Top aircraft of the VietNam War era (four categories)

tomtom22

Chief Engineer
Top aircraft of the VietNam War era (four categories)
Some rules:
This era is defined as June 1954 to April 1975.
The aircraft nominated must be operational during the era cited, i.e. in the possession of the units, not experimental.
Maximum of three nominees per category.

The four catergories are:
Fighter
Bomber
Attack
Transport

My nominees are as follows:
Fighter: McDonnell-Douglas F-4, North American F-100
Bomber: B-57 Canberra, B-52 Stratofortress
Attack: Douglas A-1 Skyraider, Republic F-105, Douglas AC-47 Spooky
Transport: C-130, C-141 & C-5

my nominees are:

Fighters: F-4 Phantom II
Bomber: B-52 Stratofortress
Attack: A-1 Skyraider, A-4 Skyhawk
Transport: C-130, C-141

Fighter/Bomber = F-4E II, F-104, F-4D (ZOT - Laser Guided Bomb Equipped)

Bomber= B-52

Attack= A-6, A-4

Recon = RF-4C/E

Transport = C-130, C-17

Is there any real conflict over the bomber? N.Vietnam didn't even really have strategic bombers and the B-52 is slated to stay in service until 2032!

No Non-American aircraft in this list?

Or does "Vietnam-era" only refer to weapons used in the Vietnam war, as opposed to weapons throughout the world DURING the Vietnam war.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:

Or does "Vietnam-era" only refer to weapons used in the Vietnam war, as opposed to weapons throughout the world DURING the Vietnam war.

You can suggest any aircraft that meets the rules set down in the first post. It is not meant to be limited to those aircraft used in the VietNam War. I am surprised that no one up to this post has not included any other aircraft other than USA types. That was not my intent in starting this thread. I wanted to limit the thread to a time period certain.

Just read tom toms last post and if its a time period rather than aircraft actually used then it would have to be the Vulcan bomber.Check this plane out, its totally awesome!!!

Mohmar Deathstrike said:

The NVA MiG-21 was good in 1960s

Haha, your post has a double meaning to me.

NVA can mean Nationale Volksarmee (National People's Army), which was the Armed Forces of the German Democratic Republic or North Vietnamese Army.

I'm guessing the MiG-21s of both NVAs were good then.

best aircraft

Fighter: F-4F with the internal gun
Bomber: F-105 thunderchief. i know its not a "true bomber but thats what it was good at
Attack: A-1D Skyraider this plane saved so many lives
Transport: C-130 "The Herky-Bird"

Re: best aircraft

gigabrain said:
Attack: A-1D Skyraider this plane saved so many lives

Doesn't an attack plane that saves lives kinda defeat its purpose? Imagine a medevac plane that takes many lives. Would be a terrible plane, wouldn't it?

sven hassell said:
typing without thinking today, meant ac-47 "puff the magic dragon" dont know why c130 stuck in my mind!
C-130s were also used in the same role as the AC-47 in Vietnam, some of them had 105 mm howitzers, beside the gatling gun.

Mohmar Deathstrike said:
Doesn't an attack plane that saves lives kinda defeat its purpose?
when i said it saved lives i mean that it was used as CAS for pilot and pow recovery

Back