Torture resistance training.

eTe

I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
I can imagine this sort of thing could be the toughest you go through, and I know it happens because even as a civvie, I don't see the military with rose tinted glasses.
This got a write up in the paper a while ago I think. Standard response, people were horrified. But I imagine anyone should be able to understand how important it maybe be.
My question is, have you ever undergone this sort of thing? Ever looked into it a bit? Know of any of the techniques they use in there?

One thing I read is that it does increase your limit when placed in those circumstances.

Survival, Evasion, Resistance & Extraction (SERE) training is tough but is also a necessary part of my training.

I don´t think we should go into the details of the training itself. The less a potential enemy knows about my training the better for my survival.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
I can imagine this sort of thing could be the toughest you go through, and I know it happens because even as a civvie, I don't see the military with rose tinted glasses.
This got a write up in the paper a while ago I think. Standard response, people were horrified. But I imagine anyone should be able to understand how important it maybe be.
My question is, have you ever undergone this sort of thing? Ever looked into it a bit? Know of any of the techniques they use in there?

One thing I read is that it does increase your limit when placed in those circumstances.

Due to modern touchy-feely policies, CAC (conduct after capture) training isn't as tough as it used to be. But even in the old days, it was more about psychology than physical "torture" (and torture has been found to be an inefficient method of gaining the info you want).

You can undergo "hostage survival" training in Australia as a civilian (if you have the cash). There are plenty of providers these day, of varying quality, who deliver this training.

Torture does work. If it were useless, then it wouldn't be used anymore. However, it does work, especially on people not prepared for it. The problem is in the reliability rate of the information extracted.

If it were useless, then it wouldn't be used anymore.
I was once told, "Christ,.. given a little time and the right tools you can make a cat sing Happy Birthday, but that in no way implies that the cat actually means it." or words to that effect.

The information provided through interrogation or torture, is never allowed to stand alone. It is only one source. All information will be verified.

In every kind of interrogation control questions is part of it. It's not just about getting people to confess to anything. It´s also about verification of the information you already have.

Torture does work. If it were useless, then it wouldn't be used anymore. However, it does work, especially on people not prepared for it. The problem is in the reliability rate of the information extracted.

True.
People will say anything, regardless of the amount of truth contained in those words to get pain to stop. Or so I've heard, obviously.

I didn't expect to learn much, information on this training is very difficult to find.
Thankyou for your response though.

Which means it doesn't work.

Unreliable information is useless. People will say whatever you want them to under torture.

More sophisticated methods glean more actionable intelligence.

It´s not the purpose of this type of interrogation.
There are many extreme methods of interrogation that are still, sadly, in use today, particularly in military environments. A dilemma of extreme interrogation is that whilst they may produce information, the truth of these may be a different matter. When subjects reach satisficing, they will say or do anything to reduce their discomfort. Professional interrogators knows that! And unreliable information may be verified as credible at a later date.

Extreme Interrogation.

Threats vary on a long sliding scale from minor to extreme. You can threaten to tell other people or you can put a gun in a person's mouth and threaten to pull the trigger. At the extreme, the goal is to create terror and belief that pain or something highly undesirable is about to happen. Threats may be of physical pain, harm to significant others or action that the subject desperately seeks not to happen. Blackmail works in this way, where the threat of exposure of secrets can lead people into desperate action. Threats work on fear and anticipated pain, where the thought and expectation of discomfort leads the person to imagine and virtually feel the pain, physical or emotional, that would be experienced. Threats may be unspoken, for example where the interrogator plays with a weapon or where instruments of torture are visible. If the individual is immune to threats, then people they hold dear may be threatened, such as friends. The problem with threats is that if the subject calls your bluff and you do not carry out the threat, then your credibility as an interrogator is lost.

The application of pain is a basic technique of extreme interrogation, whether through creating general discomfort, physical beating or using instruments of torture. Whilst many people will do anything to escape pain, extreme cases such as SF/SOF is trained to withstand high levels of pain. It also has surprised many interrogators how people with high ideals will go through terrible pain rather than give in.

Interrogators can also use disorientation methods to disorient their subjects, including:

Language that causes confusion.
Rapid barrages of questions.
Use of hypnosis and hypnotic language.
Time distortion, such as through changing meal times, turning lights on and off at different times.
Use of narcotics.

The basic principle of disorientation is to reduce the person's sense of judgment and their ability to make rational decisions. When asked questions, they may thus give answers that they would not give if they were able to think rationally before responding.

Depriving people of basic needs can lead both to disorientation, causing poor judgment as above, or desperation that leads to provision of information in order get that which is needed.
Deprivation can include:

Food and drink: Extreme hunger or thirst can persuade.
Sleep: Lack of sleep disorientates.
Company: Solitary confinement leads to craving attention (especially for some).
Sensation: Sensory deprivation disorientates.
Access: To information or significant others.

Debilitation is the systematic weakening of the person. Physically this may be through means such as corporal punishment, pain and deprivation. Psychological weakening may take place through humiliation and other actions, such as making them stand naked, forced religious sacrilege, triggering of phobias and mock executions.

Torture has many faces -and they work.

We can address interrogation in more general terms without going into the details of military training.
Interrogation is an asymmetrical form of dialogue, such that that the goals and methods used by one side are different from those used by the other side. The interrogator seeks to acquire information from the respondent that is needed for some purpose. The goal of the respondent is to achieve his or her own interests, significantly including self protection.

Whilst interrogation is not directly about persuasion, it includes many persuasive elements. The main goals of interrogation are usually acquisition of information and the most significant persuasion in this is to get the other person to collaborate. Because the respondent may well be motivated to not to reveal all or tell other than the truth, the interrogator may need to use various tricks to achieve their goals.

A significant trap in interrogations is that the person being questioned will give answers simply to get away from the interrogator or otherwise otherwise give false information about what is being sought (such as a witness 'being helpful'). It is thus important for the interrogator not to take simple answers at face value, but to find ways of corroborating them, for example by asking related questions at a later date or checking up on what they are told.

Of course there are many things that interrogators may do, but here are four general rules that will go a long way to getting you what you seek.

Prepare well
The effective interrogator is well prepared. The person being interrogated may well be resistant to your questions, so you need to have many alternatives at your call. Find facts that will make you seem all-knowing. Find out about their background, their interests, what others know, what they want and fear and so on. Build a list of core questions plus many other supplementary questions that will nudge them towards critical answers.

Promote a path of least effort
The best interrogators never have to raise their voice and the session seems to the other person to be less an interrogation and more a friendly conversation. Appear friendly and cooperative, even sympathetic to the respondent. Do not give them easy reasons to resist, at least at the beginning.

Where stronger methods are required, always leave an easy route in the direction you want them to move.

Sun Tzu, the famous Chinese military strategy said “Build your enemies a golden bridge”. If the other side feels cornered, they will fight hard. If, however, there is one easy way out, then they are more likely to take that than fight.

Be methodical
Interrogation can be a long and intricate affair in which answers can contradict one another and things be left undiscovered and unsaid and no stone can be left unturned. Ask questions carefully. Record responses. Take time out to cross-check responses for consistency or otherwise. Repeat questions that have not been answered yet.

Be patient
When the other side does not want to answer your questions, then they may use all kinds of resistance tactics. Only when they know that these will not work will many people resign and give you what you want. Even when the other person is collaborative, they may not easily remember what you are seeking or even understand what you really want of them. Give plenty of time for answers. Show that you will never give up and will persist however long it takes.

Last edited:
I will check them out, Spartan. Thanks.

And interesting read 42RM. As expected.
Even reading it from an interrogators perspective, it can shine light on things to expect as the other.
I know that some tricks used is deprivation of food and sleep, stress positions, sensory deprivation, humiliation etc. Very psychological.
So far the only tactic I have read about is to just answer the big 4 and reply with "Sorry I cannot answer that".

But, in a training exercise, would the use of narcotics and corporeal punishment really be involved?

A bit of pain makes sense.
Thanks 42RM

Thanks Spartan for that link. They appear to be just what I'm looking for.
Due to work being busy over summer, with any luck I'll be able to get serious with it mid next year.
Until then I guess I'll just stick a sticky with their info to the fridge.

Edit: I contacted GLS and they are not structured for individuals, but rather small groups. So no-go.

Damn

Last edited:
Here are some basic rules for you if you are being interrogated. Of course any professional interrogator will know and counteract these.

Minimize harm
The basic rule for respondents in interrogations is to reduce the amount of harm that you are likely to experience, particularly in the longer term. Always keep in mind what you really want.

Minimum information
Do not volunteer information without purpose. Decide on your talk strategy and stick to it. This can be to speak as little as possible or to give as much information as possible (except in those areas where you want to stay private, of course).

Conceal
Know those things that you do not want to be discovered and work hard to ensure they are buried deep. Make no hints or admissions that may lead the questioner in that direction. If the discussions do become perilously close to the areas under concealment, hold your nerve and keep it hidden. Be careful about attempted distractions that actually give away what you are trying to hide. If you push in one direction, the interrogator may take this as a sign and go the opposite way.

Distract
Play games with them to distract them and keep them interested in safe areas. If you can capture their attention, you can lead them down false trails and away from the areas you want to conceal. A classic distraction is to pretend that you are collaborating, answering their questions, but in doing so causing delays and other distractions.

Delay
Find ways to slow down the proceedings, especially if you can benefit from such tactics. Play ill. Be sick or otherwise unable to collaborate. Get mentally ill. Go all twitchy. Scream and shout. Ask for time to think. Show that you are on the edge and just need a bit of time. Give them information that takes a while to check out.

Erect barrier
Erect a psychological barrier between you and them. The simplest barrier is silence. Imagine an invisible sound-proof wall between you. Other barriers that are used include distrust and hatred.

Distort
When you have to give out information, distort it, leaving out key items or adding in distractions and other modifications. Change names, places, times, and so on. Exaggerate some areas and play down others. Some people are so good at distortion that they even convince themselves. Work on making what you say so credible you have difficulty yourself in separating reality from fantasy.

Negotiate
When at last you have to give true information, negotiate with the interrogator. Get promises that you can be sure will be fulfilled. It is easy for interrogators to make empty promises in order to get information from you. Give only that which you are prepared to give. Test their integrity with small exchanges before giving away anything big. They may well test anything you give them, so be careful. You can give them things that are hard to verify or things that seem useful but are not.

Interrogators will often play the concerned friend in order to get the information. It is fairly well known that soft and sympathetic approaches are often more effective than the extreme at getting information. Sympathy may also be alternated with extreme pressure, perhaps with different people taking different roles (Good cop, bad cop). But if the person being interrogated has been trained in counter-interrogation, then sympathy will be very unlikely to work.

Thanks for that 42RM.
Interesting stuff.

Of course as simple as it sounds now, I imagine when you haven't eaten or slept in 3 days, things change...

Due to modern touchy-feely policies, CAC (conduct after capture) training isn't as tough as it used to be. But even in the old days, it was more about psychology than physical "torture" (and torture has been found to be an inefficient method of gaining the info you want).

You can undergo "hostage survival" training in Australia as a civilian (if you have the cash). There are plenty of providers these day, of varying quality, who deliver this training.
Or he could marry my ex wife.

Well there are some very nice looking ladies that will teach you to accept pain for a price, mind you you could have more fun with them than you would in the forces

Hahaha yea thus could bs true, but you might walk away with more than an attraction to pain.

Back