Tradition of the RMC chin strap

AussieNick

Forum Digger
MilSlouch.jpg

The buckle on the Australian slouch hat chin strap is normally worn on the left hand side, but soldiers at RMC (Royal Military College Duntroon) wear it on the right hand side. Why? Because a Duntroon major was shot at Galipolli, with his hat on backwards, thus making the buckle the wrong way around. As a dedication to him, all other RMC officers started to wear the hat the right way, but the buckle on the wrong side. The tradition has remained, and causes much confusion for soldiers unaware of it.

Aussienick....I was always lead to understand that the hat was folded up on that side because that was the side they carried the rifles at the slope. If it folded on the other side then they would knock there hats askew every time they shouldered arms.

no no no ...he meant the chin strap buckle... not the actual hat itself. You are right about the reason for the hat, but the story above relates to the chin strap. :cowb:

REDLEG - we need a slouch hat smiley/icon please mate

Slouch hat

I managed to get hold of a genuine Aussie slouch hat, I wear it as my bush hat. Brilliant bit of kit.

Back