Trick or treat

senojekips

An ex-Navy mate was having a bit of a grizzle to me today about the way American traditions like "Trick or Treating" on 31st October, are changing us Aussies into pseudo Yanks.

He lives in a densely populated northern NSW coastal town where he says this habit is becoming "a pain in the bum" so, not having a lot to do on the day previous to the event, he went down to the local supermarket and bought few dozen white onions and a bundle of wooden skewers. He then went home and made up a batch of red toffee and made up some "Magic Spell Toffee Apples".

Well, they did say "Trick or Treat", and he's already busy planning what to do for next year.

Now I'm starting to think that maybe this is a tradition, that might be worthwhile, well, at least for Halloween.

The bloke was, would you believe it,.... a bloody Bandsman of all things, I didn't think that he had it in him, I might have to see if he can be made into an honorary Stoker....

Last edited:
Maybe next year he should incorporate red pepper seeds and English Mustard and what really is disgusting are raw olives before they are cooked. They are so bitter they make your tongue curl and the taste remains for hours..

I'll bet ten quid to a pound of dog poo they don't come back again.

I have to agree, this US practice,has turned 31/10, into a force working day, here in London.
It was never practiced when I was a kid.
Can we not keep our own traditions going.
Like ducking stools,witch burning and Birching the little blighters.

I think myself lucky that I live out in the sticks, with my nearest neighbour being 1 mile away so no one visits Capt Frogman towers. :D

I did however put this at the end of my drive just in case... :lol:

gXcxo.jpg

An ex-Navy mate was having a bit of a grizzle to me today about the way American traditions like "Trick or Treating" on 31st October, are changing us Aussies into pseudo Yanks.

He lives in a densely populated northern NSW coastal town where he says this habit is becoming "a pain in the bum" so, not having a lot to do on the day previous to the event, he went down to the local supermarket and bought few dozen white onions and a bundle of wooden skewers. He then went home and made up a batch of red toffee and made up some "Magic Spell Toffee Apples".

Well, they did say "Trick or Treat", and he's already busy planning what to do for next year.

Now I'm starting to think that maybe this is a tradition, that might be worthwhile, well, at least for Halloween.

The bloke was, would you believe it,.... a bloody Bandsman of all things, I didn't think that he had it in him, I might have to see if he can be made into an honorary Stoker....

Ooooohhh, tell me about it...

Here in Singapore, Halloween is catching on with the youngsters... I very much doubt these understand the significance of this event other than what they've read or were told about.

The older generation, they are rather peeved about the whole thing- in particular, the Chinese community. These older folks are lamenting that the younger fellas are more aware of this event than thier own 7th Month celebrations/ prayers (aka the Ghost Month).

I take it like it is just another fad- neither approve nor condone the whole thing. Thank God, my kids are way too grown up to do this sort of thing...

Ooooohhh, tell me about it...

Here in Singapore, Halloween is catching on with the youngsters... I very much doubt these understand the significance of this event other than what they've read or were told about.

The older generation, they are rather peeved about the whole thing- in particular, the Chinese community. These older folks are lamenting that the younger fellas are more aware of this event than thier own 7th Month celebrations/ prayers (aka the Ghost Month).

I take it like it is just another fad- neither approve nor condone the whole thing. Thank God, my kids are way too grown up to do this sort of thing...
I can sympathise with that, soon the world will all become vanilla flavoured and there will be no cultural diversity at all.

I guess it will make going on holidays overseas redundant though, we can just stay home and soak up the atmosphere.

Back