Top aircraft of the VietNam War era (four categories)

C-130s were also used in the same role as the AC-47 in Vietnam, some of them had 105 mm howitzers, beside the gatling gun.__________________
Thanks tom tom for helping me remember where that info had been hiding in the corner of my mind.Do you have any links to pics of one with the howitzer? Ive never heard of conventional artillery as such being used on an aircraft.

:m16shoot: :tank:

I'd have to agree with
F4
C130
B52

Those are the aircraft that stood at the center of the US arsenal for the Vietnam era.

What I think is a more interesting discussion is the things that were developed during or because of the Vietnam War:
SR71 Blackbird
F-14
F-15
F-16
A-10
Cobra Attack Helicopter
... many more.

Vietnam was a bitter experience, but numerous excellent designs came from that era. I think that at the very least, Vietnam created an accelleration in R&D within the US military.

godofthunder9010 said:
I'd have to agree with
F4
C130
B52

Those are the aircraft that stood at the center of the US arsenal for the Vietnam era.

What I think is a more interesting discussion is the things that were developed during or because of the Vietnam War:
SR71 Blackbird
F-14
F-15
F-16
A-10
Cobra Attack Helicopter
... many more.

Vietnam was a bitter experience, but numerous excellent designs came from that era. I think that at the very least, Vietnam created an accelleration in R&D within the US military.

You bring up a very interesting point, godofthunder9010. I agree that many new designs came about , not only in terms of aircraft, but in the engineer field and in infantry tools as well. For example the starlight scope and the Rome plow.

Back