Trip to Florida. 56k death by suicide. Text and pictures galore

AZ_Infantry

This was an awesome trip. No issues checking my firearm at all: Simple unlock, show the clear chamber, re-lock, and away we go. I’ve never flown with a firearm, and with the TSA horror stories floating around out there I was almost certain I’d get the one idiot at the counter that would give me a hard time about it.

I left Phoenix on the 3rd, flew into Atlanta for a bit of a layover, then off to Ft. Myers, Florida. Just to let you all know, never fly through Atlanta if you can possibly avoid it. The tram trains are packed and it takes 20 minutes to get from one gate to the next for your flight out. That place is a city unto itself. I hated it, especially trying to walk that far on this leg – the concourses go on forever, and there are no automatic sidewalks. Maybe it’s not so bad if you know the airport well, but for layovers it is a real pain. If you have trouble walking, like I do, pack LOTS of Advil.

Laurie (Tropical Montana) picked me up at the airport with a hug – and a rose and a card on the front seat of her truck [giddy smile]. She is so sweet. I hadn’t slept in about two days so my senses were a bit dull, but it was immediately evident the differences in weather and climate: The air was so clear… No pollution, whereas Phoenix is just one pollution cloud after another. I could breathe! And it’s humid. But it wasn’t oppressive in any sense of the word, just comfortable enough to lounge in the back yard, which was the majority of my time there. It smells fresh and clean.

Picture this…

0800 in Florida (that’s 8 AM)… 80 degrees… sun is shining… sitting on the back patio drinking an ice cold Corona… lazy music in the background… beautiful woman doing Yoga next to you… nothing at all on your mind but the sunshine…

I swear, if you’d have told me I was to die at that moment I’d have gone happily. It really was the closest thing to paradise I’ve experienced. It was atonement.

That was the majority of my time in Florida. That and going on picnics at the local park where we fed the seagulls and found cool oyster shells and just sat and talked the afternoon away. We didn’t even claw each others’ eyes out, which we were pretty sure would happen given our completely opposite political stances, lol. As it turns out, we’re both Libertarians, so it was cool to look at things from her side of the fence (left) compared to my far right side.

Now, for those of you that know Laurie from the boards, I have to say this:

She both IS and is NOT who she seems. She is witty and bright and passionate in her beliefs. She is also extremely intelligent and always willing to listen to the other side of things to consider objectiveness and the idea that she may be right or wrong. But, like me, she isn’t about right or wrong, she’s about the journey that makes it all worth it, those 4-hour conversations about things over a cold beer and mutual respect. And she is amazingly deep. She is the type of person that examines anything down to its deepest core just because it is fun to do so – but when it comes down to it, it is ‘to each his or her own’. Amazingly complex. And when you render deep and complex with intelligent, experienced and witting, you find a person that is an absolute joy to talk to about anything. From God to the military to politics to plants in her garden (which is just magnificent in itself, even for a non-plant carer-about-er like myself). The passion and depth makes the subject, not the other way around.

She opened her home to me and made me feel totally at ease and as if I lived there, too. I honestly have no words to describe how comfortable I was there. It was the perfect blend of all the worlds: My feeling of being home, her companionship, yet the thrill of being somewhere new. I hate repetition, but amazing is really the only adjective I have to describe it.

I was supposed to fly back Wednesday, but after discussing it I extended my stay one more full day and flew back 1800 (6 PM) Thursday. I’m very glad I did. I’m still reeling.

[FONT=&quot]In all, I have to say that I am thankful to her for allowing me to enjoy such a wonderful time. I loved every moment! So thank you, Laurie, and see you in 2 weeks! [/FONT]

PICTURES!

OK, lounging on the back patio, 0800, ice cold Corona in hand, Nora Jones playing in the background, and watching Yoga. I have a new respect for Yoga [smile]

PICT1540.jpg

PICT1538.jpg

PICT1568.jpg

PICT1571.jpg

Laurie:

PICT1580.jpg

Then we went to the park, which is actually a bay, and fed the seagulls. That was cool!

Laurie feeding them flying in:

PICT1598.jpg

They would actually snatch the bread out of your hand in the air, which just struck me as neat:

PICT1593.jpg

PICT1592.jpg

And this one just sat and stared but never left:

PICT1595.jpg

Me feeding them:

IMG_0493.jpg

Got this one up close, tried my hand at photography:

PICT1554.jpg

Our picnic spot (sorry for the crappy quality – I said I TRIED my hand at photography, not that I was any good at it):

PICT1555.jpg

Then we barbequed dinner. Steak, corn on the cob, taters, onion, and wine. I got her drunk, LOL. That’s a story in and of itself.

PICT1564.jpg

The Table

PICT1565.jpg

PICT1566.jpg

And us at the airport. Give me a break, I was exhausted. The bags under my eyes aren’t normally there, obviously.

PICT1609.jpg

Laurieandme1.jpg

Sunset over Ft Myers at 27,000 feet:

PICT1613.jpg

Leaving Atlanta:

PICT1621.jpg

Wow dude!
I'm glad you had a good time.
It was the long holiday over here so I was unable to mail some of the souvenirs I promised you but once my damn fever is over I'll go mail it. It's nothing much... just some stuff to stick onto the fridge or car.
Nice haircut. I should cut mine as well. But I'm sick. I guess working out and running at sub freezing temperatures without thick clothing on isn't very smart.
That is one attractive lady. And the fact that she's attractive and nice ... how hard is that to find these days?
So any plans on moving to Florida?

Wow dude!
I'm glad you had a good time.
It was the long holiday over here so I was unable to mail some of the souvenirs I promised you but once my damn fever is over I'll go mail it. It's nothing much... just some stuff to stick onto the fridge or car.
Nice haircut. I should cut mine as well. But I'm sick. I guess working out and running at sub freezing temperatures without thick clothing on isn't very smart.
That is one attractive lady. And the fact that she's attractive and nice ... how hard is that to find these days?
So any plans on moving to Florida?

I'm moving there, yes. We are engaged. I already have my paperwork in to the VA for transfer plus the recruiter there for ARNG will call me tomorrow to re-sign. Job is in the bank, just have to wait for this contract here to expire.

She is beautiful, yes. Way more so than I deserve. But I accept God's hand where He lays it. I am blessed.

I have finally found the peace we discussed. I guess He smiles on even us :)

WOW!!!!
Seams you made a good catch!!!
I´m really happy for you!!!

Atlanta Airport is a real pain :cen:!!!
I had to fly through Atlanta too when I went to Columbia. It was horrible!!! But its even worse if you have to go through Customs and Border Protection!!! When I flew in from Germany I should had 2 hours layover in Atlanta, so I was planning to get something to eat. But after waiting sooooooooooooooo long at Customs and Border Protection and after all the security checks I had to run to my plane. I was happy about the tram trains otherwise I wouldn´t been able to make it to my plane. My plane should leave Atlanta at 08.05 and I board the plane at 08.05 exhausted, starving, thirsty and I had to go to the bathroom for the last 1.5 hours. So after the captian told us that there will be no service on board because of the only 40 minutes flight I was kinda pissed, but at least I could go to the bathroom after the take off. I arrived in Columbia, but my suitcase didn´t. They lost my suitcase ( and the ones of 15-20 more people) somewhere in Atlanta. Thank God that my friend and his wife brought two ice cold Bitburger beers for me to the Airport. LIFESAVER!!! They delivered my suitcase the next day so I had the christmas gifts for the kids and the rest of the family.

JOKER

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pics. Sounds like you had a good time!

Atlanta Airport is a real pain :cens:!!!

I actually don't mind Atlanta. I always make my flights three to four hours apart to be safe and it's usually in and out there for me...uh, minus the waiting time.

(And I don't like the trams there. When they are crowded I have to hold onto the top holders and the first time I was on there I just about fell on my butt when it took off, they are too high!)

I've only had one problem at at airport, in Bradenton/Sarasota I was told I cannot take my Pilate's weights with me...(even though he let me take them home :D, he said not to put them in a carry on again).

Last edited by a moderator:
You're a fortunate man AZ_Infantry, but then again it looks like Laurie hasn't done too badly for herself either.

I wish you both every happiness.

And I don't like the trams there. When they are crowded I have to hold onto the top holders
Actually the Trams where the only thing there that was not crowded when I was on that Airport. Without the trams I would been f:cens:ed cause I had to go from gate E to gate B/24. That was a 6 or 7 minutes ride with that fast moving thing. It would had take me hours to get my big lazy a:cens: to that gate by foot.
OK, it was the 23rd of December when I came into the States and of course a lot of people take a flight to their loved ones, but this place was PACKED!!!

Joker

Back