tunisian soldier with steyr AUG

booty539

I have just glanced at the news , watching events unfold in tunisia,spotted a tunisian soldier wandering around with a steyr AUG!!! that would scare me even if the government was still in place:m16shoot::m16shoot:

AUG is an incredible piece of machinery, complex as well...After looking at a cutaway of that thing I had to take a nap.

Question is how long will that AUG hold up in his possesion? And does he have the parts to keep that thing functional over a long period of time.

As for how they got it, the back channels are always open, in more places than not in the world, if you want it, you got it,.... all being for a price.

If they are buying, I am sure they could get em, not surprising, like I said, Dollars, Rubles, Yen, Euros and pounds of prime cut sirloin talks.

AUG is an incredible piece of machinery, complex as well...After looking at a cutaway of that thing I had to take a nap.

Complex but very simple to operate. I really like shooting with these, even though it has been a while and newer better models have come out since.
Any serving Aus member should be able to give you an insight into these things and the latest bibs and bobs they hang on them these days!

steyr AUG

I have heard also that they are formidable weapons,in the hands of a a tunisian??? maybe not,lol,or is that being cruel?

Australia is up to what could be described as the "F88A3" incarnation. Picatinny rails on top of the receiver, and 4 sides of the barrel. Allowing for attachment of all the usual bells & whistles. Even the standard optic sight now has a rail on it, for the attachment of a reflex sight like the "Doktor".

steyr AUG

sounds a really good tool,would be interested to hear some "real world" feedback as to how it stands up to desert/maritime useage

The F88 isn't terribly well suited to maritime operations. The tolerances are so tight that water won't drain from the barrel if it is immersed. That's why you see the Navy Clearance Divers, SASR and Commandos using M4s instead of F88s. They've performed well enough in the Middle East (Australia is also pretty sandy and dusty). You just have to maintain them properly.

Not the greatest bit of kit really, but I don't mind it. It is actually very easy to maintain, and one of the great things about it is how easy it is to maintain with no tools.

booty539, you shouldnt mock the Tunisian army like that...

There is strong men in every people, even with the less sophisticated people.

Now, I dont like these bullpup designs, they are nice on paper... But I believe that nothing beats a good old M16 design or something like it... Like the new AK74 models (AK101 etc...)

The Steyr Aug is nice looking... But I heard they had issues with it. Like the plastic magazines breaking... etc...

I'm sure that they fixed this stuff... But how can you attack a baionett to this toy and use it as a spear? How to hit someone with the butt of the rifle and do some real damage?

With a long gun like an M16... I can imagine that... But with an Steyr Aug? i have a doubt...

booty539, you shouldnt mock the Tunisian army like that...

There is strong men in every people, even with the less sophisticated people.

Now, I dont like these bullpup designs, they are nice on paper... But I believe that nothing beats a good old M16 design or something like it... Like the new AK74 models (AK101 etc...)

The Steyr Aug is nice looking... But I heard they had issues with it. Like the plastic magazines breaking... etc...

I'm sure that they fixed this stuff... But how can you attack a baionett to this toy and use it as a spear? How to hit someone with the butt of the rifle and do some real damage?

With a long gun like an M16... I can imagine that... But with an Steyr Aug? i have a doubt...

You sound to me like you're a real hero when you play Call Of Duty. So what's your military experience, other than XBOX?

In my DECADES of using the F88, I never had a magazine break. So much for what you heard.

The F88/AUG can most certainly be fitted with a bayonet, but who'd want to (except someone doing a melee attack in COD)?

FYI, if I hit you with you with the butt of an AUG, you'd know you'd been hit.:rambo:

Spartan613, why are you talking about video games? I dont get it.

And okay, take a steyr Aug and give me an M16 and let's have a melee fight...

We all know that the advantage of bullpup design is to be shorter/lighter designs... But size and weight arent always a problem, they have some strong points...

And close combat is still a reality. You know that better than me. I know that most people who die in combat die in long range combat... But sometimes, you have to deal with you enemy in close combat and there is reports about Marines in Fallujah using their knives in combat.

And speaking about the Tunisian soldier in the picture. These soldiers were acting in riot situations where you have to deal with an angry crowd.

The crowd knows that the soldier wont use his rifle firepower only as a last resort because bullets can miss or worse penetrate multiple human beings...

But if you had an M16... You would be able to break some arms/legs easily...

And I know that a bullpup design can still be used to hit. You can hit people even with a pistol... As long as it's heavy and hard, you can do damage with it...

But in melee:
M16 design is superior to any bullpup design.

You can at least give me that.

FFS lemask another one of your b******t posts. seriously do you think you are qualified to talk about this? Let me assure you a bayonet fitted to a steyr is a reality, and a butt stroke from said weapon will knock a useless prick like you on your ass

I dont need your approval...

I dont like these hightech, toy like, plastic looking, short guns... What's wrong with that?

If I say that a big heavy rifle is better for melee what's wrong with that? Why do you have to be jerks and insult people like that?

I think it's ridiculous to send soldiers with Steyr Augs to hold a position a riot situation... These things look like toys...

And can you tell me what kind of qualitications I need to have the right to voice an opinion here my good lord?

An M16 wouldn't last long in a melee fight either...it too is made primarily out of plastic. It's NOT a "big, heavy, rifle" I don't think there have been hardly any enemy killed from a rifle bayonet attached to the actual rifle...sure there have been hand to hands...but usually WITHOUT the bayonet.

About looking like a toy...they said the same thing about the M16 when it came out...50 YEARS AGO.

That's true. Looked like a toy next to an M14 or whatever they had before that... Just compare a M60 and the M249 SAW... It's cute next to it.

So what's left if both the M16 and the Steyr Aug are light designs? Length only?

I saw once a Famas with a bayonet... But the gun is "too square" for my taste too... All bullpup designs I saw look too short for this job.

And when you say hand to hand combat, is the use of knives included in this category?

Is the military trying to track these events for statistics?

The fact of the matter is if you are in a situation where hand to hand combat is needed, you're using whatever you can to kill your enemy. For instance: Army Staff Sergeant David Bellevia found himself in a hand to hand fight with an insurgent during the battle of Fullujah. He used his hands, his helmet, and his front sappy plate from his body armor to pummel this guy, but still he would not submit. Finally, he managed to get his gerber knife off of his belt and stab the insurgent in the collar bone/ neck.

So yes, knifes are counted in this category...but most soldiers carry their own combat knifes based on preferance. I would NEVER enter a room during MOUT with a bayonet on my rifle because it makes the rifle even longer...which is a bad thing.

It's true that a long gun isnt the best choise in urban and CQB in a tight environment... But what about crowd control?

If you had to hold a position against an angry mob... Like here in Tunisia/Egypt... You are pretty much in the open, in the streets and it's not yet the time to use lethal force.

Would you put a bayonet on your rifle? At least to look more threatening... And would you prefer a bullpup design or the good ol' M16?

Back