8- C36 Capproni (Italy)
7- Panavia Tornado GR-4
6- Avro Vulcan (UK)
5- Tu-95 Bear (Russia)
4- Lancaster (UK)
3- B-2 Spirit (US)
2- B-17 Flying Fortress (US)
1- B-52 (BUFF) Stratofortress (US)

It was just shown on Discovery Channel and then I thought it is a good thing to share with you!

i dont agree with all of it, but i certainly agree with the number 1 and number 2, though i would have them in the opposite order.

I think a lot of it is down to what country makes that makes the programmes to where the bombers come and what is included.

I am surprised that the B-24 Liberator is not on the list. It was far better than the B-17 and was produced in far greater numbers than the others. With over 18,000 aircraft built the Consolidated B-24 Liberator was produced in even greater numbers than the other famous Second World War US bomber, the B-17 Flying Fortress. source: http://www.aviation-history.com/consolidated/b24.html

Last edited:
phoenix80 said:
The Top Ten Greatest Ever Bombers according to the Discovery Channel

10- Swordfish (Britain)
9- Stuka (Germany)
8- C36 Capproni (Italy)
7- Panavia Tornado GR-4
6- Avro Vulcan (UK)
5- Tu-95 Bear (Russia)
4- Lancaster (UK)
3- B-2 Spirit (US)

It was just shown on Discovery Channel and then I thought it is a good thing to share with you!

Can you give the reasons they chose each?

Actually, I think that list is rather good (although the Tornado and Vulcan are suprising).

I agree with the top 5, although maybe in different order. The Stuka should be a little higher, it became famous for providing close air support that was a central pillar of the blitzkrieg strategy.

The B-24 and B-29 should definitely have been on there. As another poster mentioned, the B-24 was even more proliferous than the famous B-17, and the B-29 was the only weapon system ever to deliver a nuclear payload in anger.

I think a lot of it is down to what country makes that makes the programmes to where the bombers come and what is included.

Na, but the lancaster should be higher on the list.

I found the list an another site...

http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk/greatest-ever/bomberaircraft.html

10- Swordfish - Grumman TBM Avenger was FAR better.
9- Stuka (Germany) Too slow and vulnerable. Douglas Dauntless SB2 was a better aircraft, could take more of a beating...
8- C36 Capproni (Italy)
7- Panavia Tornado GR-4. Very good but better than the F-15E?
6- Avro Vulcan (UK)
5- Tu-95 Bear (Russia) Dunno, maybe the Tu-22M Backfire or the Tu-16 Bear
4- Lancaster (UK) Certainly a classic, but compared to a B-29? Many would argue the Short Stiring was the best RAF Bomber in WWII.
3- B-2 Spirit (US), I would stick the Junkers Ju-88 here, probably the most verstile bomber ever built.

There are so many absent aircraft.
B-29, A-10 Warthog, Dehavalland Mosquito, Ju-88, IL-2, Pe-2, Pe-3, B-25, B-24 Short Stirling, Mirage IV, the Henkiel HE-III or 129...

Last edited:
B-2 USA
B-52 USA
B-1B USA
Tu-16 Badger USSR
Tu-4 USSR (based on B-29 USA)
Tu-160 Russia
Vulcan UK
Victor UK
Valiant UK
Canberra UK

Last edited:
Sorry for double post .Hit enter key twice

1)VULCAN

xm655logo.jpg

Vulcan B.2 XM655; Dick Clements (RIP)
The first time I saw a Vulcan displaying, I merely stared open-mouthed for the twenty or so minutes the display lasted, completely awestruck. The sheer size, grace and power of this machine is something that mere photos can never show. If you can imagine an aircraft the size of an airliner being thrown around the sky as if it were a Spitfire, you have some idea of what a Vulcan display was like.
The second time I saw a Vulcan displaying, I was in much the same awestruck state. If you can imagine the scene, a house in Portsmouth, where we don't usually get much in the way of air displays, and suddenly a roaring sound swells into a great throbbing crescendo... every rooftop and tree seems to explode as startled birds take flight... and several hundred people like myself, who can recognise the sound of a Vulcan after a single 'Tin Triangle' experience, rush out into their gardens for a glimpse of this great aircraft. I had the presence of mind to bring a camera outside, but unfortunately never actually took any pictures, I was too busy just watching the display!

From my point of view!

B-52 Strat and B-2 Spirit are the two best bombers in the world due to their features, success level and capabilities.

Nice Vulcan, Sven Hassell

I agree with the swordfish, or stringbag as it is sometimes called...
The stuka deserves lots of credit. However, I personally prefer the IL-2...
Don't know anything about Italian bombers, except the sparviero and pipistrello...
Agreeable with the Tornado. I don't know a lot about it, but is is quite good...
The Vulcan I mentioned above. Outstanding overall, 5 stars. :cool:
The Tupolev Bear is another one of those Soviet cold war aircraft I simply don't know as much about as I would like to.
The Lancaster was a heavy payload holder, but had relatively weak body armor, its only downfall.
The B-2 holds historic signifigance, and is a good bomber, but I don't think It's worty of that 3rd spot.
The B-17 is another 5-star performer, and is equal to the B-24 in all categories.
No arguing with the Stratofortress. Was in fornt line service while almost all mdoern bombers hadn't even been designed yet.

My Top list:
  1. B-52
  2. B-17/B-24
  3. Tupolev bear
  4. Swordfish
  5. Avro Vulcan
  6. B-2
  7. Tornado
  8. IL-2/IL-10
  9. Lancaster
  10. Stuka
The Italian Bomber is not in the list, but that is becuse I know very little about it. It was from WWI, right?

I dont understand why the tornado is on their over the F-15E its been a much more sucssesful aircraft.

I dont see why the B-52 is on there, its the end of era the last step for the classical bombers before we went to the supersonic/stealth age.

Rabs said:
I dont see why the B-52 is on there, its the end of era the last step for the classical bombers before we went to the supersonic/stealth age.

Well, for starters the B-52 has been in service with the US since before most of us were born. It must be doing something right.

Well, for starters the B-52 has been in service with the US since before most of us were born. It must be doing something right.

Being a big expensive bomb truck that no one wants to get rid of cause it looks bad.

Back