Top 10 Fighters of the 70s and 80s

shocktroop

Which fighters of the 70s and 80s do you think are the best?

This is my vote:
1. F-15C
2. F-16C
3. F-18C
4. F-14A
5. Mirage 2000
6. Tornado ADV
7. JA37 Viggen
8. Su-27
9. MiG-29
10. MiG-31

Last edited:
You have to establish what you mean by fighter. Do you mean a dogfighter or an interceptor? The Mig-29 is a dogfighter whilst the Mig-31 is an interceptor.

I think you are unfair on the Russian fighters. I'd have both the Su-27 and Mig-29 far higher, in the top 5 at least. I agree with your 1st 2 choices though.

when I said fighters I ment fighters and interceptors in terms of their air to air capability.
The reason i put the Russian aircraft so low is because they are good in terms of close dogfight, but in terms of BVR combat they are inferior, and modern aircombat starts from BVR range.
Also, for example, the MiG-29 didn't preform very well, it was shot down by F-15s, F-14s and other western aircraft in many wars, and the MiG-29 never shot down an enemy fighter. Iraqi pilots that flew MiG-29s were poorly trained, but the losses are also due to the MiG-29s preformance.

1: F-14A/D
2: F-15C/D
3: F-4E
4: F/A-18
5: F-16C
6: Tornado
7: MiG-29
8: F-21 Kfir
9: Mirage F-1EQ
10: MiG-25

--------------

MiG-29 is equivalent of F-16 falcon but its main problem is dependency on ground control (like all Russian fighters and bombers) and feul problems which reduces its operational range effectively but over all it is a great airplane and works fine if driven by trained pilot

MiG-31 never entered the service so its evaluation can not be based on its service history though

Last edited:
3: F-4E
5: F-16C
6: Tornado
7: MiG-29
3: F-16C
5: 6: MiG-29
6: MiG-29
7: Tornado

Mig 31 was a terrible fighter, it was a bullet with wings. It turned about as well as a bullet to.

The F14 was a terrible dog fighting aircraft. Pilots called it a "Grape" meaning if the pilot put it into a few hard turns the power would squeeze out of it and could not be easily regained. The airforce and navy rarely put their aircraft in head to head mock dogfights but when they did given pilots of equal ability the f14 always lost. You guys should quit getting your info from top gun.

As for the government trying to kill the f15 and f16 its kind of a long story and boils down to politicians making poor decisions for the military. A good read would be the bio on John Boyd if you are intrested in the subject.

The F14 was a terrible dog fighting aircraft. Pilots called it a "Grape" meaning if the pilot put it into a few hard turns the power would squeeze out of it and could not be easily regained. The airforce and navy rarely put their aircraft in head to head mock dogfights but when they did given pilots of equal ability the f14 always lost.

The engine problem was fixed very early on and the kill ratios disprove your other point themselves.

Rabs said:
The engine problem was fixed very early on and the kill ratios disprove your other point themselves.
Yes but the Kill ratios were mostly against 3 rate pilots from middle eastern countries with inferior planes (SU-17s, MiG-23). I think the F-14 could have been in real trouble against a Soviet, European, or USAF pilot, espically in a dogfight. Remember the F-14 was designed for fleet defense it was never designed as a dogfighter). A MiG-29 or SU-27 could run laps around it.

Last edited:
1. F-15C
2. F-16C
3. F-18C
4. F-14A
5. Mirage 2000
6. Tornado ADV
7. JA37 Viggen
8. MiG-31
9. F-4E
10. MiG-29

MightyMacbeth said:
Hey what about the Swedish Saab-37 Viggen?

anyone? its an interesting choice.. I think it should be concidered..
If you read the thread from beginning you would have noticed that it was number 7 on shocktroop's list.

:m16:

Back