Top Ten Anti Air Defense?

Please stay on topic guys.. ;)

And please keep this to a hardware related thread, and don't turn it into a "my country is better than yours" thread..

Thanks, now please carry on.. :cool:

Roger that Redleg.

Eaglehammer, every weapons system do have pros and cons - comparing each and every one of them is a tremendous task...

Last edited:
Heh I don't think this question can be answered with the evidence we have. When was the last time one country truly tested another country's air defenses to the fullest extent? When's the last time America's air defenses were tested? Japan's? China's? Are all the SAMs and AAAs a country declares having all that it has? Mmm tricky this question is...

Depends on what kind of Air Defence. If we are talking low level threat then I think the RBS-70 is one of the best systems around, not just due to lethality and range etc but because of the portability, flexibility and very low battlefield signature.

But nothing goes past Spitfires and Bofors guns.... and chuck in a couple of searchlights.

The country with the best air force has the best air defense, ground based air-defenses have been proven to be of limited use even against non-stealth aircraft, so I would definetly put the USA at the top, followed by Israel, then the United Kingdom, followed by Germany, France, Japan, South Korea, Russia, China and Saudi Arabia. It is however extremely important to mention that I am basing this on little knowledge and only about five minutes worth of thinking it over. I put Israel number 2 because their pilots have proven themselves to be the best in the world but unfortunately they lack the numbers of the US and UK, I put the UK third because I think their air force right now is primarily a ground attack/support force, but that is already changing with the Lightning II set to enter service within the next five years, not that I am saying the Lightning II is some uber weapon far superior to what the UK already had, but the addition of a couple hundred aircraft won't hurt them.

Depends on what kind of Air Defence. If we are talking low level threat then I think the RBS-70 is one of the best systems around, not just due to lethality and range etc but because of the portability, flexibility and very low battlefield signature.

But nothing goes past Spitfires and Bofors guns.... and chuck in a couple of searchlights.

The RBS-70 is a very good system for dealing with low level threats, add a NASAMS system and you have a lethal perimeter defence running.

I totally agree with you on the Bofors and searchlights!

Last edited:
The RBS-70 is a very good system for dealing with low level threats, add a NASAMS system and you have a lethal perimeter defence running.

I totally agree with you on the Bofors and searchlights!

Cheers mate. Yeah I don't think people should over look low level GBAD for the effect it has on shaping the battlespace.

There are no 'good' and 'bad' GBAD systems. Each system has its shortages, and the one system needs to cover the 'death space' of the other (by using a C2AA).
Only by having and combining several GBAD systems, you will be able to 'defend' you 'airspace'.

The 'best' is hard to know but as for the fastest improving I´ll bet that UAE deserves a mention...

Abu Dhabi - A $6.9 billion purchase of the Terminal High Altitude Air Defense (THAAD) system by the United Arab Emirates will probably take around 18 months now that the U.S. Congress has cleared a sale of the antimissile weapon, Lockheed Martin’s Denis Cavin vice president of international air and missile defense said Feb. 23 at the IDEX arms show.

Raytheon has won an award of up to $3.3 billion to provide Patriot missiles and systems to the United Arab Emirates, the Tewksbury, Mass., company said Dec. 18.

The UAE becomes the 11th country outside the U.S. that has bought Raytheon's Patriot missile systems and services. The UAE contract is for advanced Patriot air and missile defense capability, whole life support and related training. Raytheon will provide the UAE with Patriot Config-3 capabilities, its most advanced Patriot system, and the Patriot GEM-T missiles. The Config-3 system allows the use of Lockheed's PAC-3 missiles, which Lockheed will provide to the UAE under a separate contract.

Back