TradeMe's DIY Private army

Kiwi

Forum Lubrication Engineer
TradeMe's DIY private army

12:00PM Friday October 19, 2007
By Matt Greenop

sight.jpg

Need night vision capabilities? Online auctions can help out at only $1200 for this high-spec scope.

Since police raids uncovered alleged paramilitary training camps tucked away in the Ureweras, online marketplaces like TradeMe have come under the microscope for the easy access they provide to militaristic equipment.
Police used records from online auctions for purchases of military-style goods while getting searching warrants for houses raided in the sweeping national operation.
But just how hard is it for a megalomaniacal wannabe general to equip a private army by just logging on to the internet?
Not very, it would seem.
Getting the look right isn't hard - an army day pack can be yours for all of $30 and you can pick up army surplus canteens and mess kits by the dozen.
A full American set of camouflage gear, unworn and well-suited to New Zealand bush was listed on TradeMe with a buy now price of just $105.
It can get a bit chilly in the Ureweras, so once again the US army can answer your needs with a sleeping bag which, according to the seller, was developed after American troops discovered that Europe was too cold in WW2.
Chest webbing - again genuine army issue - is a cheap way of completing the look for under $100.
A pair of size 9 Australian army boots again at the magic $100 mark are perfect for keeping most types of Antipodean foot warm.
Then there's the serious stuff - GPS units are in abundance, as are compasses for those wanting an authentic freedom fighter feel.
GPS, obviously, is far more accurate, but flares and protein bars are available for the old school revolutionaries just in case orienteering skills aren't as sharp as they should be.
The sports equipment section is the place to go for climbing equipment and even a parachute or hang glider for those who feel like exploring their inner Bond.
Gun City's listing are where the serious business starts.
There are weapons for sale, but only of the sporting variety and only to those who have got the right paperwork.
A Clayton's approach comes in the form of realistic-looking BB guns and soft air guns - but these aren't going to work effectively in the real world, and waving one around will attract the same Police charges as the genuine article.
You can, however, pick up gems like bayonets to fit the FR7, FR8 Spanish Mausers and the Cetme assault rifles.
A silencer will only set you back a modest $35-$40.
But if you are already armed, online auctions can furnish would-be warmongers with a nightvision scope (pictured) to add to the arsenal.
The American Technologies Network Aries MK330 Warrior is, according to the spiel "an affordable, high quality 1st. generation weapon sight."
"It sports features such as a new super fast front lens system for optimal brightness, easy push button operation and a reticle brightness adjustment.
"The Warrior also comes with our new detachable, most powerful in the industry 450mw Infrared Illuminator with dedicated windage and elevation adjustments."
Sold? All yours for a shade under $1200.
If you're from a well-funded militant organisation, you can take the next step, and fork out a huge $16,998 for military-spec NVG7-XR5 night vision goggles - but if the budget doesn't stretch that far, there's always lay-by.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10470469

Now with all this Maori kil kill the whites stuff, don't you think Trade Me would not be having this stuff up for any nutter to buy :sarc:

Now with all this Maori kil kill the whites stuff, don't you think Trade Me would not be having this stuff up for any nutter to buy :sarc:

Why?
Nothing in that list is illegal, in fact many hikers purchase a lot of the clothing as it is well suited to the conditions.

Interestingly enough the only guy reported as saying he was planning to "kill whites" was whiter than me although to be fair I am not even sure he said he was planning to kill whites.

Once again I think this is a storm in a teacup with a lot of vested interests jumping on the bandwagon to make it worse, just wait and see what the courts have to say in the next week or two.

Last edited:
Why?
Nothing in that list is illegal, in fact many hikers purchase a lot of the clothing as it is well suited to the conditions.

Interestingly enough the only guy reported as saying he was planning to "kill whites" was whiter than me although to be fair I am not even sure he said he was planning to kill whites.

Once again I think this is a storm in a teacup with a lot of vested interests jumping on the bandwagon to make it worse, just wait and se what the courts have to say in the next week or two.

Really hmmm I have heard the kill whites thing for 20 years mate. Like claiming fishing rights the Basin Reserve anything they can get their grabby little mits onto.

Being classed as a second class citizen, having to learn a dead language.

Denile is great, but we all know the truth.

maori is hardly a dead language, some (silly them) are proud of their heritage.

hell, I'M proud of it, because of am a new zelander, and the Maori culture has contributed to all aspects of todays NZ.

treat the loons for what they are, loons....but no need to write off an entire cultre because of them

yes yes :bored:

Oh silly me, once again crying VICTIM.

comment removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Really hmmm I have heard the kill whites thing for 20 years mate. Like claiming fishing rights the Basin Reserve anything they can get their grabby little mits onto.

I agree partially, sadly though the problem of ludicrous claims is not the fault of Maori but more the fault of successive governments creating the conditions that allow for these claims to be placed.
Lets face it if the government tomorrow allowed you to claim large chunks of the country wouldn't you jump at the chance?

I am a huge fan of equality but in order to achieve that we have to abandon the multi-ethnic racial clap trap and and treat everyone the same, a persons culture and heritage are things the family should teach not the government.

Being classed as a second class citizen, having to learn a dead language.
Weird I have never felt like a "second class citizen" and I chose to learn German and Latin at school so I was certainly never required to speak a dead language I chose it on my own (Latin).

Denile is great, but we all know the truth.

Truth is as much perception and faith as anything else its only as accurate as the initial information therefore your version of the truth may not be the same as anyone elses.

Alot of that "military gear" has a myriad of other non-militant uses. GPS and Compass are a dime a dozen. As for the night vision gear I'm sure with a little looking they could find it cheaper.

I agree partially, sadly though the problem of ludicrous claims is not the fault of Maori but more the fault of successive governments creating the conditions that allow for these claims to be placed.
Lets face it if the government tomorrow allowed you to claim large chunks of the country wouldn't you jump at the chance?

I am a huge fan of equality but in order to achieve that we have to abandon the multi-ethnic racial clap trap and and treat everyone the same, a persons culture and heritage are things the family should teach not the government.

Weird I have never felt like a "second class citizen" and I chose to learn German and Latin at school so I was certainly never required to speak a dead language I chose it on my own (Latin).

Truth is as much perception and faith as anything else its only as accurate as the initial information therefore your version of the truth may not be the same as anyone elses.

Yes what ever. I am not going down that road, this is not Stormfront.

The fact remains thats there military equipment being sold on the net, the New Zealand police got the list off that of the terrorists and nicked them.

New Zealand coppers don't go in blind and they did a great job.

Trade me needs to rethink what they sell on the net.

Last edited:
Yes but so what, its not illegal to sell or buy items on Trademe, its not illegal to sell fire arms on trademe as only the purchaser needs a license to buy.

Also has anyone actually been charged with terrorist related offenses?
I only recall firearms offenses but to be honest this isn't that big a priority for me so maybe I missed something.

As for whether the police have done a great job or not I will wait until after the trials, hopefully they have got it right but if they haven't I suspect there will be wholesale changes to police management and it will take take them years to recover especially given some of the giant **** ups they have made recently.

Well I personally don't care how many mistakes the police make(which in this case I believe they have made no mistake at all), as long as they stop any form of Terrorist attack from happening. Personally I quite happy if they had all shared the cell with Hicks.

If you play around in the watermellon patch, people are going to think you are a watermellon.

And I have Zero Tolerance for wanna be greenie do gooders, with a taste for firearms.

Lets all play nice together pfft thats where the Terrorists have the upper hand, do you really think they play by those rules.

Well I personally don't care how many mistakes the police make(which in this case I believe they have made no mistake at all), as long as they stop any form of Terrorist attack from happening. Personally I quite happy if they had all shared the cell with Hicks.

If you play around in the watermellon patch, people are going to think you are a watermellon.

And I have Zero Tolerance for wanna be greenie do gooders, with a taste for firearms.

Lets all play nice together pfft thats where the Terrorists have the upper hand, do you really think they play by those rules.

I can certainly see why you left the country, I would suggest that we probably all got what we wanted from that deal.

Wait a minute... am I reading this right?

They raided homes because people ordered LEGAL equipment?

Hello police state.

Its a strange scenario, for example I can put a firearm up for sale because I am a licensed owner but if the person I am selling it to is unlicensed I would be breaking the law.

However in this case (as I understand it and I could be wrong) the police had certain individuals under surveillance and noticed they were buying this equipment off the internet which when combined with evidence they had already gathered triggered a police reaction.

If you want to go down the terrorist path then think of it like this:
Police are watching certain people they believe to be "terrorists" but they don't have enough to arrest them until one day when they are observed buying box cutters and airline tickets then they decide to move.

Now buying box cutters and airline tickets are perfectly legal actions and in general may be perfectly harmless but the risk becomes too great to overlook when added to everything else.

Why were they on the Watch List?

You speak your mind on this Site, could the Government there place you on a Watch List for Post they may not like you making?... but still legal to make, I'll add.

Why were they on the Watch List?

You speak your mind on this Site, could the Government there place you on a Watch List for Post they may not like you making?... but still legal to make, I'll add.

Well the main guy is being watched because he is an idiot, lets face it if you run around releasing videos of yourself shooting the flag etc. then chances are you will make a watch list. The others I suspect are watched because of their association with him.

As far as being on a Watch list myself well its possible I guess although I strongly doubt it would amount to much and would be an incredibly boring job for someone.

New Zealand is an odd country because we don't take our government or police too seriously we generally vote governments out of power rather than into power and the police do their job and stay out of the way for the most part.

These guys will no doubt be in public court later this week or next week and it will all be sorted out then.

Well, let’s hope that they do not get bored, and move to 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th tier rabble rousers.

If everyone in the US who has burned a Flag, was then deemed by the Government no longer allowed to own a Firearm because of it, well I believe such would be viewed as punishment by the taking of Constitutionally protected rights before conviction, or even charge of any crime.

Well, let’s hope that they do not get bored, and move to 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th tier rabble rousers.

If everyone in the US who has burned a Flag, was then deemed by the Government no longer allowed to own a Firearm because of it, well I believe such would be viewed as punishment by the taking of Constitutionally protected rights before conviction, or even charge of any crime.

Nah there is more to it than that but like I said it will all blow over pretty quick this is nothing special.

Basically the police have given a bunch of professional protestors something to whine about I would be very surprised if this event isn't forgotten by the end of the month.

Although I am planning to do some hunting this week so you never know.

Last edited:
I can certainly see why you left the country, I would suggest that we probably all got what we wanted from that deal.
I was forced out because of these removed

I am not BLACK thats one hell of a disavantage :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
With your delightful attitude I really find it hard to understand how that could be, was it the colour problem or did they have an issue with being considered "creatures"?

Back