Top Japanese scientists disagree with Global Warming

And mine would be under 20 feet of Ocean, so while I am not exactly an environmentalist I am greatly concerned.

Wouldn't it be time to do some planning and remodeling? A nice glass bubble might give you quite a view.

I am looking in to buying some property along the future site of the California coast line. I can't touch the cost of current land along the coast. Problem is I don't know how Global Warming is going to effect earthquakes and if California falls into the ocean where the best property will be. It's all in the planning.:confused:

Wouldn't it be time to do some planning and remodeling? A nice glass bubble might give you quite a view.

I am looking in to buying some property along the future site of the California coast line. I can't touch the cost of current land along the coast. Problem is I don't know how Global Warming is going to effect earthquakes and if California falls into the ocean where the best property will be. It's all in the planning.:confused:

Arizona or Nevada would be your best bet, no earthquakes and you wont be far from the beach.
:)

I would avoid the East Coast as that will be wiped out when the Cayman Islands drops into the ocean and sends a sodding great tidal wave eastward.

But outside that things are looking fine.

Wouldn't the Himalayas be a great place, property is cheap, your money could go far and you'd have a beach front house in 50 years, whilst the rest of us are paddling around on our sofas. You'd also have some spectacular views whilst waiting for the next ice age.

I'm just wondering if we are seeing yet another "perfect storm". The earth goes through changes, but maybe due to the effects of mankind we've managed to accelerate / accentuate the process, either way something is happen and the net result could be a freckle sandwich for all concerned. Me I'm off to find a house boat in Kashmir - nice and safe there!!

Wasn't there some reshuffling at NASA's JPL a few months ago when they published a study questioning whether humans were responsible for Global Warming?

Partisan, any rise in sea level isn't going to be that significant. If it does happen, places that are basically a few inches above sea level would be at risk but the Himalayas will still be the Himalayas. Also, this is another thing that people can't really seem to prove. Temperatures are going up a bit but the sea level doesn't seem to be changing enough for anyone to be absolutely sure.

Perhaps it's a bit like the frog in boiling water... Toss him in at a boil, and he'll jump out... But if you put him in warm water and slowly bring up the temperature, he'll lounge around till he realizes he's dead.

Its a bit more complicated than that.
Sometimes I feel like we're panicking because winter's ending and summer's coming and we never lived long enough to have personally experienced the last summer (even though it's clear folks were around then and were doing fine).

In the winter of 1996/97 we had seven blizzards hit my hometown of Sioux Falls, SD, seven blizzards in one six month period, I was ten years old at the time. All of my birthdays were either outdoors sledding or indoors because it was too cold for anything other than sledding outside. Since then I have had one birthday where there was even a trace of snow on the ground and we've had only one blizzard in these parts the last 12 years. I am going to have a hard time believing anyone who says that the average global temperature is not increasing based on what I've witnessed in my own short life experiences, to quote one of my professors, "We haven't had a winter since 1997." Last winter (07/08) was the coldest winter of this decade and yet when one compares it to the historical averages it was still slightly above normal for average temperature. I remember having to wear costumes over my winter clothes for Halloween, now I see people wearing shorts and t-shirts as part of their costumes. Winters are shorter, summers longer and drier. That's just my observations living in the Midwest where the effects of any sort of climate change should be less severe, I can't imagine what it's like on one of the hundreds of inhabited islands throughout the world in danger of completely disappearing as water levels rise.

In the winter of 1996/97 we had seven blizzards hit my hometown of Sioux Falls, SD, seven blizzards in one six month period, I was ten years old at the time. All of my birthdays were either outdoors sledding or indoors because it was too cold for anything other than sledding outside. Since then I have had one birthday where there was even a trace of snow on the ground and we've had only one blizzard in these parts the last 12 years. I am going to have a hard time believing anyone who says that the average global temperature is not increasing based on what I've witnessed in my own short life experiences, to quote one of my professors, "We haven't had a winter since 1997." Last winter (07/08) was the coldest winter of this decade and yet when one compares it to the historical averages it was still slightly above normal for average temperature. I remember having to wear costumes over my winter clothes for Halloween, now I see people wearing shorts and t-shirts as part of their costumes. Winters are shorter, summers longer and drier. That's just my observations living in the Midwest where the effects of any sort of climate change should be less severe, I can't imagine what it's like on one of the hundreds of inhabited islands throughout the world in danger of completely disappearing as water levels rise.

Seems like your recent weather is making up for lost time.

Yes, it is spring, high was 50 today, I didn't even bother grabbing a sweat shirt before leaving the house.

You never know what nature is going to throw at you. In November it was generally around 20 degrees out, then we get one day where it was in the 60s. Weird.

It's April and we're still wearing jackets and it's been that way all throughout with the exception of only a handful of days.

What I have missed so far is the difference between the accelerated green-house and the natural green house effect. If you take into account the Co2 makes up for a mere 0.3% of the total atmosphere, what do you think mans influence will be?
And the fact that there has been a green house-effect for the past 4.6 billion years and man has only been around for 250.000 years.... you do the math.
Finally, with out the natural green house-effect we would all be dead. Earth's temperature would be around - a lot of degrees centigrade or Fahrenheit.

In short, nobody really knows what causes it and if the effect are detrimental... We will see..... better said; or grandchildrens grandchildren will see.

I'd say Ted's assessment is pretty good here.

And because we don't understand, we've turned it into a new age religion.

What I have missed so far is the difference between the accelerated green-house and the natural green house effect. If you take into account the Co2 makes up for a mere 0.3% of the total atmosphere, what do you think mans influence will be?
And the fact that there has been a green house-effect for the past 4.6 billion years and man has only been around for 250.000 years.... you do the math.
Finally, with out the natural green house-effect we would all be dead. Earth's temperature would be around - a lot of degrees centigrade or Fahrenheit.

In short, nobody really knows what causes it and if the effect are detrimental... We will see..... better said; or grandchildrens grandchildren will see.

Yes, and I understand that with or without man-kind, the planet controls and adjusts as required; If big changes call for a little more or less and that, it is taken care of .The parasites(?) on the surface are of little consequence . For example, the Ice Age was ended by volcanic eruption, just what was required. We should stop talking of saving the planet and concentrate on how man-kind is to survive. Whatever happens in that respect, the world will thrive, greenhouse gases galore and without being concreted over.

It is a very organised creation just about beyond our ken, and whether it was meant for us or not we may well be about to find out.

Last edited:
Back