Tsunami Donations per capita results

interesting figures, but i would like to see them from a source which is a bit more politically neutral
the table is in desparate need of being updated
little johnny howard has pledged AUS$1billion and he is showing in the media that he has a heart, onya johnny!!!

Interesting to see Norway on top of that list.. :)

It's even possible that the government will give more.
Many "high ranking" Norwegians wants us to give around 6-10 Billion NOK (around 6 NOK = 1 USD)...
Over 400,000,000 NOK have been donated to aid organizations so far, and there will be a big TV charity tonight so that number should go up even more...

But I'm getting a bit "worried" that we may ge giving "too much" now.. :?
ref my post here:
http://www.military-quotes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=80571#80571

Locke said:
interesting figures, but i would like to see them from a source which is a bit more politically neutral
the table is in desparate need of being updated
little johnny howard has pledged AUS$1billion and he is showing in the media that he has a heart, onya johnny!!!

yeah, sorry about the political bent of that website ( i happen to agree with it but i would've prefered something a little more impartial)

do you think this aid from Aus ( to indonesia ) will go some way to thawing relations between these two countries?

oh yes
and its a very good thing, you should always try to be on good terms with your neighbours, especially when they are a lot bigger than you. it has certain benefits as they can help us with getting into trade agreements with other asian countries
its definently looking good

Taiwan has donated US $50 mil from the government and the private donation is already over US $57 mil as well. With a population of 23 mi, I thought the list should include Taiwan... Owell I guess I know why we are not on the list :p

Zyca said:
Taiwan has donated US $50 mil from the government and the private donation is already over US $57 mil as well. With a population of 23 mi, I thought the list should include Taiwan... Owell I guess I know why we are not on the list :p

i don't think it's due to "that".
it's a wee bit outdated. has mainland china donated yet?

Donations of money is great, how many nations are there with helos, ships and "feet on the street" in force helping these people? Money means nothing without getting the aid to the people, just ask the people of Africa.

chewie_nz said:
Australia, NZ, The US, France

those are the ones i know of at least

That's what is important, my wife is from Penang, Malaysia and we had some trying times trying to get in contact with my inlaws. Luckily, most of my inlaws were in NZ visiting my sister in law and her husband. The direct ability to help these people is what is going to make a difference, not the amount of money. It is almost like when East Timor exploded, Austrailia was able to react with goods and personnel, that is what is required.

chewie_nz said:
Australia, NZ, The US, France

those are the ones i know of at least

You can add Norway to that list as well...
We've sent down medical personell, light field hospitals, C-130 Hercules etc..

I agree with you Lil Hulk, sending down "boots on the ground(air)" are much more valuable than money right now.

Hi,

You can Add India to it as well :D

India has Promised 23 Million Dollars To the neighbouring Counties.

And right now Indian Millitary is conducting it's largest rescue and Search Operation ever in the neighbouring Countries..................with more than 10,000 Troops Involved.

Money is one thing Right now we need people on the Groung ( Doctors/ techenicians etc ) ..............Aid is reaching to the people but it's very Slow...............The Logistics have to be sorted out Quickely and proper Distribution methd is needed right now.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/08/1104832354113.html?oneclick=true

Australians have been hailed the most generous people on earth after pledging more than $15 million for victims of the Boxing Day tsunami during a star-studded fundraising concert tonight.

The three commercial networks put traditional rivalries aside for the first time to simultaneously broadcast a concert and telethon to raise money for charity World Vision
while i highly doubt that we are "the most generous nation on earth" (in fact im rather annoyed they typed that, its bigheaded and downright stupid) it is rather impressive ammount. i heard there are heaps of companies who have pledged that they will match every dollar thier employees donate]
please note that the 15mil has nothing to do with the government, it is purely money donated by citizens during a telethon

My Niece is married to an Indonesian and they keep us updated as much as possible. They were forced to leave because of being Christian but still have ties. He sent an article about some parts of the Nation that will be rebuilt and by an odd twist of fate, will be better off than at any time in their history because of poverty and deaths by disease. Strange how at least a morsel of good can come from such devastation.

Locke said:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2005/01/08/1104832354113.html?oneclick=true

Australians have been hailed the most generous people on earth after pledging more than $15 million for victims of the Boxing Day tsunami during a star-studded fundraising concert tonight.

The three commercial networks put traditional rivalries aside for the first time to simultaneously broadcast a concert and telethon to raise money for charity World Vision
while i highly doubt that we are "the most generous nation on earth" (in fact im rather annoyed they typed that, its bigheaded and downright stupid) it is rather impressive ammount. i heard there are heaps of companies who have pledged that they will match every dollar thier employees donate]
please note that the 15mil has nothing to do with the government, it is purely money donated by citizens during a telethon

we had that concert broadcast here in NZ too... man, that was some painful T.V. great cause and all. fantastic amount of money raised, but painfully bad to watch

lol tell me about it
rove kissing bert newton ARRRRGGGG
lol

and whoever came up with the idea that grettle killen is a celebrity, well, lets just say they need serious therapy, fast!!

Locke said:
lol tell me about it
rove kissing bert newton ARRRRGGGG
lol

and whoever came up with the idea that grettle killen is a celebrity, well, lets just say they need serious therapy, fast!!

ahahahaha!
AGREED!

Italy is Europe's third contributor: we gave over 70 mill dollars, a couple of camp hospitals and our army, police and rescue teams are there, along with our CSI squads.

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
Donations of money is great, how many nations are there with helos, ships and "feet on the street" in force helping these people? Money means nothing without getting the aid to the people, just ask the people of Africa.

Most countries have medical teams, supplys and planes helping out there in diferent parts.

Back