Troopergate report released .....

Chief Bones

Forums Grumpy Old Man
The report is out and the report concludes that Palin DID abuse her powers ... but, the firing of certain people 'might' have been legal.

http://download2.legis.state.ak.us/DOWNLOAD.pdf

Looks like the McCain/Palin team might well have just received a stake through the heart. Not only is the ticket trailing by double digits in just about every poll, but now comes the report that places Palin in a (at a minimum), questionable position as far as her honesty and ability to honorably fill any office, let alone the Office of Vice President.

It's also top news on MSNBC now...

g-cvr-081009-palin-927p.hmedium.jpg

Ethics investigation finds Palin abused power

Legislative committee releases investigation into firing of public official

BREAKING NEWS
msnbc.com news services
updated 28 minutes ago

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Sarah Palin unlawfully abused her power as governor by trying to have her former brother-in-law fired as a state trooper, the chief investigator of an Alaska legislative panel concluded Friday. The politically charged inquiry imperiled her reputation as a reformer on John McCain's Republican ticket.

Investigator Stephen Branchflower, in a report by a bipartisan panel that investigated the matter, found Palin in violation of a state ethics law that prohibits public officials from using their office for personal gain.

The inquiry looked into her dismissal of Public Safety Commissioner Walter Monegan, who said he lost his job because he resisted pressure to fire a state trooper involved in a bitter divorce with the governor's sister. Palin says Monegan was fired as part of a legitimate budget dispute.
The panel found that Palin let the family grudge influence her decision-making even if it was not the sole reason Monegan was dismissed. "I feel vindicated," Monegan said. "It sounds like they've validated my belief and opinions. And that tells me I'm not totally out in left field."

Branchflower said Palin violated a statute of the Alaska Executive Branch Ethics Act.

Palin and McCain's supporters had hoped the inquiry's finding would be delayed until after the presidential election to spare her any embarrassment and to put aside an enduring distraction as she campaigns as McCain's running mate in an uphill contest against Democrat Barack Obama.

But the panel of lawmakers voted to release the report, although not without dissension.

"I think there are some problems in this report," said Republican state Sen. Gary Stevens, a member of the panel. "I would encourage people to be very cautious, to look at this with a jaundiced eye."

The nearly 300-page report does not recommend sanctions or a criminal investigation.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27105917/?GT1=43001

LOL! Bye bye bear fighting-Russia watching hockey mom, we'll miss you... Oh, and don't forget to take the grandpa' with ya. :D

The report prepared by liberals...........believe it if ya wanna. Palin's a great woman.
Suuuuure. Whenever some sweetheart Republican messes up, it's always a liberal's fault. But in this case, unfortunately, it's a BIPARTISAN PANEL (by the state legislature) that investigated this mess from the real law's perspective. Justice's been served. It's been officially PROVEN that Palin is a corrupt, grudge bearing, family-benefiting hockeymom that can't seperate government and personal issues or tell the difference between right and wrong. She shouldn't be doing politics at all, let alone being on a presidential ticket. You're a million times more qualified to be the VP than she will ever be, Sensei.

Edit: Now it's on CNN's headlines too. http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/10/palin.investigation/index.html

Last edited:
Think for yourself Lunatik, don't allow others to do it for ya or your going to just be a pawn until they no longer need or want ya. You don't have to believe me, you will see for yourself, in time.

Think for yourself Lunatik, don't allow others to do it for ya or your going to just be a pawn until they no longer need or want ya. You don't have to believe me, you will see for yourself, in time.

Says the guy repeating the "Obama is in bed with terrorists" line for 1000000000th time.

The report prepared by liberals...........believe it if ya wanna. Palin's a great woman.
Actually, Palin is kind...off. I think McCain picked a great candidate in the sense that she's a woman, but the more I hear from her the more I wish she'd just shut her mouth and smile.

I hope she didn't just screw the Rep vote totally with that move.

P.S. I wish she would finish annunciating her words. It drove me crazy while I was watching the VP debate.

Let's just remember her approval rating in Alaska as Gov is over 80% for a reason. Even if she is/was a total retard (which I don't believe she is), the citizens she Governs love her for a reason.

As an aside, the panel that did the investigation on this is a bipartisan council. Made up of Democrats and 10 Republicans.

Obviously its all a Democratic plot. /facepalm

Last edited:
Yep,... your prolly right. Just like Albert Pierpoint the hangman who described Irma Grese (The Beast of Auschwitz) as, "As bonny a lass as you'd wish to meet"

The spin stops here ....... the report is in .....

As an aside, the panel that did the investigation on this is a bipartisan council. Made up of 3 Democrats and 9 Republicans.

Obviously its all a Democratic plot. /facepalm
WNxR ...
You are off by two ... the panel was 10 Republicans and 4 Democrats ... AND ... the vote to continue the investigation was unanimous and the vote to publish the report (after redacting personnel information), was ALSO unanimous.

The spin stops here ....... the report is in ..... and it ain't no plot.
Where people are getting the thought that this is some big Democratic plot to get McCain/Palin is beyond me. The panel is bipartisan (10:4 Republican to be exact), so there is no way this is some Democratic plot. What makes this even more ridiculous, is the fact that the investigation was started almost two months before McCain even considered Palin as a running mate ... let alone selected her.

This could be the stake through the heart for any possibility that McCain will be elected.

25 days and counting ... and ... only time will tell how this one plays out - so far it don't look good no matter which way you spin this story.

Thanks for that advice, Aiki.

This is interesting. According to The New York Times, the investigation started SEVERAL WEEKS BEFORE she was named as a VP candidate. So, I think we can safely scratch the idea that the whole thing was politically motivated.

It's only justice. :shoothea:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/11/us/politics/11trooper.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Actually I think it is politically motivated, its just not coming from the Democrats or Obama for the reasons already stated. Are the Dems enjoying the fireworks? Goshdarnit You betcha! But Alaska is overwhelming GOP so there MUST be more to this story than just partisanship.

Palin has a reputation of being a bully, some Alaska Journalist called her a female version of Dick Cheney. She rewards those who blindly follow her, and punishes those who disagree with her. The Troopergate case is only ONE such example.

Needless to say she has made A LOT of enemies in ALASKA politics, especially some rather powerful people in her own party. People like Ted Stevens whom I am sure has not forgotten how she left him holding the bag on the Bridges to Nowhere scandal.

I think there are a lot of people in Alaska GOP politics who would pay good money to see Palin take a fall.

This should speak volumes about her unsuitability as VP.

Oddly enough this is something I don't quite understand either how does an investigation of a Republican Governor get off the ground in such a heavily Republican controlled state, I am certain that if they wanted to they could have stopped or at least delayed it if they had wanted to.

However I have a question what is the relationship between Monegan and Branchflower as I am a little surprised there is not a conflict of interest in this.

I once heard a story about a politician without enemies, but I just cannot recall the name.

I also once heard a story about a politician with plenty of enemies, but my peers told me to hush up.:p

And BTW, TOG tells us:- Yeah, whatever. It's all a witch hunt. :roll:

Well, what do you call what has been conducted here on our own boards since the announcement of Palin's candidature? A desperate witch-hunt if ever I saw one , viewed from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Well, what do you call what has been conducted here on our own boards since the announcement of Palin's candidature? A desperate witch-hunt if ever I saw one , viewed from the sidelines.

But did that "Witch-hunt" start even before Palin was chosen as the VP pick?

Say what you want about Palin she is the only conservitive close to the White House in nearly 20 years. Bush 1 = liberal, Bush 2 extremely liberal, Clinton Liberal twice! The liberal ajenda has been advanced for years. Maybe in 2012 we can run Palin for the white house? I hope she takes the next 4 years and learns more about politics than Sean Hannity or Rush Limbaugh teach on the radio.

Back