The Top Military Powers 20 Years From Now

There was an article in the local paper where those who were drafted in Viet Nam said getting rid of National Service was one of the biggest mistakes the federal government had made, claiming it made boys into men.

In many cases I feel that this was true, and is evidenced by the fact that most blokes who were called up are quite happy about it in retrospect.

Unfortunately our Government is struggling to be able to budget enough money to support the small Armed forces that we maintain at the moment, I can't see that they would ever find the extra money to re introduce National Service. Also I think that with the present state of mind of the general population it would be political suicide for which ever side introduced it.

Have to agree with Israel being on the list. What about the EU's Eurocorps? With a single currency, no borders, and trying to ratify a constitution, Europe is on it's way to becoming the United States of Europe. That could make for quite the military machine. May sound a bit fanciful now, but the makings are there. Just some food for thought.

http://www.eurocorps.net/home/

I just checked out that site and it listed the five core European countries as:-Belgium,Luxembourg,Spain,France,Germany plus other nations such as Turkey,Poland,Canada....CANADA??????? since when has that been in Europe? Maybe it should be called the Euronorthamericancorps or the Europlusothercontinentsiftheyhaveanarmywecanmakeuseofcorps .:hide: :biggun:

I just checked out that site and it listed the five core European countries as:-Belgium,Luxembourg,Spain,France,Germany plus other nations such as Turkey,Poland,Canada....CANADA??????? since when has that been in Europe? Maybe it should be called the Euronorthamericancorps or the Europlusothercontinentsiftheyhaveanarmywecanmakeuseofcorps .:hide: :biggun:

Just a theoretical answer to a theoretical question. The foundations are there. I don't think the Eurocorp has the coordination to attack an old-folks home today. With the EU now having 27 member states, 3 candidates, and several others wanting membership, that MIGHT become a powerful force in 20 years. Like I said in my original post, it was just some food for thought, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon, they can't even get the EU constitution passed, much less get 27 armies on the same sheet of music.
As far as Turkey, Poland and Canada go; Poland is already an EU member. Turkey is a candidate, but geographically is not in Europe, it's Asia Minor. Canada is a stable economy and friendly with Europe, so if Turkey is an example, why not let Canada in too? Then we'll have the
Europlusothercontinentsiftheyhaveanarmywecanmakeus eofcorps

Defending the

Europeanpluseveryonelesewithastableeconomyorcheapimportablelaborunion

:confused:

1-USA. For the reasons stated above.
2-China. Sheer numbers are on their side. They don't have the AF of the US, but it isn't terrible.
3-Russia. They're making a comeback under Putin. They have a decent AF and Army. But the navy is a bit small.
4-UK. Best Navy, good Army, decent AF.
5-Germany. Always strong on all fronts.
6-France. The Rafale is one of the best new fighters out there. Though a step behind the F22, so is everything else.
7-Brazil. The best in South America by far, and trying to become a world power.
8-Iran. Imprivong in leaps and bounds. If they get the bomb they could instantly be very dangerous.
9-North Korea. Very Military oriented, and seeking the bomb. Dangerous as all get out if they succeed.
10-Japan. Excellent AF and Navy, but they're limited by the treaties at the end of WWII.

3-Russia. They're making a comeback under Putin. They have a decent AF and Army. But the navy is a bit small.

Bit small? Well, they could have but they're strong. I heard Russian Navy are one of top 5 navies in the world.
1. USA
2. Russia
3. Britian
4. France
5. India

I heard it from History Channel, "Russia Navy."

The EU may have many things and even a great economical future but it doesn't have one of the most important elements needed to become a great military force: a sense of "nationalism" that unites a country against a common foe. If the manure were to hit the fan would the population of Europe be willing or able to forget old differences and stand side by side in battle? Would they have the sense of trust needed to unite under a single banner? I don't think that could happen for several generations. Not until those with first hand memories of WWII are gone. And God help us if they chose the French to lead them!

North Korea doesn't belong on that list.
They're barely keeping their country together.
Want to know why South Korea and China sends grain etc to North Korea? It's to prevent their collapse.

Kind of but not really.
The chances of North Korea actually winning a war against the South is pretty darn slim at this point.
The problem arises when North Korea LOSES. South Korea needs to rebuild North Korea which will strain the economy like crazy. South Korea can't afford to rebuild North Korea and still maintain its economic growth. So in other words, South Korea's government doesn't want reunification. That's why we're stopping them from collapsing. Reunification, and even perhaps a short war, will be too expensive.

I don't know the details but I would imagine that it could be worse.
If we have a war before unification, then we would have a situation FAR worse than Germany had.
Even without it, we don't have an economy the size of Germany's and I can't see North Korea's current state any better than East Germany was back when they got unified. Right now what we have in North Korea is a humanitarian catastrophe.
Yeah, I'd say it's going to be far worse.

I'd be willing to venture its based on a couple things.

1) Quality of equipment being bought rather than quantity

2) Quality of troops and their training

:dive:

But China's defense spending is 3X as high as India's. How do you know China's equipment is not better than India's?

Back