Is it true u can lose ur commission

JulesLee

if you join a different federal job? my friend said if I get a job working for the embassy/FBI and stuff like that, I will lose my commission? I was thinking of staying in the guard and was thinking about working for the embassy.. I dont know how that could work but.. I have no clue

Well if you work at an embassy, you'd be abroad. Are you allowed to be a part of the Guard when your address is abroad?

You won't lose your commission. You can stay in the reserves/NG and still maintain an RC commission... There are many, many folks that work for the Fed Govt in DC that maintain their reserve status. Don't worry.. plus you just got your commission.. you're good...

Just a little thought to be placed here. IF you plan on doing 3 lettered super secret squirrel fed organization work i.e. Any type of foreign service, state dept, CIA, etc. You may have your commission yanked. Mainly because of the conflict of interest involved in dealing with foreign governments. Not good mojo to have military officers negotiating or dealing with other governments as it may look devious or misleading. Also not sure those agencies will entertain the idea of another organization taking your time. As those are highly active agencies. Conflict of interest issues there. Also your probably not going to have alot of time for Reserve duty if your job requires your constant attention and travel time. Alas all of this depends on what type of duty your doing as well. As for any other domestic fed work I wouldn't see an issue there are members of the House of Representatives that are commissioned officers.

Are you allowed to be a part of the Guard when your address is abroad?

Yes. USAREUR had drilling reservists for dependants overseas. The 7th Civil Support Command was over there back a long time ago when I was a dependant in that area.

Back