Turkey, member of European Union?

oRTouCH said:
They dont want Turks in EU because there are a lot of Muslims in Turkey and Europeans still have the brain of the Crusade times..

Oh please..... do you really think that I wake up in the morning and want to walk to the Promised land so I can slaughter some of the Infidels? Biologically speaking our brains are made up of the same substance as those of our ancestors. But know that it just sound a bit "odd" !
Besides if we thought that, we wouldn't have gotten them to come and work in our Christian home!!

I just think that Turkey misses the common history shared, which acts as a fundament to build a complete Europe on. Culturally speaking there aren't so many totally different things.... So in my opinion; the fact that Turkey lays in Asia and the lack of common history (think of the Rennaissance, The Enlightenment, Napoleantic Rule, Roman Law and many other things) are reasons to say no to Turkey EU membership.
Besides there are so many uni- and multi-lateral trade agreements possible that Turkey will still benefit greatly from the EU. Many other convenants can be signed and Turkey will have many opportunities and economic advantages.... But making them part of Europe?! What is your reason to want to be part of Europe?

phoenix80 said:
LMAO! Not really!

They don't want turkey in becuz it has a long road ahead to become a full democracy and become a civilized nation-state!

How can you say that Turkey is not a full democratic country....Be sure that Turkey is the most democratic Muslim country...And also we are more democratic than some of the EU's member countries..

I reckon that Turkey will become an EU member, but what are your reasons to want to join Ortouch?

Turkey's economy will grow by 10 percent next year - more than any of the economies of the current European Union. Half of Turkey's trade is already with the EU, and it is already a major market for British and EU exporters.
The political case for Turkish accession is even more powerful. It would show how diversity of culture and religion is compatible with a unity of purpose. A stable, prosperous Turkey, a secular nation with a majority Muslim population, anchored in the European Union, would be a powerful symbol.
Why now? Because it's time. The prospect of EU membership, particularly over the last three years, has driven an impressive process of change in Turkey. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan's AKP government has pursued a thoroughgoing and courageous program of reform, including the abolition of the death penalty and measures to combat torture.
And also Turkey can be a control point of EU for Middle East. You know there has always been problems on that region...

Are these reasons enough?

I am mixed up.. isnt Turkey a European country?

I mean, on maps, some say its in Europe and others in Asia..

It should be just like Russia, half in Asia and half in Europe dont you think?? Its kind of big and wide.. and has some Europe there.. I mean certainly if you replace Norway and place it in the location of Turkey it would still be Europe right?
I dont know about the culture and stuff, but basically talking about the location :)

In fact Turkey is a European country but some of the Europeans doesnt want to accept it because our many cities are in Asia...

Because of this some says that Turkey is not a European country. But the whole Cyprus(I mean the Souther Cyprus) is in Asia isnt it?

The EU is in the process of including the less-developed and poorer Eastern European nations that are undergoing dramatic economic changes. But to accept Turkey in the EU is debatable mainly because of geographical aspects.

but if Cyprus is in Europe, then Turkey is..

Besides, it mostly is in Europe, at least it doesnt have the same climate etc.etc as the middle east very much really.. and I am sure that Turkey has a better economy than most east European countries..

I find your explanation very interesting oRtouCH, because your insights are from a Turkish point of view. I hadn't heard these before.

And MM most of Turkey lays geographically in Asia minor. Only the piece north of the Bosphorus is considered Europe. But Cypres is not considered Asia, at least not as far as I know.

But what interests me most is the lack of a common history, as I stated earlier in this thread. What is your view about that oRtouCH?

tumap8en.gif

I have colored in the part of Turkey that physically lies in Europe. Note the "physically" as Europe is not a physical continent but a political one. There are six physical continents in the world and seven political. (Eurasia is one physical continent, two politically.)

So, to try and block Turkey from joining the EU using the basis that an overwhelming majority of the country does not physically lie in a political continent just does not work.

I think the EU would be stupid not to let Turkey join, throughout their history Turkey has whipped the Europeans like a little school boy and the EU would be very wise to get this... adversary who always cleans their clocks on their side.

Damien thanks for your map :D
As everyone see the Turkish Asian soils you may also see the Cyprus above the Turkish Asian soils...

And Ted What is my wiew is about what?

oRTouCH said:
Damien thanks for your map :D
As everyone see the Turkish Asian soils you may also see the Cyprus above the Turkish Asian soils...

And Ted What is my wiew is about what?

Well you stated your point on joining the EU from a political, geographical and cultural point of view, and did this convincingly.
Economical I can say that Turkey does not necessarily needs to join the EU to get economic favourable treaties. Uni- and multilateral treaties can make sure the Turkey has a favourable position.
And I missed your view on the historical background. My "no" is based on a long shared history, from the Romans, Charel Martel, inquisitions, 100 years war, 80 years war, intermarriage between many Royal houses and Christianity with all its war and rows....

I was interested in what you have to say to these points. As I said; you got me convinced on the other points and I wondered if you could sway my view on the Turkish membership.

I think that the EU stands to benefit moreso than Turkey.

Turkey is one of those interesting paradoxes. I think that Turkish folks prefer to be considered Europeans mostly because "Middle Eastern" = "Mostly Backwards and Well Behind the Times" in this day and age. That certainly does not describe Turkey. Turkey stands to benefit more from closer ties to Europe than from closer ties to the Middle East. But there is not question that most of Turkey is geographically located in Asia/the Middle East.

It's interesting how Turkey has gone from Great Ruler of the Middle East 100 years ago, to wanting to disassociate itself from the rest of the Middle East today. We go from the collapse of the Ottoman Empire at the end of WW1, to Turkey joining NATO during the Cold War. <-- That is probably the greatest item that makes everyone think of Turkey as European and not Middle Eastern. Joining the EU would just be a continuation of the same sort of thing and it is in Turkey's best interests to forge their ties to Europe in official terms in the same way that NATO worked for them. The biggest reason that Turkey is making a good move is exactly as OrTouch described: Here is you're one EU member who is overwhelmingly Muslim, and it demonstrates tolerance, diversity and the bare fact that Islam and Christendom can actually get along.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff indeed..

But really, I mean people shoudnt really look at a nation and decide its not European because of its culture or belief..
Its mostly the location and position. And yes, Turkey, just as Russia, lies between 2 continents. And Turkey, lies a little bit up north, I mean its longitude matches that of other European nations, then also, looking at the map posted earlier, there were a bunch of Greek islands that should be concidered Asian then..

Also, the same applies for Russia. Most of Russia lies in Asia. But the capital is in the Euoropean part, like Turkey right?

Russia is far too proud to enter the European Union. Doing so would imply/admit that they're no longer on equal standing with the USA in the World.

But that is exactly my point GoT! Russia is in the same predicament with it's geography as Turkey. I reckon that Russia could profit enormously from the EU via defferent trade agreements. One of the most common arguments for Turkey's entering is economics. It would be so easy to maintain very profitable trade agreements with Turkey without Trukey becoming a EU-member.
I reckon that there's is a very large group of people in Norhtwest Europe who are not yet ready for Turkey. It is a feeling and they are already overfed with 10 new members in 2004. When there will be another vote for the European constitution these people will vote "no", because they feel it is not their Europe anymore.
I know that feelings and perceptions are not the thing to make policy with, but they do tip the balance when every vote is counted as an equal.

The biggest obstacle to Turkey joining the EU is Greece, there is so much bad blood between the countries Greece will try and block Turkey just on a point of principle, Then there is the problem of Cyprus, Greece has had it's eye on it for years and has stirred up a lot of trouble in that island over the years and now it is split between Greece and Turkey it has widened the gap even more.

Why EU accepted the Old East Block Countries to EU?
Most of them are not more democratic than Turkey...

Back