tunisian soldier with steyr AUG

Want to play justice court Spartan613?

When did I speak about firepower here? It doesnt take a genius to understand the advantage of a bull-pup design. You put the magazine behind the trigger, so you get a longer canon for the same size... and bla bla...

But I didnt question firepower here. I questioned looks and I questioned the choices when it comes to size and weight as they can be useful in melee...

Maybe that for you a gun is made for shooting first, and the rest is only secondary... You dont care much about the value of your gun as a club if you can save a few pounds as you will have to carry it around... Good for you...

But I have other interests... I did some fencing when I was younger and I like the idea of having a sharp bayonet, even if it's not so important on a modern battlefield, and I like a long and heavy gun capable of dealing a lot of damage if we swing it...

These are choices... I'm not your defense minister trying to make you throw your beloved F88...

Dont forget one thing, you know why we speak so much about freedom? It's for a very simple reason. Because we dont know. We dont know what's best for us. This is why we allow people to do whatever they want, because we reached the level where we are humble enough to know that we dont have all the answers...

You say that the F88 is a good weapon? Well, maybe... But it's YOUR answer. Your answer as a professional soldier in a modern army...
Even if my comment are ridiculous, all it takes is a few ignorant people who think like me to make it a reality.

If this Tunisian soldier with his Steyr Aug gets attacked by an angry mob of individuals who are stupid enough to think that his rifle is a joke... Then they will add a few page in your smart-book to teach you how to look dangerous and scary when you are holding such a rifle...

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Idiot.

Let's be careful so that no one ends up in Milforum Court.

I can make a new thread if you like on pros/cons of the F 88, then anyone who wishes to post can have their "reset" button granted, and we don't have to ruin someone else's thread about Tunisian Soldiers and their AUGs. Which is the topic here no?

Yo,

You get thread drift mate. Happens every time. You can start a new thread, but I wouldn't bother. I'm through with explaining musketry to a dill who thinks how a weapon looks is more important that how well it works.

Spartan613, please, one last work of explaining... As you are the expert.

Dont retire now, help me to explain to a retard that "I dont like the looks of a weapon" doesnt mean "This weapon cant shoot worth a s***."

Can you help me?

Spartan613, please, one last work of explaining... As you are the expert.

Dont retire now, help me to explain to a retard that "I dont like the looks of a weapon" doesnt mean "This weapon cant shoot worth a s***."

Can you help me?

The only thing that could help you is 55 grains one inch below and behind your left ear.

steyr AUG

looked at the posts with interest,lol,think i will be a member of spartans gang!!
real world experience cant be googled le mask..my military career consisted of exposure to bullpups exclusively (L85A2).which by the way is an excellent weapon,very accurate etc..and a smack on the head with it would hurt ..A LOT!!, also your assumption about magazine breaking etc is inaccurate,never seen 1 in 9 years of service..my questions on the steyr were in the pursuit of knowledge, because we should never stop learning:thumb:

looked at the posts with interest,lol,think i will be a member of spartans gang!!
real world experience cant be googled le mask..my military career consisted of exposure to bullpups exclusively (L85A2).which by the way is an excellent weapon,very accurate etc..and a smack on the head with it would hurt ..A LOT!!, also your assumption about magazine breaking etc is inaccurate,never seen 1 in 9 years of service..my questions on the steyr were in the pursuit of knowledge, because we should never stop learning:thumb:

THATS WHAT WE NEED!

Knowlegde gained, thats what I'm looking for, not somone's conflicting opinions and assumption based agurements.

:read:

We're already in thesame gang, mate. The Commonwealth! Also ANZUK, ABCA, and a few other treaties etc.

My experience with the L85 was when it was still in it's A1 configuration (the dodgy mag release and auto-sear days), Even then it shot well, but not as well balanced as the AUG/F88. Still, a solid example of a Bullpup My main interest when I was at Warminster was the L96A1, which we adopted in a modified "AW" version as the SR98 Sniper Rifle.:sniper:

acc int

cool,never fired one myself but never heard a bad word about it from people who had,top drawer tool,did you guy's adopt the lapua round also?..limited exposure to the A1,but most of the gripes from older guys seemed to be denting or damaging the steel by the reciever,also reloading mag,but never had a prob with later model,bit back end heavy but once used to it i liked it a lot,did u find that with the AUG ?

Last edited:
The F88 balances at the pistol grip with a full magazine fitted. So nice to carry and fire. Adding bells and whistles messes that up. Can't say about ammo types in use.

F88

thanks for your insight into the steyr,maybe in the future i'll get my hands on 1 be good to get a comparison for myself..guys i served with who keep their ears to the ground have said that HM armed forces are scrapping the A2 as The standard infantry rifle & adopting the H&K G36 .but with the economy the way it is , defence spending etc im not so sure

Last edited:
The F88 balances at the pistol grip with a full magazine fitted. So nice to carry and fire. Adding bells and whistles messes that up. Can't say about ammo types in use.

I am asking out of curiosity,

But how sturdy is the AUG/F 88? I do not mean as in using the weapon as a bludgeoning device, but as a whole, since I am sure unlike the movies you must carry it with you at all times, is it fragile? Or a good solid frame?

Because the frame itself seems to have certian structal components inside it that can help stiffen if the user happens to have any bumps or scraps while carrying it, especially if in a hurry.

All I know is that if you swing it at the enemy to hit him with the butt of the rifle, the magazine will be very close to the impact area...

And I dont know how dangerous can it be to the mechanics inside the gun, or the magazine integrity etc...

No offense at all, not even in the slightest, but I was asking Spartan613, seeing as he has field experiance with the weapon. But you are correct I am asking out curiosity. And still value your opinion.

Yo,

They are fairly sturdy I did hear of trial them being run over with an apc without being damaged. I have only seen one break. During bayonet training I watched a bloke (a massive bloke I might add) hit a target with such force he put the barrel and receiver back into the butt. Mind you he did break his wrist also, and may have been a tad vigorous in his stab. The usual damage when stabbing a wooden target is bending the bayonet. Personally I always found them to be fairly good structurally.
Oh and the magazine is tucked in pretty well.

I am asking out of curiosity,

But how sturdy is the AUG/F 88? I do not mean as in using the weapon as a bludgeoning device, but as a whole, since I am sure unlike the movies you must carry it with you at all times, is it fragile? Or a good solid frame?

Because the frame itself seems to have certian structal components inside it that can help stiffen if the user happens to have any bumps or scraps while carrying it, especially if in a hurry.

Very sturdy. During the selection trials, they ran one over with a Landrover, put it in a rig, and fired it. My old M16, on the other hand, had the handgrips broken by an over eager Air Force Loadmaster with a cargo strap.

All I know is that if you swing it at the enemy to hit him with the butt of the rifle, the magazine will be very close to the impact area...

And I dont know how dangerous can it be to the mechanics inside the gun, or the magazine integrity etc...

Idiot.....

Back