Tribute to Pat Tillman.

What I respect most about him is that not only did he join the military and die for our country, but he gave up millions a year from the nfl to do so. :salute2:

well, i wish there was something deep and profound i could say, but i think my avatar says it better than i ever could. and may God rest his soul.

Bump -- CNN is reporting today (04 MAR 2006) that the Army's Criminal Investigation Division has been ordered by the Inspector General's office to conduct a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death.

AJChenMPH said:
Bump -- CNN is reporting today (04 MAR 2006) that the Army's Criminal Investigation Division has been ordered by the Inspector General's office to conduct a criminal investigation into the circumstances surrounding his death.

All I can say to this is, :cen: :cen: :cen: !

Thank you.

AJChenMPH said:
I realize that there are friendly fire deaths in almost every war and it is very sad whenever it happens. What is being looked at is whether there was more to meet the eye than just a 'friendly fire' accident.

For instance, if the person who shot Tillman saw that he was wearing a US Military uniform and still shot at him then criminal charges would NOT be out of line. There are some reports coming out of the investigations that are disturbing to the investigators who think that further delving into the facts are warranted and the IG has directed the CID to follow up the investigations and report back with their findings. It is a sad commentary on the bravery and performance of our military that this investigation was deemed necessary ... but ... Tillman's life and death deserve the truth and nothing but the truth.

[rant]

Nothing about this investigation has to do with justice, or anything else. It is being done because of who Tillman was before he became a Ranger and public pressure from the media. The military made a bad decision to try and cover up the blue on blue when it happened, and now they're trying to cover their butts.

That's all this is about, and they're going to end up hanging up an innocent Ranger or two just to appease the armchair know it alls.

I didn't see an investigation into the deaths of Stan Harriman, Jeff Davis, Dan Pethitory, or Cody Prosser, all killed by friendly fire. But then, they weren't former NFL players.

Grrrrrr!
[/rant]

Last edited:
PJ24 said:
[rant]

Nothing about this investigation has to do with justice, or anything else. It is being done because of who Tillman was before he became a Ranger and public pressure from the media. The military made a bad decision to try and cover up the blue on blue when it happened, and now they're trying to cover their butts.

That's all this is about, and they're going to end up hanging up an innocent Ranger or two just to appease the armchair know it alls.

I didn't see an investigation into the deaths of Stan Harriman, Jeff Davis, Dan Pethitory, or Cody Prosser, all killed by friendly fire. But then, they weren't former NFL players.

Grrrrrr!
[/rant]
A question ........ Does it really matter why this is being done? Some of the facts that were uncovered from previous investigations raised some questions and the Inspector General decided that further investigation was warranted and necessary.

I'll grant you, the reason it was so widely splashed by the media was because of who Tillman was .... after all, it's not every day that someone turns down a multimillion dollar contract to go to war ... but ... that doesn't change the facts ... questions were raised which need to be answered.

Isn't it better to have an investigation to uncover the truth than to sweep it under the rug.

Last edited:
Folks,

The reason everyone is upset about the Tillman death is the the commander US forces in Afghanistan issued the press release stating he had died bravely assaulting a Taliban postion "after" he knew that he had died as a result of friendly-fire. This is what upset his parents the most and caused that letter to the editor. Not that he died in combat. But that they had used his death to help President Bush out in the up coming election.

Jack E. Hammond

I agree with PJ. There were others involved than Tillman. The only reason it is such a big media deal is because of Tillman. Had it been anyone else I doubt we would have heard more than a tiny blip on media radar.

This is just another excuse by some of the powers that be to rant and rave and get their ratings up.

Chief Bones said:
A question ........ Does it really matter why this is being done? Some of the facts that were uncovered from previous investigations raised some questions and the Inspector General decided that further investigation was warranted and necessary.
Isn't it better to have an investigation to uncover the truth than to sweep it under the rug.

It certainly matters "why," especially when the "why" has less to do with facts and more to do with "CYA" by the uppers and media appeasement.

I guess we should respect the family's wish here. The family of Tillman wants to have this serious investigation because the military has not given the family a clear and consistent explanation of what caused Tillman's death.

Yeah, that's all nice and dandy but if he wasn't Pat Tillman they would tell his family to get stuffed, as they have done to countless others.

en..I think it is an isolated case, usually U.S military will give a clear explanation for the cause of death, but this one comes with a lot of confusion.

jackehammond said:
The reason everyone is upset about the Tillman death is the commander US forces in Afghanistan issued the press release stating he had died bravely assaulting a Taliban postion "after" he knew that he had died as a result of friendly-fire. This is what upset his parents the most and caused that letter to the editor. Not that he died in combat. But that they had used his death to help President Bush out in the up coming election.
The part about Bush pisses me off ...but ... it doesn't change my view (see last post).

Questions were brought to the IG's attention and instead of sweeping it under the carpet he directed the CID to check out the circumstances and file a final report to clear up any misunderstanding (or) confusion.

Irregardless of 'who' he was, I feel this is the least we can do for one of our own ... don't you?

Back