Tough Predicament

5.56X45mm

Milforum Mac Daddy
I see that Britain is about to ban brooms. No, really:
Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under “ridiculous” new health and safety guidelines.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer.

Instead they are advising carpentry firms to buy state-of-the-art vacuum cleaners and air purification systems which can cost thousands of pounds.
I think we can all agree that this is ridiculous, and a fine example of Nanny Gummint run amok. But that’s not the real point.

How is Cherie Blair going to get around if brooms are banned?

Why don't they give these dangerous brooms to the Home Guard to defend the country? Their invasion pikes might be a little rusty by now... :D

I see that Britain is about to ban brooms. No, really:
Carpenters and woodworkers have been told not to use brooms to sweep up sawdust because they are considered dangerous under “ridiculous” new health and safety guidelines.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) claims that sweeping up wood chippings in dusty workplaces can provoke asthma attacks and long term exposure lead to nose cancer.

Well, under those claims I have no chance of survival whatsoever. Even my very first job after school, in a shoe warehouse, involved sweeping great wooden floors everyday, first thing. We simply spread a layer of a substance called 'Dustmo' down first, which solved the problem as far as I know.

30 years of handling antique furniture and restoration, preceded by running a massive furniture factory!

On the other hand, I am 73 years old and still at it!

I dunno about banning brooms, but I wouldn't want to be in that room without lung protection... that dust won't do anything right away, but it's proven to be bad for your lungs in the long run.

[/i]

Well, under those claims I have no chance of survival whatsoever. Even my very first job after school, in a shoe warehouse, involved sweeping great wooden floors everyday, first thing. We simply spread a layer of a substance called 'Dustmo' down first, which solved the problem as far as I know.

30 years of handling antique furniture and restoration, preceded by running a massive furniture factory!

On the other hand, I am 73 years old and still at it!

[/indent]

Del Boy, was that Dustmo made from oily sawdust? That's what they used in the first school I attended. It was a red, oily sawdust that was scattered on the floor and then it was swept up. I guess it worked pretty good.

Back