Top 10 Sexiest aircraft

Probably at BVR, but if it got into a dogfight with a Eurofighter or Su-35 then the USAF will need to replace it real quick.

Then it beter not get into a tangle with a eurofighter or SU-35, Cause the Air force just got it and Obama will give the deer in the headlight look if one gets blown away, But I'll put a Rhino up against either plane one on one any day :)

(Rhino=F-18 Superhornet..........Tomcat with a new body is what I was told by the guys that fly it :) )

And we always have the F-35 Joint strike fighter, well if they ever build it and stop arguing about wether or not it needs a tailhook

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, apparently the F-35 has trouble taking off from an aircraft carrier.

I think they shouldnt have taken the tomcats out of service, y'know. They still would have made any less sophisticated air force worry.

Yeah, apparently the F-35 has trouble taking off from an aircraft carrier.

I think they shouldnt have taken the tomcats out of service, y'know. They still would have made any less sophisticated air force worry.

Since I doubt you can supply sources to support your contention, I will supply the following:

http:////www.flightglobal.com/artic...ed-martin-debuts-first-f-35c-for-us-navy.html

"The CF-1 prototype model is now expected to start flight tests in late December, reflecting a three-month schedule slip. It is projected to be the fourth F-35 prototype to enter flight test, following the non-production configuration AA-1, and STOVL aircraft BF-1 and BF-2."

But I'll put a Rhino up against either plane one on one any day :)

(Rhino=F-18 Superhornet..........Tomcat with a new body is what I was told by the guys that fly it :) )

I know, Navy pride and all, but I wouldn't put a Rhino up against a Raptor without some serious voodoo on my side...

Sure have mate, and if I imagined it going up against a Su-35 or MiG-35 in a dogfight you might aswell compare it to a black belt martial artist fighting a 90 year old peace loving hippy.

The latter representing the F22, of course.

In test combat F 15's could not deal with the F22 and none of our F 15's ever lost to a Mig. The F 22's agility and stealth will make it damn hard to just target...assuming you last that long. Have the Russian planes caught up to the F-15? Perhaps,but F-15 jocks have said 5 F-15's can't take out one Raptor....

Cost effective? Maybe, maybe not.
High maintanance? We'll see. It's fast,agile,and stealthy enough that few current fighters can find it and get a lock on it. I doubt there's many times an F 22 gets in a twisty dogfight with guns.

I used to spar with a couple of roomies who were martial artists,when I was a YOUNG peace loving hippy. Now.....30 yr older..if a Black Belt was after me,I'd just shoot the bloke in the knee and jog away. :2guns:

Sexiest bird? The Blackbird. Just getting to see one take off once was a thrill.

Last edited:
I know, Navy pride and all, but I wouldn't put a Rhino up against a Raptor without some serious voodoo on my side...

I would after seeing first hand what a Rhino can do I'd have to go with the F-18 SH, Of course I'd always place my money on a Cat any day.
I've seen first hand what the Superhornet can do compared to the F-35 at an air show competition, and the only advantage the 35 has is stealth, and one hellofa tight turning radius, BUT the Rhino's can do something the 35 can't, the Rhino can use its cannon and rip the plastic wings off a F-35, and I don't care how much hiding from radar a 35 can do, line of sight is STILL a pilots best friend in combat

Since I doubt you can supply sources to support your contention, I will supply the following:

http:////www.flightglobal.com/artic...ed-martin-debuts-first-f-35c-for-us-navy.html

"The CF-1 prototype model is now expected to start flight tests in late December, reflecting a three-month schedule slip. It is projected to be the fourth F-35 prototype to enter flight test, following the non-production configuration AA-1, and STOVL aircraft BF-1 and BF-2."

Only one engine? They must be really reliable, as a mech I'd be damed if I got in a bird with one engine. I used to have the ulitmate respect for A-7 drivers. They have major kohonas

How bout rotary aircraft?
For what?

Only one engine? They must be really reliable, as a mech I'd be damed if I got in a bird with one engine. I used to have the ulitmate respect for A-7 drivers. They have major kohonas

You may be right about single engine, except for the fact that almost all aircraft during WWI were single engine off the carriers.:)

In test combat F 15's could not deal with the F22 and none of our F 15's ever lost to a Mig. The F 22's agility and stealth will make it damn hard to just target...assuming you last that long. Have the Russian planes caught up to the F-15? Perhaps,but F-15 jocks have said 5 F-15's can't take out one Raptor....

Cost effective? Maybe, maybe not.
High maintanance? We'll see. It's fast,agile,and stealthy enough that few current fighters can find it and get a lock on it. I doubt there's many times an F 22 gets in a twisty dogfight with guns.

I used to spar with a couple of roomies who were martial artists,when I was a YOUNG peace loving hippy. Now.....30 yr older..if a Black Belt was after me,I'd just shoot the bloke in the knee and jog away. :2guns:

Sexiest bird? The Blackbird. Just getting to see one take off once was a thrill.

Thats because the USAF has not fought against an air force that is capable of doing Jack Schitt. Its different when one of the best air forces in the world takes on some peasant air force.

Since I doubt you can supply sources to support your contention

Heres a link for you:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/f-35-jsf-hit-by-serious-design-problems-04311/
And another one for the beloved F-22:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/09/AR2009070903020.html

Thats because the USAF has not fought against an air force that is capable of doing Jack Schitt. Its different when one of the best air forces in the world takes on some peasant air force.
Is it the US fault that no other Air Force can produce anything to challenge them.:lol:

What? You could not find anything more than 2 years out of date?

Woa no need for a flame war, aviation is constantly being changed and upgraded, who knows who will make the next big leap in military aviation, especially in todays bad economy.

You may be right about single engine, except for the fact that almost all aircraft during WWI were single engine off the carriers.:)

Yea they were, but back then (1) they didn't know any better, (2) anything before the Essex class couldn't handle multi engine aircraft on a regular basis, (3) single engine aircraft were easier and faster to produce in WW2 (4) Those pilots had bigger kahonas than ANY modern pilot.
Oh btw I'll put the turning ability of a P51D with a Merlin engine up against ANY modern aircraft , but for stealth against modern aircraft radar, I'll take a Gloucester Gladiator, which doesn't exactly bounce a signal on conventional radar :)

Not to mention WWII.....ummm what WWI Carriers?

HMS Furious:
"On 19 July 1918, she launched a historic air strike that destroyed two enemy airships and their support facilities at Tondern, in northern Germany. A month earlier, in another historic incident, she had used both anti-aircraft guns and fighter aircraft to thwart an attack by German seaplanes."
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-fornv/uk/uksh-f/furis-6.htm

Actually, I meant to say WWII, but since you asked, I thought I would educate you.:)

Yea they were, but back then (1) they didn't know any better, (2) anything before the Essex class couldn't handle multi engine aircraft on a regular basis, (3) single engine aircraft were easier and faster to produce in WW2 (4) Those pilots had bigger kahonas than ANY modern pilot.
Oh btw I'll put the turning ability of a P51D with a Merlin engine up against ANY modern aircraft , but for stealth against modern aircraft radar, I'll take a Gloucester Gladiator, which doesn't exactly bounce a signal on conventional radar :)

Realistically, doesn't matter whether than can turn, go fast, or fight. Since we are looking for the sexist aircraft, we may have to look at nose art?:)

Hello
United States military aircraft are all given specific designations by the Department of Defense known as MDS designations (Mission Design Series) that identify their design and purpose. This joint designation system was introduced by the Department of Defense in 1962, replacing the separate systems of the US Air Force, US Navy, US Marine Corps, US Army, and US Coast Guard.

removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Back