Transplant Hurdles

pixiedustboo

Redfidelboo
Medical Marijuana Patients Face Transplant Hurdles

This is something that is close to home for me. My aunt, had a liver transplant October 2006. To stay on the list one has to be VERY aware of things they put into their body. There were cough medicines that if my aunt took and had blood work done (that they can call for at any time) alcohol would show up on the toxin screening and she would be forever taken off the list.

I am in no way, shape or form a supporter of marijuana, but if this man had a consent from a doctor to use it for medical purposes I think it's insane that he would be taken off the list for a transplant.

I hope he's able to be put on the list.

Last edited:
I'm confused.
His use was legal, wasn't it? Why are they using that against him?

Who knows.

The transplant stuff is a major headache.

They don't want to give a very much needed part to someone who will not take care of it and not use it to their benefit. However, in this case I agree with you. If he was told it was okay by a doctor they shouldn't even consider taking him off the list - as long as he doesn't have any other toxins in his body. (Not to mention it says that the use of marijuana does not damage the liver).

In my opinion as long as the person is clean how will they know if they really will take care of the liver and live a long life? (After all, that is why they are so picky about the ones the choose). Since 2006 my aunt has lost a ton of weight, is back to working and feels better than she has in over 10 years. She is very reverent about the person that died and wants to due their memory honor by taking care of herself.

However yesterday she got a call from the hospital from her last check-up and she has breast cancer.

So really, one can never tell what will happen from year to year. Like I said, if the man has no other toxins in his body he should NOT be taken off the list.

Back