Turkey, member of European Union?

Well I only can speak for myself, but it's not the democracy that does it for me (only a little). As I have stated before it's the common history. There needs to be a basis for a common identity and the expansion in 2004 for already stretching that! It takes time and rushing it will only harm the unity of the EU. But that's just my opinion.

:cens:
phoenix80 said:
yeah? do they kill/jail their minorities?

If you mean PKK as minorities yes we jail and kill them... Because they are not minority THEY are damned Terrorists...!

Why don't we kill our other Kurdish citizens? Why we only kill PKK terrorists...? Answer these questions!

You dont know anything about our war with PKK...!

We killed PKK militans because they killed our innocent civilans..!!!
We killed them because they also killed our 30000 innocent citizens including Kurdish ones.!

Dont talk about a subject which you have no information.!!!!

:box: :cen: :cen:

Wow, oRTouch, aren't you touchy on the subject? It is a legitimate question, because the PKK business does tarnish the image of the whole of Turkey. I know that things have been relatively calm lately, but it remains a legitimate question.... (IMO)

What the heck is PKK??

As far as I am aware, the Turkish government is not actively engaged in enforcement of racism and religionism. They have their shameful past in that regard: The Armenian Holocaust carried out by the Ottoman Empire. Out of curiosity, how does that past history affect Turkish thinking, if at all?? For instance, Germany is greatly influence by the Holocaust in WW2. I've always wondered if Turkey is similar.

godofthunder9010 said:
What the heck is PKK??

As far as I am aware, the Turkish government is not actively engaged in enforcement of racism and religionism. They have their shameful past in that regard: The Armenian Holocaust carried out by the Ottoman Empire. Out of curiosity, how does that past history affect Turkish thinking, if at all?? For instance, Germany is greatly influence by the Holocaust in WW2. I've always wondered if Turkey is similar.

The answer to your first question, you can find here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurdistan_Workers_Party

And to your second question:
Turkey does not acknowledge the fact that it was a genocide. Many died of hunger while being deported from their homegrounds. Many died of cold, disease, hunger etc and only a couple of thousand were actively killed.
Turkey didn't do business with a some countries who saw it as a genocide..... so you could savely say they didn't loose any sleep over it.

PKK is not a PArty man.. Its a terrorist group!

There was no Armenian Genocide.... Its not true.. They started to fight against Turkish forces with the support of Russia.. They killed our innocent civilians. And we sent them to Syria till the war ends. But on the way to Syria they died because of the cold weather and because of the angry villagers.! Its all that can not called genocide.!

oRTouCH said:
:cens:

If you mean PKK as minorities yes we jail and kill them... Because they are not minority THEY are damned Terrorists...!

Why don't we kill our other Kurdish citizens? Why we only kill PKK terrorists...? Answer these questions!

You dont know anything about our war with PKK...!

We killed PKK militans because they killed our innocent civilans..!!!
We killed them because they also killed our 30000 innocent citizens including Kurdish ones.!

Dont talk about a subject which you have no information.!!!!

:box: :cen: :cen:

well if your stupid government had given them civil rights, they wouldnt be turned to terrorists.

See, your society is still undemocratic so wait in the line to enter EU

There was no Armenian Genocide.... Its not true.. They started to fight against Turkish forces with the support of Russia.. They killed our innocent civilians. And we sent them to Syria till the war ends. But on the way to Syria they died because of the cold weather and because of the angry villagers.! Its all that can not called genocide.!

Indeed your country killed hundreds of thousands of Armenian Christians in early 20th century and it is a genocide.

They had to leave Turkey and die on the way because your army forced them to

Ask any Armenian about that, they still hold rallies in month of April, every year, to condemn the Turkish government.

Last edited:
But on the way to Syria they died because of the cold weather and because of the angry villagers.! Its all that can not called genocide.!

And who was it that forced the Armenians to move to Syria?

So Japan is not responsible for the deaths of the thousands of Allied POW's during the Baatan Death March?

Is the US government not responsible for the thousands of Native Americans that died on the Trail of Tears?

Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan was quoted as saying the cartoons -- one depicting the founder of Islam wearing a turban resembling a bomb showed press freedom should have its limits. -From CNN

With opinions like this, is it any wonder why people dont want Turkey in the EU.

Turkey is years away from becoming a civil and democratic society.

Until then EU is not a good place for such country

I can't help but agree with the Turkish Prime Minister in principle, but not on this particular issue.

For instance, we were tracking Osama because we knew his cell phone number, the press published this fact and then Osama got a new phone, several months later 9/11.

Of course does freedom of speech needs to be redefined. But whatever you say, everybody can hear it nowadays. And even the nonsence of some is kicking up a whirlwind somewhere on the planet.

The cartoons are to my opinion not even nearly as blasphemous as it could get and their way-over-the-top reaction startels me. Maybe I should listen to Gladius more often......

Damien435 said:
I can't help but agree with the Turkish Prime Minister in principle, but not on this particular issue.

For instance, we were tracking Osama because we knew his cell phone number, the press published this fact and then Osama got a new phone, several months later 9/11.

Protecting national security interests is one thing, but in this case The Turkish minister was referring to limiting free speech when it comes to religon. And definatly thats a no-no in democratic society, Europe is not a Islamic theocracy.

I heard that people were marching to the embassies of several European countries, because of the cartoons. Let's see what Turkey is made of? I can't think of a better test then a choice between a fundamental western value and a religion. This is where the shared history kicks in. Are you prepared to embrace freedom of speech or do you keep embracing religion as a political tool. If you choose to latter don't bother applying for a EU-seat, at least imo.

(So far I heard that the government thwarted any attack on the embassies, so far so good.)

Ok, Ortouch, we get it, hundreds of thousands of Armenians died because the Ottomans forced them to march hundreds of miles without providing them proper food, clothing, medical attention or shelter. Totally not the government's fault.</sarcasm>

oRTouCH said:
Everyone can create a web site that supports an unreal genocide!!!!

yes but no one can deny the massacre of hundreds of thousands of Armenian in the hand of the Turks and you better accept the reality.

Back