Top 5 best simulation games

Team Infidel

Forum Spin Doctor
Top 5 best simulation games
Live an alternate life. Fly an airplane. Take control of an unusual business venture. The great thing about simulation games is the way they let players dig into situations they would never otherwise get to explore. These are our Top 5 favorite sim games.

I have a fiend named Julie who goes by dmf in Targetware that says IL2 forgotten battles is good and Targetware is good too. I'm more into Freespace myself. either retail or SCP, even though its all offline now.

I prefer war games over anything else myself, either Land, Sea, Or air, The sims have just never quite done it for me.

I agree but it doesn't diminish the fact the "The Sims" has sold well (not entirely sure why).

As for me I would have to say my favourite game of all time was Panzer General followed fairly closely by Steel Panthers.

I prefer war games over anything else myself, either Land, Sea, Or air, The sims have just never quite done it for me.

Totally agree with you, I'm surprised they don't have a single one on that list. Tbh that list is pretty pathetic calling some of those titles "sims" is pushing it a bit. :???:

Anyways, my current favorite by far is a military simulator ArmA 2 (armed assault 2) / VBS, of course you really need a serious multiplayer milsim community like Operation Reality Community (ORC aka Opreal) around you to really get the most out of this type of game.

There are loads of awesome videos on Youtube for this game, check em out! :rock:

I like sims, but prefer wargames. So, I cannot make 5, just two:

- Harpoon (Naval)
- TacOps (Ground, squad/coy level)

I have tried many others in the (computer) wargaming (and focus on simulation) section, but none else made it to pass my requisits.

Rattler

Last edited:
I heard about TACOPS but I don't know if I want to shell money out for a game I'm not sure I'll be playing very often.
But maybe I should... I have a feeling I will learn a lot from it.

I heard about TACOPS but I don't know if I want to shell money out for a game I'm not sure I'll be playing very often.
But maybe I should... I have a feeling I will learn a lot from it.

From my POV, with the 25$ invested (and a free, unexpirable demo to test away all you want at http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=122&Itemid=172), dual platform, and all US FMs included you cannot waste money, really.

It sure is no graphically glitzy game (think a mil map in your coy CP), but if you want to learn RL tactics, it will provide you with all the challenges and results you can and hope to expect (from an abstraction, that is).

Excellent and flexible tactics education and training tool between squad and BN level battles, 24/7 support by the programmer himself (Major Holdridge, USMC ret.), a well formed, educated flame-free list of long time users (I have been 17 yrs on the list now) to back you up, my best ever price/value relation game wise.

Only one flaw: Since 2 years new developments (which are available to the USMC officially and to some testers inofficially) have gone a bit (much) into hiatus, as the good Major just let us know today from his Texan lake cabin hideout:

I am not currently working on the hobby version of TacOps for either the Mac or the PC. However, the unfinished hobby v5 code is still on both of my dev machines and it is right where I left it two years ago - when I got supremely pissed off by it, Apple, and Microsoft.

I continue to await inspiration. I just paid Apple $540 for another year of
ADC membership so I have not given up completely. The coding muse seems to be having trouble finding me at the lake cabin. :)

Still, with what we have now (and knowing what the Major has on his machine, updates usually are free), definitely worthwile.

I recommend to start out with the demo to get a grip, try the delivered human vs. AI scenarios of the demo, and then straightaway go into network or PBM gaming, you will have endless hours of fun and serious (in chess level, or, to put it USMC wise, in Tactical Vignette level style).

My take on TacOps, FWIW.

Rattler

1. Arma Armed Assault

Based off of the RL military training sim VBS2.
Here are some links to show you game play. Mind this is Actual in game footage and sounds.

No military simulator comes close!

A video from the Arma- Ace Mod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbsf1rSz8RQ&feature=related

Heres a video for the Arma- Iraq modern warfare mod
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9AW6d-14kk&feature=fvw

Just listen how realistic the Shockwave from the 500lbr sounds....lol, amazing!

By far the best sim EVER. This is in no way shape or form a game. So please don't go out and get it expecting to just shoot people up. Sometimes in game you'll go for hours looking for IED's or searching houses, and not see a single insurgent. If you get bored just give it a while, or try bringing your convoy straight through a hostile area...lol.

It's an old game and I can't remember the name of it but it was an M1 Abrams tank simulation. My stepdad played it and he said it was incredibly realistic.

Back