Traveling abroad.

Kesse81

Banned
Most Europeans that I know has traveled widely in the World and by that I mean outside Europe.
But most Americans I have had contact with have never been outside the US - why ?, Is it too expensive to travel outside of the US or is it because of the distance to the other countries?

Most Europeans that I know has traveled widely in the World and by that I mean outside Europe.
But most Americans I have had contact with have never been outside the US - why ?, Is it too expensive to travel outside of the US or is it because of the distance to the other countries?

I have asked Americans that question too and the reply was; "we don't need to leave the US for vacations, we have Florida in the east and California/Hawaii in the west". If they want to hunt/fish/hike they have Alaska and the Rockies. United States is so big that I don't view it as a country, it's a continent with almost all climates

When I travel, my purpose is to experience other cultures and see historical sites.

What the US may lacking when it comes to cultural sites (palaces, ruins, art etc) they compensate it with having an astonishing nature. Their national parks are amazing. The Scab Lands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Denali, and many others.

When I travel, my purpose is to experience other cultures and see historical sites.

I think this is the difference between us and the US, my primary reason for travel is exactly the same as you to meet other people, learn about their culture and history where as the wife has less interest in that aspect and travels for totally different reasons that I can't quite understand.

So while I like going to more adventurous parts of the world to see odd things like Petra, Machu Picchu, Halong Bay or Angkor Wat she is happier in a resort and visiting museums and malls in capital cities.

I really think it is a different set of priorities that divide us.

What the US may lacking when it comes to cultural sites (palaces, ruins, art etc) they compensate it with having an astonishing nature. Their national parks are amazing. The Scab Lands, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Denali, and many others.

I completely agree, the national parks, museums and general tourist locations around the USA are second to none in their amenities and access which does reduce the need or perhaps desire to leave the country and given that it is a huge country with diverse climate there is something for everyone which can also reduce the hassles of international travel.

Last edited:
We travelled to Alaska so our kids could see snow, India so they could experience a true culture shock, Connecticut for Halloween, Dallas was different, Aruba for turtles, Costa Rica for the Sloths, Panama just to see a ship go through the canal, Done New York loved the old buildings, Washington and a few places in Florida, San Francisco was amazing and not what i expected, have done Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Kuala Lumper, Singapore, and NZ and London, Switzerland, Austria and Bavaria all very pretty, Vancouver was cold. Plenty of other countries not mentioned. My eldest son took his first steps in as Vegas.
I think part of travel is the interaction with local people, being in Russia and trying to be understood is fun, Tokyo very clean and safe and once again being understood was hit and miss however so enjoyable.

However at the end of the day nothing is better than flying home. If you ever get to LA Zoo go to the kangaroo exhibit as this reminded us of home the smell of eucalyptus is Australia. There we were in a foreign land and it smelt of home that will always stay with me.

I have asked Americans that question too and the reply was; "we don't need to leave the US for vacations, we have Florida in the east and California/Hawaii in the west". If they want to hunt/fish/hike they have Alaska and the Rockies. United States is so big that I don't view it as a country, it's a continent with almost all climates

I agree with 13, I travel to see the wonders of the natural world in the US and Canada. This summer we re going to sub-artic Canada again a wonderful place. Although I've found Italy and Germany to be wonderful places for holiday especially the food.

Castle and ruins speak for themselves but people are pretty much the same everywhere with the same issues in their daily life trying to make ends meet .

Not sure I agree, while peoples aspirations are the same the world over (mainly to make it through the day, put food on the table etc.) peoples priorities vary from country to country.

Germany's views on the world are different to Australians which are different to Americans which are different to New Zealanders etc. etc. so the more you travel the more you are exposed to those views and the more balanced yours become as a result.

Most people I talk to about traveling abroad refer to both the distance and the expense of traveling as reasons why they prefer to do their traveling domestically.
But, many also don't see any need to go overseas when there is so much to see here in the States. My younger brother is a prime example. He is retired and his wife inherited a boatload of money so neither excuse applies to them. They're just content doing their Florida and Hawaii vacations every year. They went to Mexico one time and now consider themselves well-traveled.
Fortunately, my wife and I are exceptions to the rule. We are currently planning our 8th trip to Europe. But, even we have to ration the big trips out. Airfare can be a budget-killer.

Back