Torpedo Malfunction.

Hopefully they have an EOD guy on board. Or perhaps they covered FTFs in the torpedo technician's A-school.

Actually with Fuzing on US Ordnance there are safeties built in so the Ordnance must do things first, like say bridge a certain gap before it becomes fully armed, unless the Ordnance is specifically designed or set to be muzzle actuated, as in the case of Beehive Rounds and such.
Oh sure, it kicks up the Dud Rate having such nice things like safeties and such, but the Crews firing such Weapons like that kind of thing.
The Russians had at one time a very low Dud Rate, but then the Russians would also lose a Gun Crew every now and then because of not having the nice safety features.

The Arming Safety in the case of a Torpedo pneumatically launched from a Surface Vessel would help prevent the Ordnance from detonating after striking say, a form of sea life, should one porpoise out of the water and inadvertently come in contact with the Weapon at just the worst possible moment, and help prevent the Ordnance itself from just getting pissed off because it is leaving the Surface Vessel Torpedo Tube, and deciding on its own to just blow up, or keep it from blowing up just because it smacked into the Sea Surface really hard.

As far as any EOD Techs on the Ship in question, it seems too small a Ship to keep Techs on, as Navy Techs usually bunk on a Carrier, but I was not in the Navy, and would not know for sure, and it could have been some type of test fire.
As far as clearling the Tube, it's technically not stuck, as in say in the case of an Artillery Projectile stuck half way up the Tube because of lands and grooves. The Torpedo in question just did not receive enough pneumatic pressure to clear the Tube and function as designed.
If it wern't for being over the Water, I'd say it would be just like clearing a smooth bore mortar misfire, which is an operator issue. But it is over the water, and well things are different, that's why the Navy takes care of such things on their own.
If one were to simply push it out, it would fall an awfully long way to the kinda hard surface of the Sea, and could actually come in contact with the side of the ship on the way down, and then sink.
And even if not fully armed according to specs, well, I dont know if I would risk that, but the answer would no doubt be in the book for the person in charge of such a system on the Ship. I just know that Ordnance gets temperamental at times, and very strange things happen.

Rndersafe may know, well he may know and still not say, as the actual nuts and bolts RSP would be classified.

Back