Top 5 navies of the world

the last aircraft carrier australia had was the hmas melbourne and it was decomissioned in 1982. Australia should have a good reputation at keeping aussie teritory as that is what the navy of australia job is to control australian sea approaches or at the very least deny it to anybody else.
btw the australian navy is planning on 2 boats that look alot like aircraft carriors but they wont admit to it yet as it could be seen as provocation by other nations and politicians havent agreed to put jsf's on them yet.

Last edited:
sorry spanish marine, but the U.S. DOES control the world's seas...if you ever tried to block the med sea, the U.S. could get through....but thats all hypothetical, since on countries are friendly.

USA
Russia (we have the Kuznetsov carrier and the Peter the Great nuclear battle cruiser, and Akula subs, as well as the new Borei-class subs, c'mon)
China
UK
Australia, France, or Japan.

Don't know about the Russian navy becuase although they do have a carrier, it has some severe limitations (ski jump system means aircraft cannot take off with a full load) and of course there's the question of the ships that are supposed to protect the aircraft carrier as well.
The Chinese have what is largely a brown/green water navy so I don't know if they deserve to have 3rd spot.

I would put the UK and Japan, respectively, above China. Japan's got some pretty nice DDGs in the Kongo-class, and the UK has the new type-45.

Thanks for the recorrect. However, I've been told that the Aussie Navy has the good reputation for its defend against any foreigners whose enter the Aussie water territory and most advanced techologies in the Pacific Ocean.

Australia has a small Navy as our population is only 20 million but it has to protect more coastline than the continental USA. Every 2 years Australia participates in RIMPAC with the US and other invited Navies (eg Canada) in exercises off Hawaii and has earned a good reputation in that our ships and subs frequently get past US defences and successfully "sink" its American targets. Although in a real war, if the US were the real enemy of Australia, no doubt the US Navy would overwhelm the RAN in shear size and fire-power.

About the aircraft carriers, Australia will be getting two Canberra Class LHD's that although we wont call them aircraft carriers, in size they will be bigger than our former aircraft carriers HMA Ships MELBOURNE and SYDNEY.

Displacement 30,700 tons
length 231 metres or 757 feet
will have 24 helo's and carry 1,000 troops in addition to its 250 complement.
It would be possible to arm them with fixed wing aircraft.

Our last aircraft carrier HMAS MELBOURNE (decommissioned in 1982) was smaller than these Canberra Class LHD's due in 2012 (Aircraft carrier HMAS SYDNEY was even smaller and was decommissioned 1973).

HMAS MELBOURNE with USS MIDWAY in line astern

From information, and personal experience at multiple international Navy exercises I would list these as the top five:

1. USA
2. UK
3. India
4. Russia
5. Australia

Trust me China is not in the game although I can see her reaching # 2 in five - seven years (a lot of their ships' external hardware and technologies are fake). France has a stong Navy but not a great performer. Russian Navy is declining but India is surprisingly (to me anyway) very impressive.

I think it'll take the Chinese a lot longer to actually build that sort of capability.
Not surprised a lot of their stuff is fake. Right now they're working real hard for a modern military, they're there in many cases but they still need more time. Until then, they need to fill in with the impression that more progress is being made than it really is.
I think you're a bit generous Padre, I think it'll take the Chinese a good decade or more to even pretend to transition into a blue water navy.
As for the Canberra class LHDs, notice that the picture shows they have ski jumps at the end of the flight deck.

1. I always loved the British Navy.. They have been tip-top since the 1700's so they get my vote
2. USA is here, definitely.
3. Russia
4. Japan
5. No clue

Actually at this point in time, anyone who picks anyone other than the US for the number 1 spot in terms of raw naval power is either:
a) someone who has no idea about any military subject at all
b) an America hater
The USN is just that powerful right now.

I just picked Britain because of their ownage naval history.

But yes, USA atm would be up top, followed closely by Russia then closely by Japan etc etc

If you consider history, of course the Royal Navy was just legendary for centuries and was the artery that made the British Empire possible.
If you're talking history, I think the Royal Navy in 1st place does have merit.

I am surprised at the lack of confidence in the French Navy, one of the few navies with power projection abilities outside their immediate area. The ability to support a fleet away from the European theater. They would be in my top five list.

Back