Trade War




 
--
Boots
 
July 20th, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 

Topic: Trade War


We might face a trade war between the US and the rest of the world. What do you think about? Is it good or is it bad?
July 22nd, 2018  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
We might face a trade war between the US and the rest of the world. What do you think about? Is it good or is it bad?
Wasn't this the cause of the 1929 Wall Street crash and the depression?
July 22nd, 2018  
Capt Frogman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
We might face a trade war between the US and the rest of the world. What do you think about? Is it good or is it bad?
America needs the rest of the world more than they need America.

Watch their economy collapse.
--
Boots
July 23rd, 2018  
I3BrigPvSk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Wasn't this the cause of the 1929 Wall Street crash and the depression?

Not really. countries were lesser dependent on each other prior the crash. They were trading with each other, but not like how they do it today when almost all countries are a part of the global economy.

The recession in 2008-2009 reminds a little of the depression in 1929 when the banks began to crumbling down. They were saved by the govt around the world. The govt didn't do that in 1929. Roosevelt administration responded to the depression with "The New Deal". Projects to build up the infrastructure, the US got the Hoover Dam as a result of the depression.
July 24th, 2018  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Wasn't this the cause of the 1929 Wall Street crash and the depression?
No. the primary cause was an inexperienced Federal Reserve Board that strangled the economy fighting the post WWI Inflation. the trade Wars caused by Smoot-Hawley made it worse, and the Stock Market crash was a result of "Margin" buying that pushed the Market higher than it should have gone and then magnified the down turn in to a rout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
Roosevelt administration responded to the depression with "The New Deal". Projects to build up the infrastructure, the US got the Hoover Dam as a result of the depression.
"Life support" at best, only saved by the economic impact of WWII.
July 24th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by I3BrigPvSk
We might face a trade war between the US and the rest of the world. What do you think about? Is it good or is it bad?
Depends on who's side you look at it from.
From the American side it should be worrying as they are going to be forced into relying on their domestic market to make their industry viable, for the rest of us there are few negatives as we can carry on working on free trade deals with each other and the excess production from a closed US market should lower the price for the rest of us.
July 24th, 2018  
George
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
and the excess production from a closed US market should lower the price for the rest of us.
Briefly, then industry will adjust production & the lower production increases cost per unit. Back in the 70s the US limited the number of Japanese cars that could be imported. As a result they sent more expensive units & the domestic car companies could have sold more cars at the same price they had been selling at but chose to raise prices. The higher prices of cars caused an increase in profit causing the UAW to demand higher wages. In the end we just payed more for cars do to reduced competition.
July 24th, 2018  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Briefly, then industry will adjust production & the lower production increases cost per unit. Back in the 70s the US limited the number of Japanese cars that could be imported. As a result they sent more expensive units & the domestic car companies could have sold more cars at the same price they had been selling at but chose to raise prices. The higher prices of cars caused an increase in profit causing the UAW to demand higher wages. In the end we just payed more for cars do to reduced competition.

In the long term that is partially correct prices will return to where they were once stockpiles are used up and production is adjusted to meet new sales numbers but in the short term it will be all smiles.


Further to that the US exports very little to the area (most of our imports in technology and machinery are Japanese, Chinese and Australian) and what it does export is usually in competition with us so for smaller economies who maintain maximum production seeing US products costing 25% more makes our industries very happy.


I suspect the two big losers from the US view point will be Automotive (Comercialand private vehicles) and Agricultural.
July 26th, 2018  
George
 
Trump may have gotten the EU to move towards zero tariffs.
July 26th, 2018  
Capt Frogman
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by George
Trump may have gotten the EU to move towards zero tariffs.
Or more like the EU got Trump to back down.
 


Similar Topics
Chomsky & War
Sometimes, Making Peace Means Making War
Misjudging War
Pearl Harbour one more lie?????
Why was WWII different than WWI?