on who manufactured it and for whom and when.

Nothing new... The AR-18 has been around since 1963, these rifles are just putting the gas piston system in a AR-15 package. Besides, there are American companies that actually make gas piston ARs that are superior to the HK products. If I had the dough to burn I'd buy a P-308 carbine right now.

P308165A1.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing new... The AR-18 has been around since 1963, these rifles are just putting the gas piston system in a AR-15 package. Besides, there are American companies that actually make gas piston ARs that are superior to the HK products. If I had the dough to burn I'd buy a P-308 carbine right now.

P308165A1.jpg
Wow, this particular weapon really looks great.

Dont make the mistake to see Turkey as a third world country...

It's a very advanced civilization with a very proud people. They have a good level when it comes to technology. The little I've heard, they make their own helicopters and such...

It's not the level of Russia/japan/US... But they are good when it comes to make weapons...

Dont laugh at them because they are from Turkey...

There was a time when France was mocking Germany...

Back