Trying to join the Marine Corps

sgaurneri

I've been trying to get in the Marine Corps the Past year, however a waiver for hearing loss was denied. Someone told me that you are allowed to try to get in every 6 months. Any information as to if this is true or not would be greatly appreciated.
Respectfully, Steven Guarneri

Although I have heard the same thing, I would just see a civilian doc until you can get cleared, otherwise try your luck in another branch, and I know I'll hear from the other Marines about this (me being one myself) but you may find yourself in a better position going to another branch. Although right now, none of them are really hurting to get anyone in so it's difficult to get a waiver period, again from recent personal experience. But stay on top of whatever it is you need to do and don't let up until it's absolutely hopeless, if you really want this then you can do it with something like hearing loss, and you don't have hearing aids or anything like that do you?

I hate being the bearer of bad news sgaurneri, but things don't look good for you. A medical disqualification comes in two types, temporary and permanent. A temporary DQ is for something like a broken bone that eventually will become a non-issue. A permanent DQ (which sounds like what you have) is for a condition that time will not mend. Once you are permantely DQ'd then the only other option is a waiver.
If your waiver is denied, that's the end of it. There are no appeals to the medical waiver process.
On the bright side, you could consider what SchizoMoose recommended and try another branch. I would imagine you would still need a waiver because medical standards are the same across the board for all branches (the only exception being you can't be allergic to shellfish and join the coast guard, I have no clue why). You may have better luck getting a waiver from a different branch. A few things they look for when determining a waiver are:
1. Is the recruit "Exceptionally" Qualified? (i.e. Aced the ASVAB, College Credits, peak Physical Fitness, etc.)
2. How bad do we need a warm body? (Are recruiting numbers low)

Just because the Marines did not take you does not mean that another branch won't. I would definately try going that route. As far as the Marines go though, unless you have a Congressman in your immediate family, it's not going to happen.

No I have never needed a hearing aid. In fact, I recently saw an audiologist and took a hearing test with similar results. However, the audiologist observed a considerable amount of wax in my ear.

They recomended I go to an ENT for wax removal. I took this advice and went back on Friday to take another audiological evaluation. The results were night and day. The audiologist broke down the test results to me, and said I now have normal hearing after I had the wax removed.

I spoke to my recruiter about this and they said I can try for another waiver, so I am happy about this. I am just hoping that they look at my current hearing threshold,(which is now above 30 DBs) and approve my waiver. I know nothing is a guarantee, but nonetheless my hearing is normal.

Last edited:
My waiver was denied for a medical reason that I was never diagnosed with and it does not exist in my medical records. How do I get this fixed?

As an ex-recruiter problems with the Dr’s at MEPPs are legendary. For my part I think most of the Dr’s I sent applicants to were overage and, in some cases, senile.

One Dr disqualified a girl due to pregnancy, she came back hysterical. He father was a local Pastor, with the help of his congregation he had her tested by three different Dr’s. Not only was she not pregnant she was still a virgin!

All recruiters suspected that MEPPs often disqualified applicants when the districts mission had been met in order to have people for the next month.

Since they were Gov Employees (and Dr’s) it seemed nothing could be done about them, certainly not at our level.

Back