Trophy VS Arena

Both look pretty good, but I have a feeling that ARENA is better. Two reasons why I think this:

- Russia has had plenty of experience with the "Drozd" and "Shtora" APS
- Apparently the ARENA is selected to be equipped on the South Korean K2 MBT

Though I bet TROPHY is also some serious stuff aswell.

Both look pretty good, but I have a feeling that ARENA is better. Two reasons why I think this:

When I watched Arena video It seems like Arena exploding the missile too close to the tank,although Trophy has some distance ... so I Guess Trophy make less damage tu the armor then Arena .. and 2nd thing Arena is too OLD :))) it was designed for T-54 ...
3rd why T-90 as modern Russian in not equiped by Arena at basic versio...I just saw that T-90 comming out of OMSK without Arena Just shtora ?

When I watched Arena video It seems like Arena exploding the missile too close to the tank,although Trophy has some distance ... so I Guess Trophy make less damage tu the armor then Arena .. and 2nd thing Arena is too OLD :))) it was designed for T-54 ...
3rd why T-90 as modern Russian in not equiped by Arena at basic versio...I just saw that T-90 comming out of OMSK without Arena Just shtora ?

You should consider the fact that the cameras distances, angles, quality and lighting are different, so it would appear different.Actually, ARENA was first designed in 1993. The DROZD APS was designed in the 1970's [or 60's, cant remember] and was placed onto old T-54's to increase their survivability in battle. However, im pretty sure that during testings ARENA was placed onto old, disposable T-54's and then shot at..Correct me if im wrong, but the SHTORA-1 is focused mainly on defense against ATGM's? And I think only the ARENA-E is available at the moment [The export version]. I wouldnt be surprised if Russia already equipped some ARENA's onto some T-90's but are keeping it on the "down low".

You should consider the fact that the cameras distances, angles, quality and lighting are different, so it would appear different.Actually, ARENA was first designed in 1993. The DROZD APS was designed in the 1970's [or 60's, cant remember] and was placed onto old T-54's to increase their survivability in battle. However, im pretty sure that during testings ARENA was placed onto old, disposable T-54's and then shot at..Correct me if im wrong, but the SHTORA-1 is focused mainly on defense against ATGM's? And I think only the ARENA-E is available at the moment [The export version]. I wouldnt be surprised if Russia already equipped some ARENA's onto some T-90's but are keeping it on the "down low".

Well you are right T-55ad was the first tank with active Arena protection in 1983*

lets calculate => 2009 - 1983 = 26

so I think the technology improved in 2005 and Trophy have to be better))
Arena's weight is 1000kg (including bulletproof armor)

Shtora-1 is alittle bit complicated then Arena shtora is passive protection. Shtora is a jammer system it jamms Infrared and lasers (used to Aim the tank) after Shtora recognized the threat . it rotating the turret and the GUn to the way of the threat automatically ... it also shoots thermal smoke grenades to jamm IR or laser..

summary

Arena is detonating missiles before they hit tank and Shtora jamms aiming system (but it good only against new missiles).
if both of them mounted I think it is pretty good defense...

May be russians equiped T-90 with Arena I ment that T-90 coming out of it's bigger factory in OMSK without Arena .. Just shtora-1 mounted ..

Last edited:
Well you are right T-55ad was the first tank with active Arena protection in 1983*

lets calculate => 2009 - 1983 = 26

so I think the technology improved in 2005 and Trophy have to be better))
Arena's weight is 1000kg (including bulletproof armor)

Shtora-1 is alittle bit complicated then Arena shtora is passive protection. Shtora is a jammer system it jamms Infrared and lasers (used to Aim the tank) after Shtora recognized the threat . it rotating the turret and the GUn to the way of the threat automatically ... it also shoots thermal smoke grenades to jamm IR or laser..

summary

Arena is detonating missiles before they hit tank and Shtora jamms aiming system (but it good only against new missiles).
if both of them mounted I think it is pretty good defense...

May be russians equiped T-90 with Arena I ment that T-90 coming out of it's bigger factory in OMSK without Arena .. Just shtora-1 mounted ..

I didnt say that the ARENA was put onto a T-54 and then used in service of the Red Army/Russian Army, I said that the DROZD was used on the T-54.

And it would have been impossible for ARENA to have been tested in 1983, for ARENA was designed in 1993. Its possible that SHTORA was tested in 1983, however.

I didnt say that the ARENA was put onto a T-54 and then used in service of the Red Army/Russian Army, I said that the DROZD was used on the T-54.

And it would have been impossible for ARENA to have been tested in 1983, for ARENA was designed in 1993. Its possible that SHTORA was tested in 1983, however.

First Arena TETS was performed in 1983 on T-55AD

I can't find exatly release date of shtora but I sure it is more modern then Arena

In the late 1980s, the Russian Army began development of the Shtora-1 electro-optical jammer. It was first mounted on a T-80U in 1989, and later showcased on a T-72B (renamed T-72BM and later T-90). Shtora-1 is designed to jam incoming anti-tank missiles using a one-kilowatt infrared radiator.

That there clearly says that the Shtora-1 was first used on a T-80U in 1989.

The Arena active protection system was first tested at the Kubinka proving grounds in early 1995, successfully defending a Russian tank against an anti-tank guided missile and a kinetic energy penetrator.

This one speaks for itself. The Shtora is a tiny bit older than ARENA lol :)

Never mind !! Trophy is still modern that Arena :p
You know what that book made in Russia ,, maybe they have mistook there :)
because I searched the net for this and I found that 1983 on t55ad wasn't arena it was "drozd" (silly name for such system).

oh w/e...if both systems made to save lives then they are both great. il go with Russian stuff thought.

just cause the first prototype was made a while ago does not mean that its the same stuff that is today so shove the - arena is older up your ass.

Russians invented stealth in 1963 so stealth is ****ing old and cheap ****.

Drozd is a dead project that did not go anywhere, why would you compare Shtora to Arena, they are different devices, Shtora being soft kill versus Arena being a dedicated hard kill system. ROK has not decided to install Arena on the K2 and must likely will not due to other promising systems that are available. IDF it seems has not really made a decision to go entirely the route of Trophy, Iron Fist is still being tested by them and we may see a system that comes out that has both technologies implemented. Russian and Ukraine have tried like hell to sell Shtora to China and India and both countries have walked away disappointed, it does not work as advertised.

Back