The true and not so true American allies? - Page 2




 
--
 
August 17th, 2004  
Shadowalker
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
Then why is the US still carrying the bulk of combat operations in Afghanistan? If Europe really wanted to help, they'd stop debated the issue and take some action, or there going to have another Madrid.
Madrid is part of the reason why europeans countries dont want to become involved as it makes them a target by becoming involved, the eurocorps is currently incontrol of the military forces in afganistan
August 17th, 2004  
GuyontheRight
 
Madrid is part of the reason why europeans countries dont want to become involved as it makes them a target by becoming involved

Everyone is a target for these people. Every free nation of democracy. In the past when the world got kicked in the ass we'd turn around and kick them back in the balls and end this nonsense.
August 17th, 2004  
Shadowalker
 
 
I guess there thinking that if they stick there heads in the sand and let the coalition deal with the terrorists they will be untroubled. Yes they should be helping deal with the terrorists but its there way of dealing with it!
--
August 17th, 2004  
godofthunder9010
 
 
The United Kingdom and Israel are probably the most loyal allies we have in the world.
August 17th, 2004  
Eric
 
Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and Uzbekistan.

This is the so called coalition of the willing against Iraq (also called coalition of the "coerced" by some! )
Honestly, it is easy to find the military or economic reason for the gesture...actually easier to find than any other one...
Like Afghanistan, South Korea, Japan, Ethiopia, Erithrea, Nicaragua, Colombia, El Salvador, Macedonia, the Philippines had a choice....
Like the former old and new eastern European coutries are not interested in joining NATO or getting a piece of it...
Like Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Georgia don't have a plan.
Like Italy, Spain (at that time) and Turkey could argue with NATO big Bro...
The UK acts now like a colony because it feels more American than European....
I guess the Netherlands and Denmark are the real Friends....

By the way, what is the status of the countries lined up with the US in Afghanistan, Africa or former Yougoslavia?
What about the countries that have to release terrorists because the US doesn't want to help prosecute for fear of exposing critical secrets?
August 18th, 2004  
c/Commander
 
 
The British are probably our best allies. The French have to be our worst, with Germany close behind. Sorry to any French or Germans here...I know that not all of the population supports your governments' positions on Iraq.
August 18th, 2004  
RnderSafe
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Hawk
Everyone in NATO was on board when it came to Afghanistan, and they are all equally heavily engaged in various counterterrorist activities.
Equally? No, not possible - most countries do not have the man power, money, equpitment or specialised training to be "equal" with the major players. The top three supporters and suppliers of/to the GWOT are the US, UK and (drum roll) France, in that order.

Quote:
the eurocorps is currently incontrol of the military forces in afganistan
Eurocorps, under NATO, has command of ISAF. OEF, with it's 18,000+ troops is not under NATO command.
August 18th, 2004  
1217
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
Then why is the US still carrying the bulk of combat operations in Afghanistan? If Europe really wanted to help, they'd stop debated the issue and take some action, or there going to have another Madrid.
There are Dutch soldiers in Afganistan, and we just had another one killed in Iraq.
I don't think you have the right to say anything demeaning about the involvement of my country. Our government supported the attack on Iraq politically from the start, believing intel provided by the US. They didn't want to join in with the actual attack because the UN had it's doubts, we already had troops in Afganistan and there was no need for our involvement.
I think the different countries can all figure out for themselves how they want to avoid another Madrid. That's democracy. If Spain want's to stay away from Iraq, that's their choice, and I disagree. I think they shouldn't give in.
The Dutch are in Iraq and trying to help. I'm proud of it and I won't let you tell me we've taken a "hostile position to the US military's actions in Iraq", because it's simply not true.
August 18th, 2004  
GuyontheRight
 
I don't think you have the right to say anything demeaning about the involvement of my country

Im not, and Im gratful to your people for their help, but try to envision your country bearing the biggest problem in the world and having you citizens paying the ultimate price day in a day out.
August 18th, 2004  
1217
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
I don't think you have the right to say anything demeaning about the involvement of my country

Im not, and Im gratful to your people for their help, but try to envision your country bearing the biggest problem in the world and having you citizens paying the ultimate price day in a day out.
I think I know what you mean, but I don't know what that has to do with you saying
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheRight
With all ou respect, Canada and and the Netherlands have both taken hostile positions to the US military's actions in Iraq, and thats not what allies do