Tougher Penalties for Posers Coming Soon!

82ndMechanic

Would toughen penalties for unauthorized wearing of medals

By John Hoellwarth
Times staff writer

Legislation introduced in the House of Representatives July 22 calls for stiffer penalties against those who pretend to rate military decorations they didn’t earn.
Rep. John Salazar, D-Colo., authored “The Stolen Valor Act of 2005,” an initiative he said would preserve the honor of military awards by giving authorities the ability to prosecute phonies.

The legislation would close a loophole in current law that allows fakers to avoid prosecution as long as they never physically wear the medal they claim to rate. The bill states that anyone who fraudulently claims, “verbally or in writing, to have been awarded any decoration or medal authorized by Congress,” will face fines, up to six months imprisonment or both. Fines would be raised and maximum prison terms doubled for those claiming to rate combat valor awards such as the Navy Cross or Silver Star.

“Our country is at war and our men and women are sacrificing,” Salazar said at a July 22 press conference on Capitol Hill. “For all the real heroes, there are hundreds of phonies who dishonor them.”

Salazar insisted “we need this legislation” to honor our country’s fighting men and women by preserving the integrity of the awards with which they are recognized.

This is good - I hate people who pretend they are someone that they really aren't. Douchebags...

Me too.. I hate people who act like someone they aren't. Pogues... Nothing makes me feel better and at the same time worse then outting someone who isn't who they say they are.

SEALs, SF, Ranger, MACV SOG, Snipers... theres a ton of them out there and all posting on message boards apparently...

82ndMechanic said:
Me too.. I hate people who act like someone they aren't. Pogues... Nothing makes me feel better and at the same time worse then outting someone who isn't who they say they are.

SEALs, SF, Ranger, MACV SOG, Snipers... theres a ton of them out there and all posting on message boards apparently...

I do not like the proposal, in that it is too broad. Joe Idiot should not be given the same penalty for pretending to be a war hero at his local bar to impress the girls as someone attempting to use claims of service and medals for profit or to obtain a job.

While I have no problems calling a fake a fake on the internet - they really aren't a huge concern for me. I am more interested in those attempting to take advantage of others and profit from they unearned 'valour' than the internet dink using cool guy creds to impress others.

The act needs to be more clearly defined, and it needs to focus on the big fish .. not the little inconsequential ones. The little fish generally fry themselves, I've found.

Another thing I do not care for is the bill is attempting to include manufacturers. There are many legitimate vendors out there who provide medals to collectors/museums.

I am 100% behind punishing those that would happily steal what was earned in sweat, blood and tears - but I also like clearly defined laws with not much wriggle room.

I saw this too and I think it's a great piece of legislation to combat frauds.
RnderSafe made a good point too. Obviously, the severity is a big difference betwen someone just trying to pick up grils at a bar and somebody lieing about there background to get a job.

Stolen Valor

What do you think about this?

http://www.homeofheroes.com/herobill/index.html

WASHINGTON, DC – Congressman John T. Salazar (CO-3), the only veteran from the Colorado delegation, today announced the introduction of the “Stolen Valor Act”, legislation to penalize distributors of phony medals and those who fraudulently claim to be decorated veterans. Salazar’s legislation would place criminal penalties on those who falsely claim to have risked their lives for our country, restoring honor to those who have truly earned it.

If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the link, it lists the House and Senate co-sponsors for the Stolen Valor Act. Doesn't appear that it's getting much support, but, more surprisingly, it appears that it's getting more support from Democrats.

I agree with all that has been said on this thread, the thing is after a while these posers believe what they say. sad but true

LeEnfield said:
I agree with all that has been said on this thread, the thing is after a while these posers believe what they say. sad but true
Sounds a bit like another thread we have running(Fake Marine). I just think this is the lowest form of getting attention. There are many other HONEST ways that you could use to pick up women...

Back